Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: replaygain (Read 2905 times) previous topic - next topic

replaygain

hey,

Most of my mp3 collection (all ripped from the original CDs, of course ) , has been set with mp3gain's album gain, and I'm very happy with it.  However, when I transfer these files to a portable player (Iriver SlimX IMP350), they are MUCH quieter and sometimes even with the volume cranked all the way up, its very soft.  Is this expected and normal? or should I just remove the mp3gain values via the constant gain if transfering to a portable player? Any feedback would be appreciated

Edit:  Very sorry about the double posting, the server was hanging and I kept getting that "this page can't be viewed error", my apologies...just ignore the second one

replaygain

Reply #1
For portables, try a target volume of 94 dB, album gain. If that's still not enough, consider a mini headphone amp.

replaygain

Reply #2
you can copy the files you want on the portable to a temp dir and add a constant gain of +4.5 or +6 to all those (copied) files if you are sure that all were at 89dB before. This way you dont have to let mp3gain analyze them again, applying a constant gain is pretty fast.

replaygain

Reply #3
I use 92db for mp3s destined for use with my nomad iic.  decent volume, the full 25 is only necessary in extremely noisy environments such as buses or planes.  also most music doesn't clip at 92db, which is a plus.