Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: oggencflac question (Read 2645 times) previous topic - next topic

oggencflac question

I just downloaded the "oggencFLAC (2003-04-01).zip" build, did a few comparison checks before using it. the date is not part of the file name I used it since it was with the files descriptor.

i am using an older version of oggencflac (LibVorbis I 20020717) i dont know which build.
i chose the oggencflac version over the other oggenc versions, since I had found the ones with the flac to be a bit faster for me.
anyway

i tried out the new oggencflac as well as the newest oggdropXPdV1.6.11e-CVS and I found it to be a bit slower then the older version. Not only that, but the file size is a bit larger then the older build. (which ya would expect with change it quality.)

example,

[old oggencflac] -q3.02

file length: 5m 34.0s
Elapsed time: 1m 04.0s
Rate: 5.2234
Average br: 114.3 kb/s

[NEW oggencflac 2003-04-01] -q 3.02

file length: 5m 34.0s
Elapsed time: 1m 07.0s
Rate: 4.9896
Average br: 114.6 kb/s

I was just wondering why there is a difference in file sizes & quality. its not much i know. but i noticed it. I would like to use the newest oggencflac version mainly for the updated Vendor info. for sorting purposes. but I dont want to add more file size.
it seems each different build of ogg spits out different quality for the same -q switch. i know this happened before with the RC version. but i didnt think it would change again.
i know I can get the same quality if i play around with the -q switch, as i did before.
yea, i am aware also its a CVS build.
Just was curious, is there any known changes to the quality of the encoder, that i should make adjustments for.
or. is this just something caused by the ICC v7 build, since the old oggencflac i used was from ICC v6.

i thought also, the icc 7 would be faster then the icc6, i know the icc6 was faster then the Gcc3.2 i tried.

thanks for any ideas

oggencflac question

Reply #1
The difference, IIRC, is a result of the small changes in the encoder libraries in the current CVS as against the 1.0 libs. I don't believe that this change produce any audible difference for better or worse although it is measurable. It is possible, I really don't remember, that the earlier build also made partial use of the Intel floating point maths libs. The current version does not and is slightly slower, but more accurate.