Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Restore file associations after uninstall component (Read 1304 times) previous topic - next topic

Restore file associations after uninstall component

Will it possible to do this? foobar2000 still handles the files even after component being uninstalled and formats are not supported anymore. Thanks

Re: Restore file associations after uninstall component

Reply #1
You need to use Windows control panel options for setting file associations.
 In order to do what you are asking for foobar would need to create registry backups during installation of each component and roll them back upon its deinstallation. Which would be big trouble as component deinstallation doesn't require usage of interface - you may simply delete dll file from HDD. And then require foobar to be able to react by rolling back registry. And what to do if certain file association didn't exist before component installation? Foobar should delete entire registry directories and classes? Doesn't sound like something easy to be done safely.

Reply #2
That's not how associations work in Windows 10. You can only register that a given file type is supported by your application, you cannot actually force the association, or set it to another application, for that matter.

foobar2000 removing associations should also leave it up to the user to choose an application again, or fall back to whatever supported it prior to association.

Reply #3
For Windows 10, open the properties of a file. Click the Change button in the Open With section to choose the application that should open it. Repeat as necessary.

Reply #4
I thought it sounds as easy as uninstall (which revert all file association) then reinstall foobar2000. I'm using Windows 10 btw. That might be the job of uninstaller or all did by Windows itself. Thank you:)

Reply #5
Foobar's uninstaller is meant for uninstalling things that it knows - core and 1st party components. Remember, that foobar uses 3rd party plugins that enhance file formats support and aren't officially registered in any way so it would be hard for uninstaller to know them / recognize them separately. They are the biggest issue/challange here, as Windows also has no means for determining what was supported as a core functionality (and is still supported/playable after plugin deinstallation) and what was supported by 3rd party plugin.
I am not saying that it is unsolvable, but sounds rather like big hassle for rather limited usage.

Reply #6
Finally I found that running "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater /sanitize" does what I wanted

Reply #7
Wow. Foobar is still able to demonstrate unknown but useful functionalities after all these years of using it. Well done!

Reply #8
lol actually it's not really restore the associations, it seems just clear associations made by foobar2000 (happened to see this running during uninstall). foobar2000 will re-associate again once I open it.

Reply #9
It won't associate anything you don't have a component for installed.

Reply #10
That command removes .fb2k-component association too and you need to re-run the installer to get it back. You can manually remove the foobar2000 association for an old extension by removing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\<old extension>\UserChoice registry key. That way when you try to open such a file Windows will ask for a program and reassociate the extension to what you select.