Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Howto convert .dts->dtswav & .ac3->ac3wav ? (Read 35261 times) previous topic - next topic

Howto convert .dts->dtswav & .ac3->ac3wav ?

I have some .dts & .ac3 files. How to convert .dts to dtswav & .ac3 to ac3wav (not decode to wav)? (Preferably using free tools)

The final dtswav or ac3wav should be like the ones in http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446

Reply #1
You can do that for DTS files using dts2wav. It's free.

But, those clips on the Swedish Radio are encoded from 44100 Hz sources, and will sound fine when you burn them on a CD.
If you ripped those DTS or AC3 files from a DVD, they are 48000 Hz. So, if you don't want them to sound lower, you need to decode them first to PCM, downsample to 44100 Hz and then reencode to DTS or DD.
There are no free encoders for DTS. There are for AC3 but IMO they are not of very good quality.
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #2
Yeh, the .dts & .ac3 files are all @ 48kHz.

Unfortunately "dts2wav" only supports .dts @ 44.1kHz.
Is there any tool to downsample .dts or .ac3 to 44.1kHz?

"headac3he" was able to do .ac3->ac3wav but the ac3wav was slower (as expected).

Anyone has any ideas about "spdifer". It sounds promising but I didn't get it to work correctly.

Reply #3
If you want to add WAV header to ac3 file - VirtualDubMod can do this. Just open video file that is long enough, then go to Streams -> Stream list. Press "Add" button, then press "Save WAV".

Reply #4
I have some .dts & .ac3 files. How to convert .dts to dtswav & .ac3 to ac3wav ? (Preferably using free tools)

The final dtswav or ac3wav should be like the ones in http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i input.ac3 -vn -acodec copy output.wav
ffmpeg -i input.dts -vn -acodec copy output.wav

Input files can also be video files and ffmpeg will extract ac3/dts stream.

Reply #5
ffmpeg -i input.ac3 -vn -acodec copy output.wav
ffmpeg -i input.dts -vn -acodec copy output.wav

Input files can also be video files and ffmpeg will extract ac3/dts stream.

Unfortunately this didn't work. The wav files properties are not like the ones in the http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446
The wav files created by ffmpeg shows 6 channels and doesn't play in Foobar. I guess they are multichannel wav and not dtswav or ac3wav (which are essentially wav container/header for the .ac3/.dts files)

The wav files in the sr.se website show 2 channels and play in Foobar.

Reply #6
... dtswav or ac3wav (which are essentially wav container/header for the .ac3/.dts files)
So you just need to wrap the ac3/dts stream into ACM wav file (like MP3, for expamle)?
Why do you need that or what are you trying to achieve?

The wav files in the sr.se website show 2 channels and play in Foobar.
This seems to be just a regular CDDA-like format audio file like if you grabbed it from a CD, I do not see any resemblance to ac3 or dts.

Reply #7
Yes, ac3wav & dtswav are actually .ac3 & .dts files in wav containers with false wav header as PCM/2 Channel. Thats the reason you see 2 channel/PCM in the file properties exactly like cda format.

The applications of such files are mostly in creating Dolby Digital or DTS audio CDs.

Reply #8
I think that I explained everything. Can you resample an MP3 file without decoding it first? The same goes for DTS an DD. For DTS you need Minnetonka SurCode CD (or DVD). You decode your DTS to 6 PCM wavs, downsample them to 44100 Hz using any resampler you want (but I would use a good quality resampler like the one that is built into Adobe Audition or Voxengo r8brain). Then you load the resampled files to SurCode and encode them to DTS. After that you can use dts2wav to wrap the DTS in WAV and burn it to the CD. That's the only way to do what you want. (unless there is an open source free DTS encoder out there that I'm not aware of)

Why do you need that or what are you trying to achieve?
DTS-CD

Reply #9
This is what I'm trying to do... I haven't yet got it to work. Does the DTS file have to be at a specific bitrate in order for this (1411kbps)? I tried dts2wav and it didn't work... ffmeg I just can't work out how to install at all, it doesn't even seem to be compiled...

Reply #10
…Does the DTS file have to be at a specific bitrate in order for this (1411kbps)? I tried dts2wav and it didn't work...
I have no problems with dts2wav. Here is the log from SurCode DTS DVD. But it can output wav files itself

DTS CD:

Core Bit Rate            = 1411200 bps
Frame Size               = 1024 samples
Pad zeros at end of frame= Yes
Channel Layout           = 3/2/.1
Sampling Frequency       = 44100 Hz
Bits Per Input Sample    = 24
QMF Filter               = Nonperfect reconstruction
Rear channel attenuation = 0 dB
HDCD                     = No
ES                       = No
Compressed audio file    = D:\My Music\ad pedes.wav

Reply #11
Is there a way to do the reverse -- convert a dts .wav file to just plain .dts?

Reply #12
I tried to convert 'BT - This Binary Universe' DTS files to WAV without much luck, i ended up burning the DTS files to audio cd with Nero Express and ripping it with EAC!!!

Reply #13
The straight forward way is to do decode to wav(s), keeping the output to 24bit don't hurt.
resample to 44.1KHz if you want DTSWAV (to 48KHz if you go the other way).
Encode the result to DTS again (don't know if there is a free DTS encoder)

I think all other approaches, that work, do the same thing (resampling) though some tools may hide that by doing steps "internally".
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #14
The straight forward way is to do decode to wav(s), keeping the output to 24bit don't hurt.
resample to 44.1KHz if you want DTSWAV (to 48KHz if you go the other way).
Encode the result to DTS again (don't know if there is a free DTS encoder)

I think all other approaches, that work, do the same thing (resampling) though some tools may hide that by doing steps "internally".

Since DTS is lossy, I'm wary of re-encoding something to DTS  that started out as DTS.

Reply #15
revisiting this thread --

I've been experimenting with dtswav files.  As ontherocks says, ones that 'work' in foobar, show as 2-channel even though they decode to 6 (or whatever number of multi-channels).  I've also found, using a DTS encoder to convert 6-channel mono PCM files to dtswav, that .dtswav files don't have to be 44.1 kHz -- that's only necessary if you intend to burn a 'DTS CD' .  I stream them from a hard drive.  So a "48kHz/24" bit .dtswav file is possible, and works correctly in foobar2000 --  that is, I can output it as bitstream over SPDIF , and my receiver recognizes and decodes it as multichannel DTS audio.

My question is now the same as ontherocks'  -- how can I directly convert existing .dts files to .dtswav?  Since I don't need to resample, I'm hoping there's some easy way to just wrap the file in a '2-channel ' .wav wrapper, without having to decode or resample. 

Tried so far:

dts2wav 1.2 (which was somewhat hard to find -- the hypercube website is toast)  doesn't work in XP SP3 or any Windows OS after that that I've tried....in XP SP3, using the command: dts2wav  [myfile.dts],  it works on the file for a few seconds, then aborts.  The resulting output file isn't a 'proper' dtswav file, by foobar's sights.

ffmpeg and Audiomuxer also don't seem to produce 'proper' .wav files from .dts files.  At least, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.  foobar says they're 6-channel PCM files, which can't be output via SPDIF..

Am I out of luck?

Reply #17
I've been experimenting with dtswav files.

Try spdifer from here : http://ac3filter.net/projects/tools
windows console tool, works on Wine too.

Already found that answer, thanks.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry730472

Audiomuxer will also be adding this capability soon.

Reply #19
To innocent users: Audiomuxer is ugly buggy .NET application which synthesizes known programs while reducing performance
I'm not going to post about it UI interaction as it's not worth
If you need particular job done, done it with one of the programs wrapped inside instead using it (you should know)
That is my opinion as I tried it