Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems With Dolbydigital/dts-audiocd (Read 8936 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems With Dolbydigital/dts-audiocd

I tried to burn an DolbyDigital and an DTS-AudioCD. Both was just noise. I thought why isn´t it played correctly? I looked at the output of InterVideo Audio Decoder: FormatTag: 146, channels: 2 (also the file was 5.1), Samplerate: 48000 (also the file was 44100)...
I thought, I could try change the FormatTag in a hex-editor to 92 (hex for 146). File was played like with FormatTag 1 (1 = pcm int; 3 = pcm float...), just noise. The file was 44100Hz, 2 channels... like CD. The InterVideo Audio Decoder hat outputed 48000kHz? I encoded a 48000kHz to Dolby Digital wav and changed the FormatTag to 92 and: Perfect!!! Dolby Digital playback from PC without any filters!
I tried the same with DTS and what happened?
DTS playback with PC in WMP!!!!
The problem is: CD always outputs 44100Hz, I cannot burn a 48KHz wav on it.
Is it a bug in my Receiver (Sherwood RD 6106R)?

Reply #1
edit: wait a sec.. you mean you could playback the DTS cd using wmp??

Reply #2
I believe you need to playback such a CD using a cd player with a digital output. Playing it with analog output you'll only hear noice.
About details about how it should be connected and stuff i really don't know.. But surely someone here does.

Of course I use the digital output! Analog isn´t even connected.
the problem is the same on PC: It only works with 48kHz, not with 44,1kHz, but CD has 44,1kHz.

Reply #3
yeah my mistake i edited the post ..
About the DTS that's weird...

Reply #4
edit: wait a sec.. you mean you could playback the DTS cd using wmp??
Not exactly, the CD is 44100Hz. I resampled the source files to 48000Hz and encoded them again to DTS. After changing the formattag from 1 to 146 it could playback it perfectly (in DTS with WMP without any special filter!!!!), but only 48kHz. If you have DTS/AC3-Decoder connected to the PC, but no encoder download this files. FormatTag is already changed:
http://l.b.oltmanns.bei.t-online.de/ac3_wav.rar (2,7MB)
http://l.b.oltmanns.bei.t-online.de/dts_wav.rar (3,02MB)
If anybody know how to convert .dts files to dts-wav he could write a Filter that allows S/PDIF out with DTS from MPEG-2 streams.

Reply #5
What version of Windows + WMP are you using? I am using XP + WMP 8 and the files will not play. WMP says the format of the files is not recognized.

Reply #6
What version of Windows + WMP are you using? I am using XP + WMP 8 and the files will not play. WMP says the format of the files is not recognized.
Stupid question: have you unrared the files? Has your soundcard a digital-out? I have Win2k SP3 and Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 soundcard. The files play fine with every directshow-player.

Reply #7
Stupid question: have you unrared the files? Has your soundcard a digital-out? I have Win2k SP3 and Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 soundcard. The files play fine with every directshow-player.

Yes I decompressed the files 
I am running XP Professional with all updates except SP1.
MAudio Audiophile soundcard

I have no problem playing back regular (44.1kHz) DTS-WAV files using Winamp and the ASIO output plugin.

Reply #8
Yes I decompressed the files  
I am running XP Professional with all updates except SP1.
MAudio Audiophile soundcard

I have no problem playing back regular (44.1kHz) DTS-WAV files using Winamp and the ASIO output plugin.

Can you playback ac3 in wmp with InterVideo Audio Decoder and S/PDIF out? Can you playback the ac3-wav? I use the same format or both (I got the value for ac3 by viewing the rendering options while playing ac3 with s/pdif), maybe it must be an other value for DTS but my receiver doesn´t care. Can the file be played in winamp after changing the value back to 01 (at byte offset 14, now the value 92) in a hex-editor?

I yust found tool that can create DTS-Wavs of vobs including DTS (I tested it and it plays perfect): Vobrator
Does anybody know an MPEG-2 muxer supporting DTS?

Reply #9
I do not have any AC3 files available right now but I tried to play a Divx movie with AC3 sound in WMP and it crashed. There must be some kind of problem with the Intervideo filter in my system right now.

After changing the FormatTag in your files back to 01 I can play them in Winamp using the ASIO output plugin. But using WMP or selecting another output plugin in Winamp results in noise.

Reply #10
I do not have any AC3 files available right now but I tried to play a Divx movie with AC3 sound in WMP and it crashed. There must be some kind of problem with the Intervideo filter in my system right now.

Did it ever worked? Maybe the format-tags are different with every soundcard. Have you tried build the graph manually with an other renderer (waveout) with formattag 92? I´ve read several times that S/PDIF out with default DirectSound device doesn´t work with many soundcrads (mostly creative).

Reply #11
After changing the FormatTag in your files back to 01 I can play them in Winamp using the ASIO output plugin. But using WMP or selecting another output plugin in Winamp results in noise.

I´ve tried the ASIO output plug-in, but the result is also here yust noise (with 44.1kHz and 48kHz). With 48kHz the Dolby-Digital-Lamp on my receiver is flickering, but he can´t get the signal. Do need any special setting in the output plug-in?

Reply #12
Did it ever worked? Maybe the format-tags are different with every soundcard. Have you tried build the graph manually with an other renderer (waveout) with formattag 92? I´ve read several times that S/PDIF out with default DirectSound device doesn´t work with many soundcrads (mostly creative).

I found the problem. The player was trying to use another filter (nvauddec.ax from the NVDVD player) to output the sound. After temporarily removing the nvauddec filter ac3 could be played back properly in WMP. Unfortunately this did not have any affect on your original AC3-WAV or DTS-WAV files. They were still not recognized as proper WAV files.

I´ve tried the ASIO output plug-in, but the result is also here yust noise (with 44.1kHz and 48kHz). With 48kHz the Dolby-Digital-Lamp on my receiver is flickering, but he can´t get the signal. Do need any special setting in the output plug-in?

If the DD indicator on your receiver is flickering you may need to increase the buffer length in the ASIO plugin. I have the buffer length set to 32. Also make sure your soundcard is detecting the correct sample rate, it looks like it may be resampling to 48Khz.

Reply #13
I found the problem. The player was trying to use another filter (nvauddec.ax from the NVDVD player) to output the sound. After temporarily removing the nvauddec filter ac3 could be played back properly in WMP. Unfortunately this did not have any affect on your original AC3-WAV or DTS-WAV files. They were still not recognized as proper WAV files.

Is it just noise or does an error message appear. Could you tell me what the values are when you play an ac3 with InterVideo Audio Decoder S/PDIF out in audio renderer details? At my system they are (from top to bottom in default DirectSound renderer):
146 (format)
2 (channels)
48000 (samplerate)
192000 (samplerate*channels?)
Have you tried another Audio Renderer (waveOut) in Graphedit?
If the DD indicator on your receiver is flickering you may need to increase the buffer length in the ASIO plugin. I have the buffer length set to 32.

That doesn´t change anythink, it´s always the same, doesn´t matter if it´s set to 7, 32, 63 or 0.
Also make sure your soundcard is detecting the correct sample rate, it looks like it may be resampling to 48Khz.

No, my receiver only accepts 48kHz ac3/dts-wavs, that´s maybe why it doesn´t flicker with 44,1kHz.

Reply #14
Is it just noise or does an error message appear.

First WMP tries to download a codec and then an error message appears saying "... the file may be formatted with an unsupported codec."

Could you tell me what the values are when you play an ac3 with InterVideo Audio Decoder S/PDIF out in audio renderer details? At my system they are (from top to bottom in default DirectSound renderer):
146 (format)
2 (channels)
48000 (samplerate)
192000 (samplerate*channels?)
Have you tried another Audio Renderer (waveOut) in Graphedit?

When using graphedit to render an AC3 file the S/PDIF output option in the InterVideo Audio decoder filter is grayed out. So all I can get is the decoded signal. Here are the details:

I am able play your AC3 and DTS files by inserting them manually into graph edit and then connecting them to the Wave Parser and then the Default WaveOut Device. The audio renderer details match yours:

I cannot connect your files directly from the Wave Parser to my Default DirectSound Device (this is what is used by default when I render a regular WAV file). A message appears saying that the filters cannot agree on a connection. This is probably why I cannot play the files in WMP as it is trying to use DirectSound. If there is a way to force WMP to use WaveOut then I think I will be able to play your files in WMP.

Reply #15
I also tried to playback the edited files (with FormatTag set to 1) in graphedit. All I got was noise with both DirectSound and WaveOut.

Reply #16
I also tried to playback the edited files (with FormatTag set to 1) in graphedit. All I got was noise with both DirectSound and WaveOut.

I mean, set the format in both files to hex 92 and build this graph:

dts_wav.wav -> Wave Parser -> Default WaveOut Device
or
ac3_wav.wav -> Wave Parser -> Default WaveOut Device

Is that playable (and decodeable by your receiver)? Because the wav-parser outputs then exactly the same format like InterVideo Audio Decoder. It semms that you have an Creative-Soundcard, where is S/PDIF out is only possible with WaveOut. Other palyers where you can force another output renderer like PowerDivX/The Core Media Player should play this files fine, when renderer is set to WaveOut.

Reply #17
Yes I can play and hear the audio decoded by my receiver when I set up the graph that way. As I stated above:
I am able [to] play your AC3 [ac3_wav.wav] and DTS [dts_wav.wav] files by inserting them manually into graph edit and then connecting them to the Wave Parser and then the Default WaveOut Device. The audio renderer details match yours:

In other words, I can hear your files perfectly with the format set to 92 hex (146 decimal) but only with WaveOut; DirectSound does not work. I am not using a Creative soundcard. I am in fact using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard.

This is an interesting find. Using your method it is possible for anyone to get DTS-WAV and AC3-WAV files to be played back via an s/pdif bypass like method and without using ASIO drivers.

Reply #18
In other words, I can hear your files perfectly with the format set to 92 hex (146 decimal) but only with WaveOut; DirectSound does not work. I am not using a Creative soundcard. I am in fact using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard.

Sorry, I didn´t read it correctly. Super! This DirectSound-Problem is typical for all Creative-Soundcards, there is no way around it, also not with InterVideo Audio Decoder, maybe your card uses the same chip. But for everybody else who doesn´t have a Creative-Card, this is the easiest way to play such files, because for me this asio-plug-in doesn´t work.

Now the question is: Has anybody information how to make an dts-wav of an normal dts and is able to program such a Filter that allows you playback MPEG-2 Streams with DTS? There is one freeware-tool craeting DTS-WAV from DTS perfectly (Vobrator), but there is no email etc. only "EOF" at the end of the readme. Maybe this guy is able to code a DS-Filter that allows you playback .dts-Files with S/PDIF out.

Edit: I should read better, I´ve thought you have got an creative soundcard.