Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar app (Android) accessing SMB shares? (Read 7854 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar app (Android) accessing SMB shares?

I have several folders for video and audio on SMB share from Windows and use that to access the music from my laptop right now. But I'd like to re-purpose an old Android tablet that isn't getting any use as a touch screen GUI music player instead by my stereo. Does Foobar on Android give the ability to access SMB shares or should I use another app?
Thanks!

Re: Foobar app (Android) accessing SMB shares?

Reply #1
Try this?

Reply #3
com.google.android.sambadocumentsprovider

Google Android Samba Client

Reply #4
com.google.android.sambadocumentsprovider

Google Android Samba Client
I was looking into this due to a showstopper issue using FTP.
The Samba package can still be found on F-Droid and it still works on Android 12, however while other apps can make use of it, foobar2000 complains that it's not a regular folder it can work with.

Reply #5
FTP throttling is problematic to implement, sorry.

I'll investigate why Google Android Samba Client doesn't work, thanks for reporting.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
FTP throttling is problematic to implement, sorry.
No need to throttle the bandwidth, you'd just need to limit the max. concurrent FTP connections.
Not sure what you're using to connect, but if it's rclone it can be easily configured (see the link in my previous post).

Edit: Further investigation revealed similar reports for this problem on foobar-users.de.
The router hardware I'm using has a 50% market share in Germany, so chances are high that a few users more have or will run into this issue, since they all run the same FTP/DDoS config.

Reply #7
It's not rclone. It's a 100% novel implementation.

Reply #8
It's not rclone. It's a 100% novel implementation.
Ah, OK - I was under the impression that rclone is used, since the beta changelog mentions "Media Library can now index folders shared with rclone over HTTP.".

I'll investigate why Google Android Samba Client doesn't work, thanks for reporting.
There's also CIFS Documents Provider, which still seems to be actively maintained.
It also comes with a MIT license which might allow integration at some point (I'm no licensing expert).

Yesterday I was so desperate to get the indexing done via FTP, that I tried the following:
- downgrading my WiFi to the slowest possible
- saturating the bandwidth by running a large download on a second device
- started scanning process in foobar2000

I managed to double the indexation that way, but I'm still left with about 80% unindexed music.

Reply #9
Maybe I was wrong. I don't know. I don't keep track of this any more.

Reply #10
I did some research and interop with above linked SMB & CIFS services isn't easy enough to add either. The SMB one partially worked but refused to seek (files were opened as nonseekable pipes).

I personally recommend using UPnP for sharing music on local network, it solves the problem of music indexing & hammering the server (tags indexed by the server itself).

I'll have a closer look at FTP behaviors before the next update, what you describe is obviously unacceptable.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #11
I personally recommend using UPnP for sharing music on local network, it solves the problem of music indexing & hammering the server (tags indexed by the server itself).
Unfortunately I'd loose album cover indexing that way, since in my case they're stored as separate JPG files.
Your FTP scanning method finds them.

I'll have a closer look at FTP behaviors before the next update, what you describe is obviously unacceptable.
Thank you very much for your efforts, would be great if this could be solved by a user defineable connection limit .

Reply #12
Some testing on the NAS function of my router revealed a limit of 20 FTP connections.

Just to be sure: the app does close or re-use the FTP connections?

Edit: I just came across this code utilizing java.util.concurrent to pool the FTP connections.
Maybe some food for thought. ;-)

Reply #13
That would only be helpful for the Android version, not the iOS version. Also, most of the app is native code compiled as a large object, the Java portion is mostly only glue code to make it work.

Reply #14
Not sure if you took notice of this thread as well.
It's not exactly related but when you find the time to dive into this FTP issue the other one might just be an easy fix along the way.