Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Released: DolbyProLogicII decoder that works! (pro (Read 5941 times) previous topic - next topic

Released: DolbyProLogicII decoder that works! (pro

With the new release of Aud-X (v. 1.2) we have lounched a DPLII decoder. I spent tens of hours in Matlab to figure out how to spearate all the channels properly, so I hope you will like the result.

In general (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong) there is no proper free software DPLII decoder available (i.e. the channels separation is not performed correctly). And Dolby does not publish anything on the decoding issue. Thus it is a bit
mysterious topic...
Therefore, I hope that our DPLII dec. algorithm will be of use for you.

------

I was able to test the results on my, my wife and my friends and it seemed to be similarly effective, in terms of channel separation, as the original, hardware Dolby decoder.
All the tests were perfomed on the same HT amp.
Interestingly, they claimed that my algo sounds better in terms of linear distortions (the test noise played with the original DPLII decoder seemed to have distorted frequency characteristics...), but everyone must judge by his/her own...
---------------------------------------------------------
But, ofcourse opinion all possible of users is very interesting for me, so I could use some suggestions to improve this algo.
Here is a test sound for ya (maybe it will be useful).
http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?atta...62&d=1142231931
or
http://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p..._dplii_dwmx.zip
=============================================
Just in case (probably for most this is more than obvious ), here are some details how to test the algorithm
and compare it to other existing ones.

To perform a comparison with the use of external hardware home theatre system, please do the following:
1) Select in Aud-X DS filter config PCM stream compatibility.
2) Select in Aud-X DS filter config SPDiF output. The decoded (to 5.1) stream will be encoded to AC3 (448 kbps), and sent to the external amp. And you will be able to listen to the results of our algorithm
3) Select stereo output in Aud-X filter to send the original stereo (DPLII downmix) to the external amp.
4) Select in your amp DPLII decoder.
===========================
To perform a comparison with the use of other DS filters (e.g. FFDshow), please do the following:
1) To use other filters, please disable Aud-X (or disable PCM stream compatibility), and select an appropriate decoding option in the compared filter.
2) Enable PCM stream compatibility and use Aud-X 5.1 output
to decode the input DPLII downmix. Please make sure that the input stream is not already decoded to 6 channels by other filters, preceding Aud-X

=================

The channel order in the test file is
1) FL
2) FR
3) C
4) SL
5) SR
MP3 5.1 [www.aud-x.com]

Reply #1
In general (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong) there is no proper free software DPLII decoder available (i.e. the channels separation is not performed correctly). And Dolby does not publish anything on the decoding issue. Thus it is a bit
mysterious topic...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371211"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you publish anything human readable on DPL2 decoding (like in-depth documentation about your algorithm)? If yes, I'd like to read it.

Sebi

Reply #2
Is there a possibility to test this in native Linux?

Reply #3
No details published yet.
The DS filter does not work under linux... unfortunately
and this is (for now) the only way to use this algorithm.
We would like to release it as separate library, but
it will probably take a while...
MP3 5.1 [www.aud-x.com]

Reply #5
I do not want to be rude but...

If you do not disclose algorithm or source code, your "free software DPLII decoder" is as usefull and free as the Cyberlink one (powerdvd), which is bundled with nearly every cd/dvd burner/reader.
Your decoder is just free regarding its price, not its knowledge.

Reply #6
I do not want to be rude but...

If you do not disclose algorithm or source code, your "free software DPLII decoder" is as usefull and free as the Cyberlink one (powerdvd), which is bundled with nearly every cd/dvd burner/reader.
Your decoder is just free regarding its price, not its knowledge.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371295"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Indeed, it is free in terms of price.
(I did know that the cyberlink software is free)
This  one works as DS filter.
So I guess this is the only difference 
MP3 5.1 [www.aud-x.com]

Reply #7
I think there's more of a difference. Cyberlink's decoder works in PowerDVD only. It won't work with other players (and PDVD far from being perfect). So any free DirectShow DPL decoder working with BSPlayer, MWPlayer Classic, etc. makes a wonderful difference!

Reply #8
I think there's more of a difference. Cyberlink's decoder works in PowerDVD only. It won't work with other players (and PDVD far from being perfect). So any free DirectShow DPL decoder working with BSPlayer, MWPlayer Classic, etc. makes a wonderful difference!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371957"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Elenhil, thanx for using our filter.
I hope that you like the DPLII decoding quality  ,
and you had a chance to compare it to hardware decoders.
If you have any suggestions, or comments please report.
MP3 5.1 [www.aud-x.com]