Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Digital DJ hardware (Read 3348 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital DJ hardware

Hi folks

I'm currently evaluating different options to enable me perform live sets / DJ from my laptop.

There are a number of different options available. I have plenty of general Qs regarding the best solution for this but the focus for this thread is really audio quality.

I guess I should state that my source material will be either wav, flac or worst case mp3 320kbps. I'm looking for a setup that'll be quality for club PAs.

Some of the front runners:

- traktor scratch
- serato scratch [pdf]
- vestax vci300 (integrated midi controller + soundcard)
- vestax vci100 (midi controller) + ext card e.g. apogee duet

Has anyone had much experience with any of these devices in a club / high quality listening environment? My suspicion is that a standalone soundcard like the apogee would prob serve best in terms of quality but I'd like some opinions on the integrated solutions if poss. I read somewhere that the traktor solutions used Cirrus ad/da convertors which is apparently a good thing ™? No idea personally..

Any thoughts welcome

Digital DJ hardware

Reply #1
To answer my own Q somewhat I eventually went for a VCI 100 with Traktor Scratch. The Audio 8 audio interface that comes with Scratch was deemed to be superior in sound quality than the Serato version by most of the shops I spoke to.

The Apogee wouldn't allow you to prelisten in Traktor to line up the next track, unless you created an aggregate device in OS X and aggregated it with the laptop built in soundcard. A quick google of this reaped lots of head scratching though..

Hi folks

I'm currently evaluating different options to enable me perform live sets / DJ from my laptop.

There are a number of different options available. I have plenty of general Qs regarding the best solution for this but the focus for this thread is really audio quality.

I guess I should state that my source material will be either wav, flac or worst case mp3 320kbps. I'm looking for a setup that'll be quality for club PAs.

Some of the front runners:

- traktor scratch
- serato scratch [pdf]
- vestax vci300 (integrated midi controller + soundcard)
- vestax vci100 (midi controller) + ext card e.g. apogee duet

Has anyone had much experience with any of these devices in a club / high quality listening environment? My suspicion is that a standalone soundcard like the apogee would prob serve best in terms of quality but I'd like some opinions on the integrated solutions if poss. I read somewhere that the traktor solutions used Cirrus ad/da convertors which is apparently a good thing ?? No idea personally..

Any thoughts welcome