Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for advice on new headphones (Read 2632 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for advice on new headphones

Hello

I purchased a set of AKG K240 headphones 3 years ago, and despite taking good care of them the sound has become distorted and keeps cutting out on the right side. I have since read that this company are using cheaper components in China which has put me off using them again.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for music and gaming - specifically I would like:

• Semi-open headphones so I can hear what's going on around me
• Comfortable to wear for several hours - not too tight/heavy
• Budget around £300
• A cable that can easily be replaced if it becomes damaged
• A high quality brand that I could be confident is likely to last for many years without issues!

I am not an audiophile although I very much appreciated the sound quality of the AKG headphones over standard cheap headphones. I listen to music from the 60's to present day, in FLAC format, 320 MP3, and music on YouTube, either on PC or iPhone.

If anyone can offer some advice I would be immensely grateful!

Re: Looking for advice on new headphones

Reply #1
I always recommend that you go to a store and listen for yourself, and to check the comfort on your head.

Recommendations and reputation are a good place to start, but opinions vary, preferences vary, and the specs tend to be useless.

• A high quality brand that I could be confident is likely to last for many years without issues!
Koss headphones have a lifetime warranty, if that's something you want to consider.  

Reply #2
No headphones last forever. With our limited data it seems AKG K240 (Studio?) last you about 3 years. In terms of compatibility to your needs we know the following about them:

• Semi-open headphones so you can hear what's going on around you
• Comfortable to wear for several hours - not too tight/heavy
• Budget around £300
• A cable that can easily be replaced if it becomes damaged

They have a two year warranty, longer than most, and if you buy it with certain credit cards you get an extra year for free. With a budget of £300 you could buy 4 pair from UK Amazon, with free UK delivery [currently £71/pair], which should cover your use for 12 years, maybe longer. [Although I would buy them as you go along, since your needs may change down the road and it would be better for you to keep your money in an interest bearing account rather than stockpiling this pair of headphones you know work for you.]

Can they be driven by the items you wish to connect them to? You know the answer and don't have to spend any time researching this.
How well can I hear things around me when wearing them? You know the answer and don't have to spend any time researching this.
How comfortable are they? You know the answer and don't have to spend any time researching this.
Does the cable detach? Yes.

Let's hypothetically say after extensive research and trips to stores to evaluate alternatives you discover one which seems perfect. Let's also pretend that your time doing this doesn't matter. They cost £150 and have a six year warranty. Should you buy them? No: Two pairs of AKG 240's will work just as well and save you a little money.

I think you should lose your fear of products made in China.

Reply #3
If one side is cutting out, there's a good chance the cable failed; maybe it's worth replacing the cable?
Looks like the official part number is "EK 300" and they are around $30 US, but there are 3rd-party ones for under $20 on amazon.

Another point in favour of sticking with the K240: semi-closed headphones are uncommon, but I agree they're a useful kind.

Reply #4
Sounds like either the cable failed somewhere or the solder point inside the earcup where the cable terminates has lost its connection.

If it wasn't for the replaceable cable requirement you stated, the Beyerdynamic DT880 32ohm (or 250ohm if mildly amped) would have fit the bill for your requirements nicely.  However, there are plenty of people who have modded their Beyer DT770/880/990 to use a detachable cable, so it's possible if you have the basic tools for the procedure. 

Another headphone that comes to mind that costs a little more is the Philips Fidelio X2.  I haven't demoed it but it is semi open with a detachable cable and a similar frequency response to the K240MKII but with a small boost in bass.  It's been getting great reviews lately and very popular on Massdrop, so definitely check it out.

Reply #5
I have gone recently through the headphone upgrade, I have AG K240DF, still working great after 25 years although I have not been using them much. Those are 600Ohms studio monitors with limited base extension, very precise. I wanted something that woukd sound like my speakers (Totem Hawks) without much of the sound coloration. After weeks of reading forums and watching youTube reviews I settled on Sennheiser HD 600 for around $340 US. I love them, they work well for all kinds of music but for classical and jazz I do not know anything better in this price range. If you want a bit less neutral with warmer sound signature there are Sennheiser HD 650.
But I can certainly recommend HD 600 but check the reviews - there is a lot of junk on youTune but Z Reviews and metal571 are good sources.

Reply #6
Buy Sennheisers. They last forever. I had a pair of 20 year old HD 580's once and they sounded excellent. They also sound much better than AKG's to me.
FLAC -> JDS Labs ODAC/O2 -> Sennheiser HD 650 (equalized)

Reply #7
Thank-you everyone for your feedback, it's been really interesting reading your comments.

I hadn't really looked at it this way but financially speaking it would actually make sense to keep buying the AKG headphones. That said, I am not entirely comfortable producing more e-waste than necessary, or supporting a company that has possibly cut corners on components.

I did try having them repaired twice, but have given up now, the other speaker is also distorted.

Will definitely visit a local store and test some, then do some further reading.

Reply #8
I'd go with the HD 600 or HD 650 for open back listening at home from a desktop amp.
AVI ADM 9RS | HD 650 | HD 598 | Asus Essence One Muses Edition DAC & HA | Garage1217.com Project Ember HA | Asus STX DAC & HA | Fiio E12 | iDevices

To get added to my Whatsapp Audiophilia group, PM me!

Reply #9
In recent months I have listened to the Sony MDR-V6 and A-T ATH-M50x.  The A-T appears to have more bass (which sort of aligns with frequency response measurements I have seen) and the Sony has the brighter upper mid / treble response of the two (ditto).  Overall, I find the A-T phones a bit more enjoyable to listen to, though neither sounds particularly neutral to me.

I know these are $100-150 phones, but I would suggest that the higher-end models of each manufacturer could have similar sonic behavior based on what little I've heard of their other phones.  This might lead to including or excluding them from further consideration if you favor a particular type of reproduction.  The A-T units have lower measured distortion, which may or may not translate to my appreciation of them. 

Reply #10
Hello

I thought I should follow this up - I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD700 headphones, very pleased with the sound quality.

Thanks again for the advice.

SPLIT: Re: Looking for advice on new headphones

Reply #11
Split obvious advertising poster to the recycle bin, and deleted the only post they made that had an actual link in it.