Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus update to 1.2.1 in the works? (Read 1467 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus update to 1.2.1 in the works?

Hello, and thanks for this great player!

I'm a fan of the Opus codec, and use Foobar regularly to encode to that format as well as play Opus radio streams. The free encoder plugin pack was updated at the end of June to include support for libopus 1.2.1.  However, the Foobar decoder for playback still only supports up to 1.1.4, if using the ffmpeg version of fb2k's supplied avcodec-fb2k-57.dll, which shows as 3.2.4, reflects the same decoder libraries as the regular ffmpeg 3.2.4 version at the Zeranoe site.  Are there plans to update that to a later version when fb2k 1.3.17 is released?

Re: Opus update to 1.2.1 in the works?

Reply #1
Yes, the FFmpeg libraries get updated on every foobar2000 release.

Reply #2
foobar2000 1.3.16 uses the same ffmpeg libraries as foobar2000 1.3.15.

Reply #3
IIRC there was something to fix in .15 and Peter released .16 almost right away.

Reply #4
Yea, I wish he'd update the ffmpeg a little more often. It's the same thing with MX player. Perhaps try MPC-HC w/ the latest LAV filters for opus decoding.

Reply #5
I've been told he doesn't even use FFmpeg for Opus decoding and I am sure he does all the proper testing to see if an update is really necessary, what's all the rush? Just enjoy the music guys.

Reply #6
I guess I got greedy after Case did the encoder package re-issue 3 days after 1.2.1 came out.  It's true that the encoder had the major improvements, the decoder just had a speed bump-up unlike the 1.14 release.

eahm I can't argue, it's indeed all about enjoying the music  :)   Thanks to all for the responses!

Reply #7
libopus changes will not affect the decoding quality, as the changes mostly apply to encoding. Decoding has been set in stone since the first stable release, 1.0.

FFmpeg is only used for formats where its decoder is measurably faster than the official decoder. Enabling Opus decoding in FFmpeg would also necessitate enabling libswresample, since it uses that for upsampling Silk and Hybrid mode frames.