Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: i just purchased a 1962 zenith micro touch 2g player, number 169-128 (Read 2103 times) previous topic - next topic

i just purchased a 1962 zenith micro touch 2g player, number 169-128

can anyone help me find out how to convert these audio and power cables??  can send pictures but can;t copy images from compuer

thanks bill

Re: i just purchased a 1962 zenith micro touch 2g player, number 169-128

Reply #1
Is that a turntable/record player?   Is there any "electronics" inside?   (Tubes or transistors and/or maybe a speaker?)

If you can't identify the connectors maybe take it to a local repair shop.    It shouldn't be too hard to figure-out the wires and maybe solder-on some new connectors.

Reply #2
It's a turntable, tonearm and cartridge system, it's featured in this Zenith promo video ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDVDJh77B5A
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #3
I didn't watch the whole video...

The power connection should be easy.  You could cut-off the existing power connector and attach a regular power cord using  wire nuts.

For the audio there should be 4 wires coming form the phono cartridge,  left & right signal and ground.  Attaching RCA jacks or a cable with RCA plugs will require soldering.   There's probably a already terminal block where the fine-wires from the phono cartridge are soldered to some heavier-gauge wires that go to the preamp/amplifier.   The easiest DIY solution is to buy an RCA cable, cut it in half and solder the cut-ends inside the turntable. 

That looks like a magnetic cartridge, which is a good thing.    You do need a phono preamp or an older stereo with a phono-input.    Ceramic cartridges were also popular in the 60's (some cheap USB turntables still use them) .    If there is a flip-over stylus for playing 78's that's a ceramic cartridge.   They have higher output so they don't need a preamp, but they need a high-impedance input which you won't find on modern equipment.   You can plug into an "aux" or "tape" input, but the signal will be reduced and you'll loose the bass.

...The drive wheel (or drive belt) is probably bad.   And the stylus condition is unknown.   Economically, it doesn't make sense to update/repair that thing and you'd get better sound out of a new turntable so I'd only recommend repairing/updating it if you want it for nostalgic reasons.  

There are places online where you can drive wheels (and belts) for older equipment, or there was a guy who could replace the rubber on a drive wheel if a replacement wasn't available, and he would do general repairs of this old stuff.

Reply #4
can anyone help me find out how to convert these audio and power cables??  can send pictures but can;t copy images from compuer

thanks bill

If you bought it as a nostalgia retro thing it could be cool. If you want to actually play discs, I wouldn't bother. If the unit is exactly as shown on
youtube, the knob on the top is a the stylus select which means it's not a magnetic cartridge - ceramic at best. The platter on the video is warped
as is the record on it which was par for stamped steel in the '60s. The drive puck will need replacing and the mechanism and motor will need
to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed.  When you're all done I doubt the performance will reach a 2 on a scale of 1-10.  Nearly any brand name
Japanese or German table will out-perform the Zenith by a wide margin - that is if the goal is to play records and not as a cool retro player.