Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Startup crash using 'Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TB' caused by KS output component (Read 1140 times) previous topic - next topic

Startup crash using 'Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TB' caused by KS output component

Hi

I was going to post this startup crash query but I finally managed to resolve it by myself and I want to share it here, maybe I'll help others with the same scenario.

I installed 1.6.4 on my new Dell XPS 13 2in1 and everything went smooth, manually copying all my 10+ years carefully made configurations, plugins... the lot.

But I noticed that when I connect the dock WD19TB (it has an additional soundcard), foobar crashed at start. (Even with this dock's soundcard not being selected nor used in any way)

It did start in safe mode, tho.

So I dug the crash report and found that the foo_out_ks.dll component was the cause, so I removed it and now it starts.

I really wasn't using this component anymore, so its all fine for me.

If any one wants to dig and fix it, here are the log files.

I'm pretty sure that it has to be related to some obscure Thunderbolt layer issue. I'm noticing that other USB periphearls I have don't behave as smooth as it were when connected to normal USB ports (not Docked in an USB-C/Thunderbolt interface)
foobar2000->[Leckerton Audio UHA-3 | FiiO E10 | Steinberg UR22 MKII]->[Etymotic ER4-P/S | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm | Sennheisser HD 6XX]

Re: Startup crash using 'Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TB' caused by KS output component

Reply #1
KS component isn't guaranteed to be compatible with anything newer than Windows XP anyway. And due to how it works, many times during its development life, it was found to cause faulty drivers to bluescreen the system. Not the fault of the component, necessarily, as some drivers did it and some didn't.

Re: Startup crash using 'Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TB' caused by KS output component

Reply #2
I see... well, I've been a couple of weeks waiting for some driver or firmware update to fix that (I didn't connect the Dock many times), so if I had analyzed the error dump earlier I would figured out then.
foobar2000->[Leckerton Audio UHA-3 | FiiO E10 | Steinberg UR22 MKII]->[Etymotic ER4-P/S | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm | Sennheisser HD 6XX]

Reply #3
By the way, as of Windows Vista and newer, there was a new hotness which replaced directly using kernel streaming: WASAPI. WASAPI supports two modes, shared, which goes through the system mixer and therefore allows system sounds, and exclusive, which does not, and therefore blocks system sounds. Both modes require the app to resample to the system sound rate, or otherwise forcibly set the sample rate, causing a device switch.

foobar2000 1.6 uses WASAPI Shared instead of DirectSound. Both 1.6, and older versions prior to it, support an extra WASAPI output component which does Exclusive mode. They both also support a third party WASAPI Shared component that does the same as 1.6 default output, except implemented by a different developer, thus it may behave differently.