Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why oh why does Android refuse to play Opus? (Even with .ogg extension) (Read 45601 times) previous topic - next topic

Why oh why does Android refuse to play Opus? (Even with .ogg extension)

Okay, I've asked on the Android Questions subreddit, got useless answers saying "try another media player" bla bla.
I asked on XDA, my question wasn't accepted because their forums are disorganised and have no place for questions like this.
I'm really desperate (and a bit aggravated) at this point.

I've looked across the internet, and it seems the way everyone says to make Android recognize and play Opus files is to append the .ogg extension to the files. I've done that. The players now "recognize" the files. They still do not play. I have tried this with both Samsung Music and Google Play Music. It just shows the time as 0:00 and skips over all the songs in the album as it for some reason can't play them. My device is a J2 Prime meaning it runs Android 6.0.1. I know Android 5 added Opus support.

I have a video displaying the situation here: (Sorry for low quality but  I had to remove mic audio from it and it rendered low quality but still viewable) It's of one album that I encoded in opus and renamed to .ogg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p592Mc7bmmg

Why does this happen? All the files were encoded from FLAC using libopus1.3. Is it too "new" for 6.0.1 to play?

Re: Why oh why does Android refuse to play Opus? (Even with .ogg extension)

Reply #1

Why does this happen? All the files were encoded from FLAC using libopus1.3. Is it too "new" for 6.0.1 to play?

The player probably doesn't actually support that codec.

Try Poweramp (paid), Neutron (paid), or AIMP (free)

Reply #2
yayaya. on Hydro forum forget fb2k? mobile!

Reply #3

The player probably doesn't actually support that codec.

Try Poweramp (paid), Neutron (paid), or AIMP (free)

It's supposed to play if the system supports it. I can GUARANTEE that Google Play Music supports using it. I have seen people use it myself.

Reply #4
I would just ditch Android's (lack of) feature here and try whether VLC for Android does the job.

Reply #5
I actually have the answer.
I had the same question years ago on my Galaxy S7.
Samsung's implementation of audio decoding in Marshmallow (6.0.1) versions is bugged.
Gapless playback and Opus lib calls are completely broken and they got fixed in Nougat (7.0) and after.
While Samsung Music app DOES support Opus using the .ogg extension, the ROM/Software itself has a bug in the audio library part that didn't get resolved until 7.0.
I know it sucks...
Your only options right now is to either use somekind of custom Rom or to use an app like foobar2000 or poweramp that use their own decoders to decode audio.

Reply #6
This issue has been going on for literal years. No one at google seems to care. Here's the relevant link to their bug tracker:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/37054258

Reply #7
This issue has been going on for literal years. No one at google seems to care. Here's the relevant link to their bug tracker:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/37054258

He has a different problem since renaming the extension doesn't work either.  In this case it is probably just a bug in the Samsung ROM. 

Reply #8
and try whether VLC for Android does the job.
Does VLC for Android do any gapless job whatsoever? I haven't tried it, since VLC (for the Windows version) stubbornly refuses to admit it is such a basic feature that it should be fixed.

Reply #9
Just as others said before me, this will be a Samsung bug. I have Android 6.0.1 on a non-Samsung device and it plays Opus files if they have an ogg extension.
I would recommend you Foobar2000 if there are no reasons why you cannot install it on your system. That's what I use, it works with opus extension, no need to rename to ogg.

Reply #10
VLC is a general media player, meaning it doesn't have a good library organisation like Samsung Music or Google Play Music does. Also, I need either Samsung Music or Google Play Music to be able to use the media controller on my Gear Fit. Is there really no way to modify the ROM to get it to work properly with OPUS? I can back up everything with TWRP anyway, and I'm desperate so I'm not afraid of messing with my system.

Reply #11
VLC is a general media player, meaning it doesn't have a good library organisation like Samsung Music or Google Play Music does. Also, I need either Samsung Music or Google Play Music to be able to use the media controller on my Gear Fit. Is there really no way to modify the ROM to get it to work properly with OPUS? I can back up everything with TWRP anyway, and I'm desperate so I'm not afraid of messing with my system.
No, the bug was never addressed on any Touchwiz based 6.0.1 ROM and it's part of closed sourced libraries that devs can't tinker with.
Your only options are a different codec or an AOSP based ROM.
I'm not very familiar with J2 Prime but I don't think there are any ported Touchwiz ROMs that are Nougat based for it.
I know it sucks, I remember going on Samsung Members app to report the bug and they were trying to put it under the rug until the Nougat update would be out so they would tell me that it got resolved in Nougat.
So I guess if you want to stick with Gear Fit' s controls (and I don't blame you for that, I would myself too) your only options are mp3, AAC, ogg and FLAC.
Ah, also, about gapless playback, just forget about it as a whole in a 6.0.1 Samsung device.

Reply #12
Android Q already supports reading music in opus format, but still can't display tag and bit rate information. Of course, it may also be a problem with music software implementation.

Reply #13
Poweramp used to play opus.  :o

Reply #15
Android Q already supports reading music in opus format, but still can't display tag and bit rate information. Of course, it may also be a problem with music software implementation.
Definitely an Android Q bug or the music app's bug, it shows all that in previous versions.

Reply #16
[https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foobar2000.foobar2000]
I use this on my s9 samsung..
Don't Ask!!!! I never existed...

Reply #17
Sorry for my English.
For android to recognize the opus assets they must go inside a matroska container (.mkv).
I've tried it and it works, I just have to figure out how to read the album cover.

reference: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/media-formats

Reply #18
I would recommend you Foobar2000 if there are no reasons why you cannot install it on your system. That's what I use, it works with opus extension, no need to rename to ogg.

Foobar2000 Mobile is lightweight and will even play Opus in webm and Matroska/mkv files. (Note that the app may not sort non-Ogg formatted files into its music library, but like the desktop version will play them so long as the audio isn't fragmented.)

Reply #19
I only tried it when my phone was updated to Android 10 and that version supports Opus in an Ogg container with .opus extension. But I use AIMP anyway.