Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar 0.9x doesn't support CUE files with more than 99 tracks. (Read 13068 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar 0.9x doesn't support CUE files with more than 99 tracks.

I have mp3 file (which is mix consisted of 101 tracks) and cue file for it. When I try to open this cue file in foobar2000 (any of 0.9 version), console shows me an error message "Unable to open item for playback (Error parsing cuesheet: invalid track number (line 400))". But this file is opened in foobar2000 (version 0.8.3) without problem.

Peter, why did you make this limitation? Does it possible to handle such 'non-standart' cue files?

To moderators: please, move this topic here
The past  was yesterday...

Reply #2
0.9 follows the specification set out in the CDRWIN manual.  IIRC this specification states the limit as 99 tracks.

I know about this specification. But... foobar2000 v0.8.3 opens this file! And what should I do in this situation?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=45062

Thanks, I read it. And I got the same problem (and the same mix ).

Reply #3
foobar 0.8.3 did not adhere to the spec.  Simple as that.

I dunno... use foobar 0.8.3 or ACDIR?

Edit: I'm not sure if ACDIR handles more than 99 tracks, but I doubt it checks.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
So, as I understand, Peter (the author of foobar2000) won't change this behaviour due to specification? Heh...

Reply #5
I had the same problem with the same mix, I ended up making APL links instead. I had to work around the 99 track limit by REMing the last few tracks then manually creating the remaining APL files.

I can zip up the files and post them to the Uploads section of the forum unless there is a problem with doing that.

Reply #6
pc.mechanic

Please, upload your files or tell me in detail what is "APL link/file". Thanks.

Reply #7
I didn't know how to explain what an APL is myself but found this on the forums. You will need the Monkey's Audio decoding support plugin from http://www.foobar2000.com/components/index.html
APL are small text files that act as pointers to track start times in one Big APE file.

They are generated from a tool called MakeAPL that takes a cue file and creates APL files. THese APL files allow tracks to be picked out from an album and mixed with other playlists. So one can pick out certain tracks from an album that was ripped as one big APE file.

Foobar with the plugin mentioned above can create these as well, and you can write them by hand.
It should handle any metadata you choose to put in it, I have not run into anything it can't do yet. My one complaint I guess would be that it is 1 file per track, unlike a cuesheet which is 1 file per album. If there were a format as capable as APL but was a 1 file per album solution, I'd prefer to use that.

If you have renamed your mp3, you will need to change each file to reflect your file name, Notepad++'s Find and replace can replace text in all open documents which would make this a snap.

I'll get it uploaded soon, and post a link to the topic here.

Here it is: Rapidshare I didn't put it in the uploads section as it doesn't really have anything to do with foobar. It's just the APL Links, not the mp3, it's a 55 KB Zip file.

Reply #8
pc.mechanic
Thank you a lot for your advice, but I've already "solved" the problem.

PS: This topic may be closed. Thanks to all.

Reply #9
Hi CJ Flash,

this is an old thread, but could you tell us how did you solve the problem?

Wbr, Tatu

pc.mechanic
Thank you a lot for your advice, but I've already "solved" the problem.

PS: This topic may be closed. Thanks to all.

Reply #10
Yes, I can. I've asked some man to patch the checking routine. It's not legal but I consider that program's usability is more important.

PS: Please, don't ask me to upload the patch or post offsets/bytes. Better try to convince Peter to make this checking 'switchable' or remove it totally.

Reply #11
Yes, I can. I've asked some man to patch the checking routine. It's not legal but I consider that program's usability is more important.

PS: Please, don't ask me to upload the patch or post offsets/bytes. Better try to convince Peter to make this checking 'switchable' or remove it totally.

CJ,

thanks for the info. I think it's back to an older version for me. I used to rip the (internet radio) streams I listen to, as a sort of time-machine and also in order to be able to find out what songs or albums were good enough to be purchased etc.

Now, with Foobar 0.9x, the stream ripper (the modified http-reader component) seems to be gone for good and I can't even play back the previously recorded streams with any cue-info, because they normally contain more than 99 songs...

It's a shame, Foobar 0.9x has been much more stable than 0.8x for me...  Hope the checking will be switchable in the future.

Wbr, Tatu

Reply #12
Rather than create a new thread I thought I would post in here.

Are there any plugins which allow cuesheets with more than 99 tracks?

I tried the same cuesheet which has 106 tracks with Meridian player on my Android phone, surprisingly it handles it fine.

Reply #13
Still no solution to force Foobar to accept cues with more than 99 tracks?

Reply #14
it aint going to happen. do a search, there have been loads of threads about it.

Reply #15
foobar2000 supports Matroska natively now, which supports "a whole lot" of chapters, and as a bonus you won't misuse CUE sheets for stuff they are not intended to do. I think mkvtoolnix can even take the non-compliant CUE as input to create the chapters (it works for compliant sheets at least).
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #16
Still no solution to force Foobar to accept cues with more than 99 tracks?

There still aren't any CDs with more than 99 tracks. 
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #18
Then you want a playlist, not a cuesheet.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #19
if it's an mp3, you could use pcutmp3 to split it into single tracks. i've used it myself and it works great.

http://wiki.themixingbowl.org/Pcutmp3

Reply #20

I dont understand how a playlist would make any difference? DJ Sets are just 1 mp3 file, the cuesheet shows the tracklist and track markers.

if it's an mp3, you could use pcutmp3 to split it into single tracks. i've used it myself and it works great.

http://wiki.themixingbowl.org/Pcutmp3

Thanks, I already use this but the main point is my mobile phone can support cuesheets with over 100 tracks but my PC can't?!

Reply #21
i just realised i only discovered pcutmp3 because of your post on ABI. i didn't recognise the name.

Reply #22

I dont understand how a playlist would make any difference? DJ Sets are just 1 mp3 file, the cuesheet shows the tracklist and track markers.

The cue sheet format was designed to describe the layout of an audio CD. Audio CDs cannot contain more than 99 tracks, according to the Red Book standard.

Thanks, I already use this but the main point is my mobile phone can support cuesheets with over 100 tracks but my PC can't?!

What? Your PC can do whatever its applications can do, which is whatever their developers code them to do. You could write your own program to support any kind of cue sheet you could imagine, if you wanted, so it's not a matter of your PC not being able to do it. foobar2000's developers are quite strict about adhering to the cue sheet standard--if there is such a thing, officially. Though by this logic they refused to allow it to read and write any arbitrary metadata field in REM lines, yet support ReplayGain and the fields added by EAC in this way.

Reply #23
Today I tried to convert a collection of 10 CDs to a single file and hit the 99 track limit. Following a hint in this thread I've patched fb2k v1.1 and it worked rather poorly. After converting a 10 CD set to a single file, song tags and track numbers became mixed up in the resulting file.

Reply #24
I got 99 problems but the cuesheet ain't one.