Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24bit 96khz to 44.1khz using foobar and SoX resampler (Read 16224 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 24bit 96khz to 44.1khz using foobar and SoX resampler

Reply #25
Small off-topic rant:

We don't force people to prove "everything" with ABX tests. We only ask them to prove when they make claims that an audible difference exists where previous testing already shows it does not or the method has not yet been tested at all.

This forum is at its core a scientific/technology discussion community. Part of the science of hearing is that our ears and brains are very good (bad?) at filtering out "unnecessary" data or filling in the gaps where auditory input may be missing. That's why the psychoacoustic models for lossy encoders and dithering when downsampling have been designed the way they are. If someone is making claims contradictory to the scientific consensus of those methods, we need hard evidence that this is actually the case and that the person making the claim is not just using their own subjective observations that may or may not be placebo effect.

Reply #26
Some references
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,74651.0.html
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,81467.0.html
Both references don't prove much. The first could have been something related to the originals that were missing and the second was only speculation what we hear, including me.
I didn't read both threads in depth again.
So please offer your samples with a simple foobar abx and we can restart from there.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #27
What we have here is a new member who feels the rules of the forum don't apply to him. He has gone ahead and made claims regarding sound quality despite acknowledging that he can't comply with TOS8. He has also essentially said that if you can't demonstrate the ability to discern a difference because of hardware limitations (though I'm betting any other excuse would suffice) then you should be able to say whatever you like. He has also suggested that graphs are an acceptable means of support, in direct opposition to TOS8. Now he's saying TOS8 should simply not apply to certain yet-to-be defined areas of discussion.

Reply #28
Sorry for disturbing you, old members. Maybe when I have time and proper equipment I will try to conduct ABX tests.

Over all, it really does not makes sense to flood forums with discussions about the rules, so we can either continue about the topics (resampling/dithering/playback quality), or let it be.

Peace,

Jan

Reply #30
fwiw, I tried and failed to ABX the clipped samples in "Copy of A" generated during resampling that I mentioned in post #21. (resampled with clipped samples, then lowered 3dB, versus lowered 3dB, then resampled).

Reply #31
Thank you for the info.

Reply #32
Sorry for disturbing you, old members. Maybe when I have time and proper equipment I will try to conduct ABX tests.

Over all, it really does not makes sense to flood forums with discussions about the rules, so we can either continue about the topics (resampling/dithering/playback quality), or let it be.
Do you try to make some kind of joke here i don't understand?

Reply #33
Really not. I would appreciate if here or on other thread we could discuss e.g. the effects of various dither forms (none/tpdf/e-weighed/shibata) and/or resampling (SoX) to the sound and file contents obtained, so that the high-fidelity is to the best extent preserved. I know that this forum is mainly about proving the claims by objective methods like ABX, but there are many of you who understand the workings of those tools and could suggest good solutions to proposed problems without the neccessity to prove everythin g ...

Reply #34
Judging your former posts i have the feeling you are not really interested what we know until it is the same as you think is right.
The last post suggests you want to discuss things you may hear one sunny day but can't check with your equipment.
Hydrogenaudio is really a complicated place for such tasks. Other forums may be the better place for such an open minded attempt if you won't come over as troll.

Reply #36
Good luck! With resampling you are touching a territory full of myths, ringing an FUD.
Even knowlegeable people get confused with this regulary.
Some say that optimal resampling is like dbpa SSRC does but the SoX pdf warns for excessive ringing with its similar 99.7% setting...
Go to Computeraudiophile forums and i bet you will find people even knowing everything about how dark matter influences dither on fridays!
Even when you come over a bit trollish i think i understand your dillemma well. Self educating about this topic on the web can drive one crazy.
The Hydrogenaudio approach is luckily a bit different!

Reply #37
Yes, I learned it is easy to drown in the various options and techniques, but hope I have not drowned already .... I am using reasonable settings for my CD conversions :)

-V2 %s -b 16 %d rate -v 44100 dither -f modified-e-weighted,

or sometimes let the default dither that SoX performs.

Reply #38
Why wouldn't somebody want a 100% passband if they are doing a straight transfer?  Or can the filter be disabled entirely? 
Anyways, if anybody is looking for an alternative to use, r8brain freeware typically gets good specs for low aliasing.  It has a batch mode too. 
Be a false negative of yourself!

Reply #39
See what i mean :D

Reply #41
In studio they could use anything they wanted (compressor, limiter etc.) when created final master for CD. And you can't know what exactly they used.
Indeed the CD master may be from a different source or just not processed the same way as the 24/96 version. In fact it's pretty typical for the "HD" version to have been remastered so as to ensure it sounds different and thus "better". Otherwise people would be disappointed to find out that they can't actually hear the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1.
If you don't change the sample rate, and just convert from 24/96 to 16/96, does the clipping still happen?  If not, then you know the issue is in the sample rate conversion, not the bit depth reduction.
I already got the answer from Rollin and mjb2006, but I really don't understand what else is going on here.