Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can anyone help me cleanup very dear MP3 of old (1985) song by friend? (Read 5345 times) previous topic - next topic

Can anyone help me cleanup very dear MP3 of old (1985) song by friend?

Hi,
I am not sure that I am at the right forum but I hope that someone can help me. I have a very dear mp3 of a song that my friend sang in 1985 and I was wondering if anyone can try and clean it and make it better or at least give me some pointers to how I can do that myself.
Thanks in advance! Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
Neb

Reply #1
In remembrance of the last loss of precious music reported here, I hope you have (multiple!) backups of that file.

Then you can try to see if any tools in Audacity help with your files, it is a free (as in speech) audio editor. Since you have not been very specific, I think you could try the "Noise Removal" effect for starters. Please note that every time you save the file as .MP3 in audacity, you encode the decoded data again, which very likely reduces fidelity every time you do so, and is similar to a transcode of the file, and in extreme cases will result in generation loss effects. So it is better to use audacity project files or save to .WAV files as long as you work on the files, and only save the end product as MP3.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
Thank you very much! This will be a new territory for me but I will give it a try. I was hoping that there are people who do this as their second nature and would help. However, learning a little is a great thing too. Cheers!

Reply #3
If you post it, very likely some people will look at it and give you an idea if much can be realistically done. The making of silk purses from pig's ears has not advanced all that much since the high middle ages.

Reply #4
Hi,
I am not sure that I am at the right forum but I hope that someone can help me. I have a very dear mp3 of a song that my friend sang in 1985 and I was wondering if anyone can try and clean it and make it better or at least give me some pointers to how I can do that myself.
Thanks in advance! Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
Neb

If you can upload it somewhere and provide the link here, I might be able to make it sound better (if possible) and then I will put the wav file online somewhere (Rapidshare or Hotfile) for you to download. I'm familiar with Noise/Hiss reduction, click removal and Graphic Equalizer editing processes.