Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTSfv - iTunes Store file validator (Read 415680 times) previous topic - next topic

iTSfv - iTunes Store file validator

Reply #75
Hi, sorry for the delay.

Just a word to say that everything seems to work perfectly so far.

The "Export artwork" works like a charm.

The "Import artwork" also seems to work, although I've only done some limited testing. The "Import every single jpg file in album folder" option looks great to me.

That's all for the moment. Thanks.

Reply #76
Hi Bluenote,

Yup, I re-adjusted them - but even if I set them back to their default values I get this weirdness, where only 7 or so tracks in my library get rated above 0! (with the previous version it was several hundred)

I have enabled logging the ratings with parameter settings in this build:
http://optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcef...7.5.0-setup.zip
Could you please re-run adjusting ratings?

It should give a log like:

Code: [Select]
* 2007-09-11 10:01:36

100 for DJ Doboy - Vocal Edition 20
100 for DJ Doboy - Vocal Edition 18
100 for DJ Doboy - Vocal Edition 14
100 for DJ Doboy - Vocal Edition 08
100 for Armin van Buuren - A State of Trance Year Mix 2006 CD1
097 for DJ Doboy - Vocal Edition 22
093 for Sean Paul - Get Busy
082 for Sean Paul - Like Glue
081 for Tiësto - Adagio For Strings
081 for Luminary - Dark Eyes (Funabashi Pres. Tom Porcell Remix)
080 for Victor Rathnayaka - Pembara Madhu
080 for Fonzerelli - Moonlight Party
079 for Tiësto - Heroes
078 for MinMini - Chinna Chinna Aasai
078 for 6th Lane - Ramayanaya
077 for Mr Sam ft. Kirsty Hawkshaw - Insight (Mr Sam Interpretation)
077 for Angelina - Pictures Of You (DJ Shog Remix)
076 for DJ Doboy - Vocal Edition 17
PlayedCount: 25%, SkippedCount: 0%, LastPlayed: 70%, DateAdded: 5%
Maximum PlayedCount: 346, Maximum Track Duration: 7380, Average Track Duration: 256

5.7.5.0 Enabled logging Track Ratings to file. Accessible via Context Menu > Logs > Tracks that Ratings was adjusted...
5.7.4.6 Delete the generated 0 KiB Music folder activity file on iTSfv exit
5.7.4.5 Tagging "Unknown Album" to songs where the album tag is blank is now optional [Bluenote]
5.7.4.4 Adjusting rating fails with 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' if track tags were incomplete [Ryan]
5.7.4.3 iTSfv would crash it found a non existant track while determining folder where most music is
5.7.4.2 iTMS artwork was not embedded if no artwork was found in music folder and also disabled creation of Folder.jpg and Artwork.jpg
5.7.4.1 Fixed [ itsfv-Bugs-1790526 ] Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow while adjust ratings [Andre]

Yes, that's exactly how I've been doing it. I just realized though that iTSfv seems to add "Unknown Album" to songs where the album tag is blank.... why is it doing this?! I thought if I don't use any of the "validate" functions I'd be safe?

Sorry about this. I jumped the gun and went ahead adding "Unknown Album" to tracks with empty Album Name as part of validation because having empty tags at the time didn't make sense. I have made this optional now for everybody and disabled by default. To enable Album Browser > F2.
iTSfv will never edit tags in tracks without user interaction again.

Looks fine to me. Strange. The only thing that seems a little unusual is that after the rating process is complete (the program's title bar counts up to 100% twice) the display at the bottom of the window still seems stuck on "Adjusting My Rating" - I had previously assumed this is just cosmetic, however?
Hope I'm making some sense here, thanks again! Bluenote

"Adjusting My Rating" stuck was the kicker feedback you gave me thanks. After a proper job, it should revert back to "Ready", which means that Adjusting rating job crashed. I think I know what caused it, a feature after 5.2:

5.4.0.0 iTSfv will remove white spaces in Artist, Album and Name tags during validation

For example, if you had "Best of Boney M " then iTSfv will fix it as "Best of Boney M".

It makes sense now. Because you had empty album tags, iTSfv attempted to trim out spaces and crashed.

5.7.4.4 Adjusting rating fails with 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' if track tags were incomplete [Ryan] -- I think this is exactly what happened to you as well and the fix that you were after. 

I am quite confident it will work for you now.

Cheers,
McoreD

Reply #77
Is there any way to tell itunes that you have more than one music folder?
I want to use the synch feature, to get covers for songs that I recently added, hopefully without having to rescan the entire library.

Thanks

Reply #78
itunes 7.4.1 is available. Will this make any advances in the "large library with ogg files" camp ?

Thanks!

urlwolf,

I tested a few OGG with iTunes using http://xiph.org/quicktime/download.html

iTune/iTSfv managed to read Artist and Album tags, nothing else. iTSfv couldn't set Artwork. iTunes just skips writing to OGG without any error.

"XiphQT vs. iTunes"

Track names (numbers, dates, ...) of .ogg files are missing, or displayed incorrectly, in iTunes - can you fix it?

Having the ability to play Ogg Vorbis files in iTunes was one of the main driving forces behind the qtcomponents project and also behind XiphQT development. However, iTunes is a proprietary software which does not provide a way to expand directly it's audio formats handling functionality by third-party developers. Given the iTunes support for QuickTime formats and architecture, writing a QuickTime extension (a component) has an effect of indirectly extending iTunes functionality. Unfortunately, iTunes support for QuickTime formats and extension mechanisms seems to be very selective - it is not even clear what exactly is supported as there is no single page of documentation about it.

Having said that, the XiphQT development efforts go into ensuring compatibility with QuickTime architecture and as complete (and proper) support for QuickTime extension mechanisms as possible. But the way applications, such as iTunes, choose to use, or not to use, QuickTime architecture is beyond our control.

Regarding the .ogg files meta-data missing in iTunes - to my knowledge, there is no way to fix this from the XiphQT source code point of view. However, there exist some AppleScript scripts that can help you with track's meta-data in iTunes

Theoretically you shouldn't have any error because of OGG because iTunes just *skips* writing OGG tracks. From iTSfv point of view, iTunes reports it as job done - no error.

Version 5.7.5 has a few fixes that probably has an answer to the synchroclean error you had. However iTSfv still supports file formats MP3/M4A that iTunes officially supports.

I want to use the synch feature, to get covers for songs that I recently added, hopefully without having to rescan the entire library.

Thanks

Just an excellent idea. Thanks. IIRC iTLU does this already which I forgot to implement.
For the next version, iTSfv will support
5.8.x.x Ability to look for multiple music folder locations for Synchrocleaning

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Just a word to say that everything seems to work perfectly so far.

The "Export artwork" works like a charm.

The "Import artwork" also seems to work, although I've only done some limited testing. The "Import every single jpg file in album folder" option looks great to me.

That's all for the moment. Thanks.

Jose, thanks for the feedback.

Reply #79
I want to use the synch feature, to get covers for songs that I recently added, hopefully without having to rescan the entire library. Thanks

iTunes still doesn't allow multiple library paths with the ability to organize music. You can add tracks from folders other than the iTunes music folder path but they will not be organized.

I've been experimenting with an upgrade to Synchroclean® feature to support multiple locations.

Basically iTSfv will now additionally look for all the folders you specify in the above listBox for new tracks that's not in iTunes music library and offer to add them. iTSfv will NOT copy them to the primary music folder location set by iTunes. However, as previous versions of iTSfv did, iTSfv WILL copy music added from any other location if dragged & dropped to iTSfv. This is done so that you won't accidentally edit tags of a album folder you are seeding.

Reply #80
I am quite confident it will work for you now.

...and it does!  Great work, thanks McoreD - your skill as a programmer is only surpassed by your helpfulness. Rating feature now works as it did before, and I'm having fun playing with it again.

By the way - there's one more thing I was going to ask about, when I quit iTunes, it keeps telling me another script is still using it, even after iTSfv is no longer running, is anyone else seeing this?

But thanks again for sorting my problem out so quickly!

Bluenote

Reply #81
thanks McoreD - your skill as a programmer is only surpassed by your helpfulness

I agree. McoreD is an example to follow for other fellow programmers, because programming isn't everything : the ability to listen carefully to feedbacks and requests, and to be responsive and efficient, is even more important IMHO. Add a touch of kindness, shake everything, serve it cool, and there you have it folks : McoreD in all its glory.

Reply #82
I agree, I have never seen a more attentive programmer in my entire llfe
Thanks McoreD!

Reply #83
Thanks... and you guys have been a pleasure to work with great enthusiasm which make it all enjoyable.

iTSfv 5.8.2.0
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=538923

5.8.2.0 All the log files will be stored in Documents\iTSfv Logs directory to allow Limited Users to run iTSfv when it is installed in Program Files
5.8.1.1 iTSfv crashed if embedded artwork was corrupt. [ itsfv-Bugs-1790529 ] generic error occurred in GDI+
5.8.1.0 While adding new music, tracks with ID3v2 2.4 will have the TrackNumber rewritten so that iTunes can detect them
5.8.0.1 Browse Album did not work for browsing album outside of iTunes Music folder path

urlwolf,

5.8.0.0 Ability to look for multiple music folder locations for Synchrocleaning. iTSfv will add these files to iTunes without copying

5.7.5.0 Enabled logging Track Ratings to file. Accessible via Context Menu > Logs > Tracks that Ratings was adjusted...
5.7.4.5 Tagging "Unknown Album" to songs where the album tag is blank is now optional [Bluenote]
5.7.4.4 Adjusting rating fails with 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' if track tags were incomplete [Ryan/Bluenote]
5.7.4.3 iTSfv would crash it found a non existant track while determining folder where most music is
5.7.4.2 iTMS artwork was not embedded if no artwork was found in music folder and also disabled creation of Folder.jpg and Artwork.jpg
5.7.4.1 Fixed [ itsfv-Bugs-1790526 ] Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow while adjust ratings [Andre]

Cheers!

Reply #84
Hi All,

Incorporating Jose/urlwolf/Bluenote feedback, in addition to two new features, I have increased error handling in iTSfv to handle different library configurations. Got rid of most GDI errors.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/itsfv/iTS...use_mirror=osdn

Version 5.09 - 20070914

5.9.0.3 Artwork dimensions cache table was not loaded to memory if Validation was run more than once
5.9.0.2 iTSfv will no longer write interrupted validations to the XHTML Report
5.9.0.1 Log files included duplicate track entries if Validation was run multiple times under same instance [after 5.8.2.0]
5.9.0.0 Introduced a Menu system to easily navigate through the functions with ability to open statistics files
5.8.4.0 Tracks without at least Artist, Album and Name tags will be ignored by iTSfv
5.8.3.3 iTSfv will not display incomplete statistics anymore if the process of interrupted
5.8.3.2 AlbumArtist tag was overwritten as Various Artists all the time during validation for Compilations
5.8.3.1 Possible fix for [ itsfv-Bugs-1790524 ] Parameter is not valid at new cXmlArtwork
5.8.3.0 iTSfv will attempt adding artwork using TagLib to tracks iTunes failed to AddArtworkFromFile
5.8.2.1 Fixed [ itsfv-Bugs-1790522 ] HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component when iTunes fails to AddArtworkFromFile to some tracks
5.8.2.0 All the log files will be stored in Documents\iTSfv Logs directory to allow Limited Users to run iTSfv when it is installed in Program Files
5.8.1.1 iTSfv crashed if embedded artwork was corrupt. [ itsfv-Bugs-1790529 ] generic error occurred in GDI+
5.8.1.0 While adding new music, tracks with ID3v2 2.4 will have the TrackNumber rewritten so that iTunes can detect them
5.8.0.1 Browse Album did not work for browsing album outside of iTunes Music folder path
5.8.0.0 Ability to look for multiple music folder locations for Synchrocleaning. iTSfv will add these files to iTunes without copying
5.7.4.4 Adjusting rating fails with 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' if track tags were incomplete [Ryan/Bluenote]

Cheers,
McoreD

Reply #85
Hi McoreD, I was thinking of a new small addition to iTSfv.

Let's assume you have validated your library and put some nice artwork in all relevant folders.

Let's assume you have this artwork doubled ("Artist - (Year) Album" and "Artwork" for instance, it could be anything else).

So, in order to enhance compatibility with all players, it still lacks "Folder" and "AlbumArtSmall".

Even worse, let's assume that in some folders the artwork has different patterns ("Artist - Album" and "Folder" for instance, or incorrect patterns like "Artist - Album" with typos for instance).

It could be useful to have an option that scans all relevant folders, finds all different patterns (including unknown ones like patterns with typos), then proposes to validate all this by creating all missing artwork files. For that, after scanning, iTSfv would show all the existing patterns PLUS the missing patterns in a window with checkboxes next to them (then you could select which patterns you want to create or not).

Of course the patterns you de-select would be automatically erased... 

Just my two cents to enhance this useful little program.

Jose

Reply #86
5.8.4.0 Tracks without at least Artist, Album and Name tags will be ignored by iTSfv

OK, I need to ask - WHY?

Was working so nicely, and now the new iTSfv ignores a number of my tracks...
I realize on this forum a lot of people are obsessive-compulsive about tagging their music  but I have a number of tracks, especially classical, with no information on the artist or the album.
I still think these have a right to be counted, don't you?

Thanks again though, apart from this little hitch your program just gets better and better!

Bluenote

Reply #87
I realize on this forum a lot of people are obsessive-compulsive about tagging their music  but I have a number of tracks, especially classical, with no information on the artist or the album.

Shame on you. Tagging is EVERYTHING ! 

(just kidding)

Reply #88
Jose,

surely will take that idea into thinking. Cheers.

Bluenote,

Interesting theory. I was quite convinced that when you don't have at least Artist, Album and Track tags, the Ratings evaluation would be quite meaningless. The change was done to avoid any complications while validating. May be you are talking about Adjusting Rating? The change affects this part as well. I am making it completely optional so tagless tracks will still be able to pass through.

Bluenote, Please let me know if the ignored files are included again.

Version 5.09 - 20071015?

5.9.3.1 Tweak 5.8.4.0 Tracks without at least Artist, Album and Name tags will be ignored by iTSfv is now optional in General > Validate. [Bluenote]
5.9.3.0 Added Tracks statistics to Statistics window which is similar to Top Rated smart playlist in iTunes
5.9.2.0 Statistics increased to Top 10 instead of Top 5. This is user configurable under Advanced.
5.9.1.1 Fixed another [ itsfv-Bugs-1790526 ] Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow while adjust ratings
5.9.1.0 Parsing iTunes Music Library is now much faster as iTSfv now parses the XML database instead of iTunesLib. 15,000 Tracks under one minute.

Reply #89
McoreD:

I still get hungups, even when analyizing only parts of my library.
The percentage in the title bar disappears, and the program just freezes.

Also, a new thing: there's a scroll bar that says "itunes: writing tags" on top of every other window, that is pretty distracting (just covering what you are writing  . Are you guys experiencing this? Is that intentional? Can we get the old behavior?

Thanks

Reply #90
Bluenote, Please let me know if the ignored files are included again.

Thanks for that change! Unfortunately, I can't get the tick in the "Include tracks without Name, Artist and Album" to stay  I click on OK but if I open the options immediately afterwards, the tick is gone again!
Rating works well, but sadly excluding all my non-album tracks...

Nice new stats, by the way!

Thanks again.

Bluenote

Reply #91
Thanks for that change! Unfortunately, I can't get the tick in the "Include tracks without Name, Artist and Album" to stay  I click on OK but if I open the options immediately afterwards, the tick is gone again!
Rating works well, but sadly excluding all my non-album tracks...

Bluenote, thanks for pointing out that. Please replace the iTSfv.exe with this updated one

I knew I was missing something and that was to set that option remembering.   

Reply #92
McoreD:

I still get hungups, even when analyizing only parts of my library.
The percentage in the title bar disappears, and the program just freezes.

Also, a new thing: there's a scroll bar that says "itunes: writing tags" on top of every other window, that is pretty distracting (just covering what you are writing  . Are you guys experiencing this? Is that intentional? Can we get the old behavior?

Thanks

urlwolf, that's really unfortunate in my end not being able to figure out what the error is. Now it comes to the point where I will have to suggest you to run iTSfv in debug mode - via Visual Basic Express or Sharp Develop.
I'd suggest the small download of SharpDevelop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/. It would be great to make use of the open source nature of iTSfv if you can.

1. Download http://downloads.sourceforge.net/itsfv/iTS...use_mirror=osdn
2. Install somewhere in My Documents you would like to save the source
3. Open SharpDevelop and browse for the iTSfv.sln
4. Right click References (shown below) and remove all unlinked DLLs
5. Right click References and Add Reference. Go to ".NET Assembly Browser" and Browse for the following DLLs in iTSfv folder: McoreSystem.dll, Interop.iTunesLib.dll, Graphing.V3.dll and taglib-sharp.dll.

Reply #93
Bluenote, thanks for pointing out that. Please replace the iTSfv.exe with this updated one

Works! Thank you!!

Minor point - the stats look a bit funny now with "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist" leading the field.  I guess this is a consequence of your new implementation? I wonder if these unknowns could simply be ignored for the stats calculations? Back in v5.8, that's how it used to work...

Another challenge for you?

But even if you're now understandably fed up with me and my partially tagged files.... thanks again for the quick fixes!

Bluenote

Sorry...... me again! This doesn't look right, does it?

Reply #94
Minor point - the stats look a bit funny now with "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist" leading the field.  I guess this is a consequence of your new implementation? I wonder if these unknowns could simply be ignored for the stats calculations? Back in v5.8, that's how it used to work...

Another challenge for you?  But even if you're now understandably fed up with me and my partially tagged files.... thanks again for the quick fixes!

Sorry...... me again! This doesn't look right, does it? Why 2871 Unknown Tracks? Every single one of my tracks has a title, even if not an album title or artist. The saga continues....

Bluenote, yes right now we are struggling with issues by design. 

I wonder if these unknowns could simply be ignored for the stats calculations? Back in v5.8, that's how it used to work... ---- Changes are done so that for Top ## Genre, Album Artists, Artist and Album will IGNORE partially tagged tracks. Top ## Tracks will CONSIDER partially tagged tracks. So you will now see Unknown Artist - Fragile for a song "Fragile" if Artist tag is missing. For validation purposes (including Adjusting Rating) you still have the option to INCLUDE partially tagged tracks. Please let me know if that's what you like to see and if it really works as I described.

5.09.3.2 Partially tagged tracks will be accounted for Top # Tracks statistics

I can explain how the 2871 tracks were counted as Unknown.  It was considered as an unknown when both Artist and Album Artist tag were absent. This won't happen again because of the new change described above.

Also the thing with Percentage counting twice (that you mentioned the other day) happens when iTSfv validates the last album, the progress percentage changes from Album progress calculation to Tracks progress calculation.

So iTSfv doesn't seem to crash with your Library? That's great to hear! How many tracks are there in your library?

Cheers,
McoreD

P.S: Also it's nice to see your interests in iTunes Statistics have rooted years back

Hi guys, a while ago I saw a program mentioned (possibly even here) that would generate statistics for the songs (which ones played, for how long etc.) on your iPod/iTunes. Was I dreaming? Tried doing a search but that didn't throw anything up. Would appreciate any pointers, thanks!

For others' interest: changes in src to make Statistics faster: http://itsfv.cvs.sourceforge.net/itsfv/its...=1.7&r2=1.8

Reply #95

Yay!  It works again! Now the stats look fine again, and I think the way it displays "Unknown" when the field is blank is an elegant solution.

So iTSfv doesn't seem to crash with your Library? That's great to hear! How many tracks are there in your library?

5459 and counting, Sir. Sadly that's about as many as will fit onto my 30GB iPod so it'll probably stay in the vicinity of that too...

P.S: Also it's nice to see your interests in iTunes Statistics have rooted years back

*cough* Thanks for being so discrete about my somewhat.... eclectic taste in music. I was too tired when I made my last post, otherwise I might have done a quick Photoshop job.

Thanks again! Now there's just that weird message about scripts being active... or is that an iTunes limitation?

Well I'm off to re-rate my tracks!
Bluenote

Reply #96
Is the exporting and importing feature entirely lossless? Could I be exporting all the artwork (regardless whether iTunes downloaded the artwork or if it was already embedded in the file) and then import all the artwork again and there wouldn't be any quality loss or filesize increase of the artwork?

thank you
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #97
Is the exporting and importing feature entirely lossless? Could I be exporting all the artwork (regardless whether iTunes downloaded the artwork or if it was already embedded in the file) and then import all the artwork again and there wouldn't be any quality loss or filesize increase of the artwork?

Jojo,

Yes the process is entirely lossless. iTSfv merely uses only the copy command to export and import JPG artwork using iTunes SDK with one exception while exporting PNG artwork as Folder.jpg. It is not proper to just rename a PNG artwork as folder.jpg so iTSfv converts any non-JPG artwork before saving as Folder.jpg. To import artwork you alway s have the flexibility to specify the file pattern and file type in iTSfv Options.

Thanks again! Now there's just that weird message about scripts being active... or is that an iTunes limitation?

Bluenote,

iTunes gives that message before quitting after 10-15 seconds of closing iTSfv? I've been releasing Debug builds as BETA versions so that could take a bit more time to finalize calls to DLLs. This is not something personally I have always experienced but I will try destroying the iTunesApp object on iTSfv close.

All,

Released last night was a new feature that might come handy. Basically you can select all tracks in a Playlist in iTunes and export (copy) the tracks to a folder you specify with a customized file pattern.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/itsfv/iTS...mp;big_mirror=0

5.10.0.0 Support exporting selected tracks to another directory specified
5.09.4.1 Incorrectly identified folder with most music, if the iTunes music folder was within that folder
5.09.4.0 Support for dragging more music albums while iTSfv is already adding music to iTunes

5.09.3.3 Backup Ratings XML file save path defaulted to Logs Directory

Cheers,
McoreD

Reply #98
Thanks McoreD,

I don't think I'll be able to compile the code and debug it... too much time.
Actually, I don't understand the new features in sychroclean, and how it intereacts with the folders in the 'explorer' section (this has changed in 5.10 I guess). the manual I have for 5.9 has old pictures.

This is getting too messy for simply getting covers. That's all I need. I think I'll try using mp3toys, which is pretty automatic, although pic quality is a lot lower.

I'll keep cheking this thread to see if the problems have been solved.

Thanks!

Reply #99

Well, I guess everybody has the right to make his own choices (even if they're not the best ones  ). See you urlwolf !