Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Questions about dBpoweramp - How to get stuff same fashion as EAC? (Read 1337 times) previous topic - next topic

Questions about dBpoweramp - How to get stuff same fashion as EAC?

Hi folks,

I was just trying dBpoweramp and I really liked the software. I liked that it can embed the indicated image file into the FLAC. I'm considering this program to replace EAC, which is still cool but its crafty settings make me go nuts sometimes - one mistake and you're done. Anyways, I'm really impressed with the CD Ripper. It didn't even need to detect gaps or have an option to place gaps to some determined position.

I have some questions though...

a) How do I tell the program to not resize a 2000 pixel image down to 1000 pixels? I want the original pictures inserted into FLAC.

b) In the case of embedding art, I don't need that Folder.jpg, so can I turn it off somehow?

c) Does the art get embedded in the WAV to FLAC encoding process or does the art get embedded upon another FLAC re-write?

d) How do I get a similar log file as I get in EAC? (Yes, I like these logs... Though now I see that I might not need one, there is a lot of tag information inserted by dBpoweramp)

e) How do I create a cue sheet the same fashion EAC does? - (non-compliant, tracks) (I know I won't ever use it, because never recreate any CD. If a CD gets ruined I just get another copy and once it's ripped, that's it. -- just wanted to know if this was by design, not producing cue sheets).

f) As I understood, the program rips the CD in Burst Mode automatically and then if it encounters a problem, it will rip in Secure Mode, is that correct? If this is so, I'm good to go because mostly of my CDs are pristine.

g) Back to the cue sheets and gaps, I take that the whole hassle of cue sheets making and detecting gaps has to do with the creation of the cue sheet and not the ripping itself - both EAC and dBpoweramp rip the tracks with default settings as appending gaps to the previous track. Is that correct?

h) Sorry for the last lame question... but is there any chance this program gets a Linux version? Does it run on WINE?

Man, this even pulls the CD catalogue number... :-) Who will not fall in love with this?

Thank you.

Re: Questions about dBpoweramp - How to get stuff same fashion as EAC?

Reply #1
Hello, folks.

I actually found some answers to my questions by messing up with the application a little bit. But any tips or comments regarding the rest of doubts, I'd appreciate (specially the gap detection and cue sheet creation), topic "G" to be specific.

To read the answers I wrote myself, please refer to the dBpoweramp forum post, because I ended up posting there.

Thanks for any helpful input.

Re: Questions about dBpoweramp - How to get stuff same fashion as EAC?

Reply #2
When I ripped my collection using dBpoweramp (paid version, YMMV) back more than ten years ago, people had gotten it to work with Wine. I have no idea whether one through Wine can access a drive low-level to get out error pointers.

a),b) You got that fixed. Beware that FLAC doesn't support larger pictures than 16 megabytes ... which should be enough.
c) Imagine it writes directly to .flac. Well it's got to store the audio somewhere waiting to be converted if it rips quick enough, but f you watch the progress bar, you will see that it converts to FLAC on-the-fly - unlike EAC, which would rip an entire image.wav and then convert.
d) & e) By running it through CUETools verify afterwards ;-)  dBpoweramp has its own log file format, and it appends to existing logs, and IIRC you can even embed it as a tag if you like (I don't). Choose as complete logging as you can.
f) Burst mode & check with AccurateRip yes. It will rip securely if it "encounters a problem", including if there has been no AccurateRip submission yet. Remember that Spoon created AccurateRip, so this integration is not a "later add-on" ...
g) Track N index 0 appended to file N-1 - except when N=1, the first track. Unlike CUETools, dBpoweramp silently drops "HTOA" under a certain size, so if you used CUETools for ripping, you would find a few of those 0.32 seconds HTOA tracks. Which are necessary to burn a "perfect" copy. You asked over at the dBpoweramp whether gap detection is transparent to the user - hm, last time I checked it would flash a box at you that it was busy doing so.

Also, if you got one of those pesky pre-emphasis CDs, CUETools will detect it using subchannel while dBpoweramp (and EAC) will "only" use the CD TOC. The flag should be in both, but sometimes there are errors in the masterings.  (In which case ... who knows what gives the "correct" information.)