Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Spec of 7Digital 320kbps CBR vs iTunes 256kbps AAC (Read 5710 times) previous topic - next topic

Spec of 7Digital 320kbps CBR vs iTunes 256kbps AAC

Hi there,

I purchased 65-Kiasmos on 7Digital and I Spec'd it and noticed that its cut-off was 20Khz. I was intrigued... so I purchased the same track on iTunes and i noticed that the cut-off was 22Khz although it appeared a bit more sparse between the 14-16Khz bands.

I want to pay for music, but I at least want to get the best copy I can get for my money. Based on the two attached Spec graphs would you advise iTunes purchases rather than 7Digital?

I appreciate that AIFF or FLAC would be much better etc. etc. but I am a DJ who is trying to get noticed, and think it's got to be my priority to build my music collection with more music, rather than getting possibly half the amount but at a higher quality.  When i graduate and finally have some more money again then I'll be able to crack on with the lossless, but for now I want to know who is the best of the lossy bunch.

Thanks in advance . Will

Re: Spec of 7Digital 320kbps CBR vs iTunes 256kbps AAC

Reply #1
I wouldn't conclude anything based on spectrograms. You listen with your ears, not with your eyes.

Do an ABX text, and if you can tell a difference, buy the one you prefer to listen to.

Reply #2
Cheers for the quick reply

I'll try that, do you have an ABX software for Mac that you can recommend (that's quicker/more user friendly/integrates to iTunes etc etc) ?

My main reason for concern I suppose is playing the Mp3s I buy on bigger and bigger sound systems (small venue.. big venue.. small festival etc) and I suppose in my own way I'm trying to future-proof the music I buy as much as i can

Reply #3
I'm trying to future-proof the music I buy as much as i can

Then buy only lossless as that's the most future proof option.

Reply #4
7digital sells 320k aac too. Their mp3 and aac codecs are varied by artists.
I'd go for iTunes. or simply buy lossless on Qobuz.

Reply #5
Buy lossless, but no point in buying >16bit and/or >48/44.1khz.
Always keep a lossless library, but lossy is good for portable use, like DJ'ing.

I've bought lossless music from these stores:
http://www.beatport.com/
http://www.7digital.com/
http://www.qobuz.com/
http://tidal.com/store/

But be aware: Not all lossless music bought online is lossless music. Take beatport: Most of the time is seems like the music is truly lossless/ comes from a lossless source. But I've had songs with frequence cut offs, just like mp3 encoded audio. Artists actually uploads their own music to beatport, and beatport says that implementing lossless source control would be to advanced for their artists: They are music creators, not audio technicians. Tidal seems legit, but also a bit expensive IMO.

Reply #6
They are music creators, not audio technicians. Tidal seems legit, but also a bit expensive IMO.

That's why they should leave that task for people who know a thing of two about audio....
If I want my car to be fixed I make an appointment with a mechanican, not with a salesman.

Reply #7
I am a DJ who is trying to get noticed, and think it's got to be my priority to build my music collection with more music, rather than getting possibly half the amount but at a higher quality.  When i graduate and finally have some more money again then I'll be able to crack on with the lossless, but for now I want to know who is the best of the lossy bunch.
The only thing that matters is what people can hear in a room with already-questionable acoustics. 16bit/44.1kHz lossy encodes should be just fine. Don't worry too much about the details. If you're paranoid, 320kbps AAC/MP3 is (generally) considered transparent when compared to its lossless source.

Reply #8
Thank you all for your replies and advice :). I appreciate it! I'll try and chilllllllll my beans and settle for a combo of 7Digital/Itunes until I've got enough money to buy all lossless.

o-l-a-v could you expand on your comment about not bothering with >48/44.1Khz & 16 bit (i.e. some of the higher quality music on PONOmusic). Would I be right in saying that any higher frequency range  than this and it's not discernible by the human ear?

Reply #9
o-l-a-v could you expand on your comment about not bothering with >48/44.1Khz & 16 bit (i.e. some of the higher quality music on PONOmusic). Would I be right in saying that any higher frequency range  than this and it's not discernible by the human ear?

Plenty of people claim to be able to hear the difference, very few have ever demonstrated it in reliable circumstances, and even those circumstances are debated.  Perhaps a more relevant point for you is whether your equipment can even reproduce such differences, for example will your amps or speakers do much with frequencies above 22kHz other than mangling it?  And perhaps it doesn't matter: sounds like you have a few years yet to investigate whether you feel hi-rez music is the next big advance in audio or just in extracting money from folks.