Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AIMP Questions (Read 4736 times) previous topic - next topic

AIMP Questions

Hi folks.

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of AIMP (v4.60 build 2180).  I like the sound quality of this audio player through my DAC.  I do have one question about it I do not see an obvious answer.  Perhaps someone here knows.

I have audio files stored on my NAS that I added to my AIMP library.  There files are APE, MP3, FLAC and OGG.  The FLAC files vary in freq (44.1k, 48k, 96k, 192k) and either 16 or 24 bit.  Looking at the AIMP settings, I do not see a way of using the source file to set the playback parameters.  I have to set a specific frequency and bitrate in these settings that appear to be fixed for all files I play.

Is there anyway to have the specific file currently being played determine these settings?  For example, I am currently playing a 16-bit 44.1kHz file.  Can I configure AIMP such that it sends 16-bit 44.1kHz to my DAC?  The next file to be played may then be a 192kHz 24-bit file.  I would then want this frequency and bit rate sent to the DAC as it.

If this is possible, I am not seeing how to do it.

Re: AIMP Questions

Reply #1
I don't even know how that works in reality, I know some apps can do it, but they are hardcore audiophile payware, like Roon, for example. But, I know that application must support exclusive mode, exclusive mode has to be configured in windows audio settings, and then the player will query output device for what is supported, and send it directly that. It will, AFAIU, be decoded first by the player, to some form of PCM which is then sent untouched to playback device.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
If you have an ASIO driver, you can use Foobar2000 instead. But changing the sampling rate brings inconveniences: click, no crossfading, other open applications losing sound. Therefore I always use a resampler by my choice. Last time I tried AIMP, it was set up to do some nice fading on track change in the DSP manager in settings.

It seems contradictory that you like the sound quality of the player, but desire to bypass its processing.

Reply #3
Thank you for posting.

I don't even know how that works in reality, I know some apps can do it, but they are hardcore audiophile payware, like Roon, for example. But, I know that application must support exclusive mode, exclusive mode has to be configured in windows audio settings, and then the player will query output device for what is supported, and send it directly that. It will, AFAIU, be decoded first by the player, to some form of PCM which is then sent untouched to playback device.

Yes -- I had it set for WASAPI exclusive, but it also required that I set a specific frequency.  This is the first player I had used that required this.

Reply #4
If you have an ASIO driver, you can use Foobar2000 instead. But changing the sampling rate brings inconveniences: click, no crossfading, other open applications losing sound. Therefore I always use a resampler by my choice. Last time I tried AIMP, it was set up to do some nice fading on track change in the DSP manager in settings.

It seems contradictory that you like the sound quality of the player, but desire to bypass its processing.

I have never been a fan of crossfading or any fading with any players ever.  I always disable that, and I disabled it with AIMP.

For your last point, the sound quality did sound good with AIMP set for 32-bit and 192kHz.  There is a downside though.  My DAC loses its own upsampling feature for anything played under 192kHz.  In past auditions, its upsampling really enhanced the listening experience greatly.  I did not hear the same benefit with AIMP, but I have not had a chance to audition it for very long.  I will do that today though.

Reply #5
It looks like AIMP always resamples 100% of the time, and this cannot be turned off by the user.  This is a feature of the software, and it is not the player for me.  I have uninstalled it.

I will give foobar2000 a try as suggested, but I have to find a good theme/interface for it first.

Reply #6
Have a look at MusicBee as well.
It supports WASAPI/Exclusive mode.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com