Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: software that can rip from external CD player PCM bitstream (Read 2243 times) previous topic - next topic

software that can rip from external CD player PCM bitstream

Most CD ripping is done one-CD-at-a-time using the PC's DVD ROM. I have a CD Jukebox that holds 200 CD's and has a TOSLink output. I know there are soundcards that have a TOSLink input. Is there any software capable of interpreting the incoming bitstream and automatically storing the proper header information with each ripped file in an associated "album" folder, as occurs when ripping is done from the PC's DVD-ROM. I understand that the internal DVD-ROM can access additional information that isn't available via the PCM input, but I also know that there are applications that can identify songs just by "hearing" them. What I envision is software that "hears" the incoming bitstream and can then associate the song with the album and create the proper header information. Am I dreaming? If anyone knows of software that can perform some or all of this functionality, please reply. Thanks.

Reply #1
There is software and special "robots" for automated CD ripping (see the dBpoweramp website[/u]).

I think what you're proposing is possible, but I suspect there would be some programming involved.

I understand that the internal DVD-ROM can access additional information that isn't available via the PCM input
A few CDs have CD Text[/u], but most don't have any album/artist information stored on the disc.  When you play a CD on your computer (the 1st time), it gets (hopefully unique) information about the number of songs and the lengths of each track, and that information gets compared to an online database (i.e.
CDDB[/u]) where it retreives the album/artist information.  (After that, the information is normally stored locally by your ripper/player software, so it doesn't have to go online next time you load the CD into your computer.)

...but I also know that there are applications that can identify songs just by "hearing" them.
See MusicDNS[/u].

P.S.
You'd also be ripping at 1X speed.  So although you could rip 200 CDs unattended, you'd have to wait a week for it to finish.

Reply #2
CD Text

This goes beyond CD-TEXT.  A disc's table of contents determines where on the disc tracks begin.  This information is not transmitted over SPDIF.