Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar crashes when deleting files from File Operations (Read 2774 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar crashes when deleting files from File Operations

Hello, all! Fb2k has been driving me nuts lately. After I convert some files from WAV to FLAC and then using File Operations -> Delete Files, it crashes after deleting a few files. I am forced to shut it down via Task Manager, then redo the same process for the remaining files. It usually doesn't crash after the second or third attempt. I've been having this problem since version 1.5; I use the latest 1.6.6 beta 2 and the problem persists. I have the latest Free Encoder Pack.

Re: Foobar crashes when deleting files from File Operations

Reply #1
Did you submit the foobar2000 crash logs?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Did you submit the foobar2000 crash logs?

Sorry, I should have said "freezes" instead of "crashes". It doesn't show me the "foobar has crashed" window that allows me to submit crash logs, nor are there any files on my "crash reports" folder. It just freezes and I have to shut it down with Task Manager.

Reply #3
It would help if you could right click on the process in Task Manager and save a dump from the process where it's locked up, then share it.

Reply #4
Also see the debug info at the end of pinned support topic.

Reply #5
It would help if you could right click on the process in Task Manager and save a dump from the process where it's locked up, then share it.

I just made one, and it's 800MB...

Reply #6

I just made one, and it's 800MB...

Removed a bunch of unnecessary components. It still crashes, but the dump is now 667MB.

Reply #7
How many files are you attempting to delete at once? Hundreds to thousands or just a couple of dozen?

Reply #8
To my knowledge memory dump created with 64-bit Task Manager won't be debuggable. If you wish Peter to debug the hang cause, you need to use 32-bit task manager. There are instructions for that here.

Reply #9
I have a similar ongoing issue for some time now. It doesn't crash/lock me however, so I've just lived with it.

When I delete via FO, usually more than 50 at a time, I can see the files disappearing from the playlist and then a progress window will appear, with the bar progressing until just before the end when it stops and the window remains on screen. Cancel/close do not function on the window.

The files will be gone and I can continue using FB normally, but need to restart to remove the "processing files" window.

Occasionally the same thing happens when I rename many files (100s).

Nothing via console or log.

Reply #10
Sorry for the late reply. Here is the crash dump (160MB .7z, almost 800MB when uncompressed). Or should I send it to Peter directly?

How many files are you attempting to delete at once? Hundreds to thousands or just a couple of dozen?

It happens either when I try to delete hundreds of files or only a few.

Reply #11
Thanks for the details.

The operation seems to be stuck in DeleteFileW(), the Windows function that deletes a file from your disk.
This seems like a problem with your system, there's not much I can do about it, other than special fixes around it so it can't freeze the entire foobar2000 application.

As a workaround, I recommend setting foobar2000 to recycle instead of delete:
Preferences / Advanced / Tools / File Operations / Deletion Type
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #12
As a workaround, I recommend setting foobar2000 to recycle instead of delete:
Preferences / Advanced / Tools / File Operations / Deletion Type

Thank you very much! I will do that!

Reply #13
Mine is doing the same on my media server. And foobar seems to not like saving settings/playlists and other stuff in real time which means that everything since the last start is lost. Its worth mentioning that the app is not closed in any moment since its being used as server so after 3 weeks of use maybe I delete one file and it makes it crash foobar making all my playlists editions gone (also creating a new problem: deleted files are still being shown on the playlists).
Gonna try the advanced settings method but since I already had it set to send to recycler bin I will try the other setting to delete directly.

It would be good if you could change the app behaviour, save playlists and settings in realtime instead of doing that on a clean close.

Reply #14
The configuration in 1.6.x and older is too complex in design to support real time saving as settings are changed. An upcoming alpha, similar to what the macOS and mobile versions already do, saves all settings and playlists in real time, but that's a long ways off being ready, as far as I know.

The problem with saving and loading in real time is that the settings files have to be designed for real time modifications, including insertions and deletions of individual settings as they're altered. The older versions use binary files with binary identifiers for every variable, and are designed for the whole set to be serialized at once on save, and read completely on startup only.

There's still the issue of the crashing, which shouldn't be happening either way.

Reply #15
And foobar seems to not like saving settings/playlists and other stuff in real time which means that everything since the last start is lost.
I suggest to use foo_jesus for auto-saves (configure in Preferences > Advanced > Autosave...), or manually [hold SHIFT key] > File > Save Configuration every so often.

Reply #16
And foobar seems to not like saving settings/playlists and other stuff in real time which means that everything since the last start is lost.
I suggest to use foo_jesus for auto-saves (configure in Preferences > Advanced > Autosave...), or manually [hold SHIFT key] > File > Save Configuration every so often.

Thanks for that! I will try it as a workaround