Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help, making graphs for listening tests? (Read 7300 times) previous topic - next topic

Help, making graphs for listening tests?

Reply #2
Thanks, it worked. Even thou, Excel doesn't export to EPS.

For posterity, with MATLAB use boxplot to do that type of graphics.

Cheers.

Reply #3

Cheers.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317856"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would use Matlab anyway, in your case (altough exporting can sometimes be a pain in the...)

Reply #4

Cheers.

I would use Matlab anyway, in your case (altough exporting can sometimes be a pain in the...)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317863"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I started the thread i did not know how to do it in MATLAB, I asked a couple of guys with more experience and they answered my question. I posted the solution just for posterity

I find it odd that you've had problems when exporting, can you elaborate so I know what could happen and how to solve it?.
Because I've never had a problem when exporting to EPS, files are read flawlessly when compiling the tex files, and no problems so far when doing dvi to pdf.

Cheers.

Reply #5

Cheers.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317863"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I started the thread i did not know how to do it in MATLAB, I asked a couple of guys with more experience and they answered my question. I posted the solution just for posterity

I find it odd that you've had problems when exporting, can you elaborate so I know what could happen and how to solve it?.
Because I've never had a problem when exporting to EPS, files are read flawlessly when compiling the tex files, and no problems so far when doing dvi to pdf.

Cheers.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317869"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm currently working on my master thesis, working in Scientific Word (LaTeX for noobs, I'm planning to learn "plain" LaTeX in the future). I have to export a lot of figures in Matlab, and I've encountered a number of problems:

* Greek characters aren't sometimes exported. Therefore, I copy normal graphs to the clipboard and paste them in Scientific Word. When pasting, SW makes a .wmf file, which I rename myself and re-import in SW afterwards.

* I export surface plots and imagescales using the "print" command to jpg. However, a bug in one of the Matlab versions I use (6.5 or 7.0) results in altered colors (also applies to eps by the way). For example white text becomes black. So, I'm forced to use a certain Matlab version for these kind of figures.

* edit: Also, sometimes the size and position of text changes during exports.

It's all pretty annoying. However, I know workarounds so in the end it works.

Reply #6
I'm currently working on my master thesis, working in Scientific Word (LaTeX for noobs, I'm planning to learn "plain" LaTeX in the future). I have to export a lot of figures in Matlab, and I've encountered a number of problems:

* Greek characters aren't sometimes exported. Therefore, I copy normal graphs to the clipboard and paste them in Scientific Word. When pasting, SW makes a .wmf file, which I rename myself and re-import in SW afterwards.

* I export surface plots and imagescales using the "print" command to jpg. However, a bug in one of the Matlab versions I use (6.5 or 7.0) results in altered colors (also applies to eps by the way). For example white text becomes black. So, I'm forced to use a certain Matlab version for these kind of figures.

* edit: Also, sometimes the size and position of text changes during exports.

It's all pretty annoying. However, I know workarounds so in the end it works.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317870"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Export the MATLAB figures to EPS format, and to put the figure on your document use this LaTeX code:

Code: [Select]
\begin{figure}[h]
\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=13cm]{yourfile.eps}
\caption{Desired caption for the figure} \label{fig:figurelabel}
\end{center}
\end{figure}

I use WinEdt to edit LaTeX code, it has predefined key shortcuts and icons to insert latex code.

Cheers.

Reply #7
Export the MATLAB figures to EPS format, and to put the figure on your document use this LaTeX code:
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317893"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the tip, but I've tried all sort of workarounds and some issues just can't be solved in a simple manner 

The disappearing characters and changing colors happen for every graphics format, including EPS. Exporting figures is just not 100% WYSIWYG. I hope we get an update for Matlab at the university soon, maybe some issues are solved in R14.

Still, plain LaTeX is much more flexible than Scientific Word. We also have TeXnicCenter (Windows TeX editor), seems also nice.

Reply #8
I've never seen that with EPS files, they are meant to be portable. I'm thinking your problem lies within your editor not the files themselves because you said it wasn't plain LaTeX and who knows what the editor does to the files.

Try opening an EPS file with GSview and see if it is displayed correctly.

If you want some more LaTeX help, PM me, as this thread is going wayy off-topic.

Greetings.

Reply #9
Yes, we're going a little off topic. However, as long as we're talking about exporting figures it may be interesting to other people, I think. If the moderators don't agree please let me know.

Anyway, would you care to test the following .eps file? I've exported it from Matlab 6.5. It is one of my graphs with white text in it. In my viewers (both Scientific Word and GSView), the text becomes black.

Test .eps file

Thanks in advance!

Reply #10
It shows black text (both in gsview and coreldraw), try and save the figure to .fig (matlab own format) and upload it. I'll try and find a solution.