Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resampler plugin (Read 483136 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Resampler plugin

Reply #300
If the source file is already at the target sample rate, does this plugin get bypassed?

Reply #301
Please for explanation about the Passband value and which value produces most accurate resampling, 95%, 99%, or something between them?

With sample-rates of 44100Hz or above, the 95% value preserves the entire audio band.  The 99% option exists really only for marketing reasons, following a precedent set by some commercial resamplers.  If you look at the documentation at the SoX website, you'll see that there is no recommendation other than for the default, 95%.

Reply #304
Please for explanation about the Passband value and which value produces most accurate resampling, 95%, 99%, or something between them?

The passband position is a tradeoff. You trade more bandwidth with steeper (longer, slower) filters, more ripple, etc. It is no "more accurate" setting.

Reply #305
Could I set 24-bit or 32-bit somewhere, or is it pointless?

Reply #306
Could I set 24-bit or 32-bit somewhere, or is it pointless?

File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output -> Output format

But it is quite pointless.

Reply #308
I don't see why it shouldn't let you modify the output's bit depth.

Make sure you're seeing this: http://i.imgur.com/ujavx.png?1

Reply #309
Ah-ha, I had to change the setting to use explicitly my soundcard(with Kernel Streaming):
Before:
http://i.imgbox.com/acwAb5r6.png
After:
http://i.imgbox.com/adjXTRh7.png
This option doesn't exist with DS(DirectSound). Can it be added? Because using KS results that I only hear foobar2000,
nothing else makes a sound

So, this resampler should give the best audio quality? I am resampling up to 192000Hz.
Oh and btw, I didn't understand what the aliasing does, seems like one picture is missing from the explanation...

Reply #310
All of this is off-topic, but ...

DS will always use 32-bit on Vista/7/8,
Resampling to 192 kHz will not improve audio quality,
Aliasing.

If you have questions I recommend opening a new thread in the appropriate forum or doing a search.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #311
Pictures from http://src.infinitewave.ca/ , resampling of a sine sweep signal.

without aliasing:

with aliasing:

Reply #313
"Aliasing" option actually means aliasing for downsampling ang imaging for upsampling.

Reply #314
True, but the InfiniteWave graphs are all for downsampling, so what we are seeing here is aliasing, and since the (high-level) aliasing is at >20kHz, it is above the passband.

The bottom graph also show some low-level aliasing below the passband (the purple line extending from the high-level aliasing).  So a more accurate description of the aliasing option (for downsampling) might be that it allows aliasing, at levels above the selected artefact rejection level, above the passband; below the passband there may also be aliasing (and even without the aliasing option) but only at levels less than or equal to the selected artefact rejection level.

(These graphs are not from SoX BTW, but the same principles apply.)

Reply #315
Hello, is there going to be a "mod" edition of 0.8.3?

I find the "mod" version very practical, I use it to upsample/downsample different sample rates.

Good & fast resampler based on SoX resampling routines. (several times faster than PPHS Ultra).

0.8.3 exp: [attachment=7259:foo_dsp_...er_0.8.3.zip] sources: [attachment=7260:foo_dsp_....8.3_src.rar]

0.8.2:
normal version: [attachment=7228:foo_dsp_...er_0.8.2.zip]modified: [attachment=7229:foo_dsp_...od_0.8.2.zip]and [attachment=7230:foo_dsp_...d2_0.8.2.zip]
sources: [attachment=7231:foo_dsp_....8.2_src.rar]

version for foobar2000 0.9.4+: see post #3

Discussion thread is here.

Reply #316
I just wanted to add my thanks for your work on this resampler. I use the mod1 version to resample the few tracks I have at 22050 to conform with my DACport LX (16/24 - 44.1/48/88.2/96). It is fantastic!

Reply #317
Hello,
would you be so kind and add the possibility to select the target samplerate depending on source samplerate? It would be very useful for some USB dacs with 2 masterclocks 22mhz and 24mhz which select the masterclock speed depending on incoming usb stream. For example Casea Orion Lite. Because resampling just to one fixed samplerate cancels the advantage of such 2 masterclock dacs. Many thanks.

Reply #318
Probably you can do it using _mod and _mod2 versions.

Reply #319
Because resampling just to one fixed samplerate cancels the advantage of such 2 masterclock dacs.

May I ask you why you resample then?
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #320
In the DSP plugin I don't see an option to dither. What settings with the plugin would I need to use if going from 24bit/96kHz to 16bit/44.1kHz? Or should I use the command line instead and how would I do that with foobar?

Reply #321
Because resampling just to one fixed samplerate cancels the advantage of such 2 masterclock dacs.

May I ask you why you resample then?

every dac chip resamples internally, but then integrated resampler is not as good as Sox, so pre-resampling the 44khz (and other) material 4x to 176khz will skip 2 levels of internal resampler in dac chip. These first two levels are most important for quality. Addtional benefit is that you can choose your own filter (for example 90% passband, which results in slow roll off filter), because AD1955 chip doesn't have selectable filters and the default one is quite sharp = more artefacts.
For same reason Mark Levinson highend dacs use DSP in front of DAC chip, with custom filters/resamplers

Reply #322
Correct, most of the simple on-chip oversamplers in the DAC integrated circuits are just... OK. The filtering is simplified compared with a PC or DSP version and audio quality is not at maximum possible.

Reply #323
Any updates?

Reply #324
hey guys, first post here:

i'd like to try sox in foobar and dragged and dropped the dll into the components folder.
but when right clicking on an audio file in the playlist and go to convert i only get "quick convert" and default as an option.

Could somebody help me ? i'd like to convert files from 44.1 24 bit to 96 24 bit and vice versa.

thank you