Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v2.0 bugs (Read 132601 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foobar2000 v2.0 bugs

Reply #801
Using v. 2.0 (stable) or 2.1 beta (64 bits), interface is temporarily freezing on my side when I update tags, while music is still playing flawlessly. It can last from a few seconds (if I update tags of a single album) to a few minutes (for a bunch of albums using masstager) and everything will be fine again after all operations are completed. Meanwhile CPU usage is somewhere between 20 and 50 %. Same thing happens while new music is being downloaded and automatically scanned for being added in media library. My computer is "a bit" old (see specs below) and music library quite big.

This didn't happen with previous versions. I don't know anything about computing, but I guess this has something to do with foobar now being unable to forget new tag updates after crash (which is nice) and that this is not a bug but a consequence of choices made. Hence I'd like to know if there were ways to shorten this temporary freeze for old computers ran by old people like me... Any help appreciated!

Of course I use some components, mostly JScript Panel samples, but I guess they affect RAM more than CPU, and problems were similar without them installed.

Here's my configuration:

CPU   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
RAM   16,0 Go
Foobar on SDD
Music library (over 18,000 albums; 8 TB data) on 3 different supposedly healthy HDD
Windows 10

Coming back on this... It seems that foobar is rebuilding the entire library each time I make any change on the metadatas or doing anything else that could affect the library (adding an album for instance). It is pretty annoying since heavy changes can freeze the program for tenth of minutes. Tasks manager tells me that foobar uses up to 40 % of CPU ressources (usually 25-30 % and less than 1 % in normal use). I tried everything I could with Windows, such as giving foobar "real time access" with no results. I'm a bit desperate about this...

Coming back again on this, just to let you know that I found the culprit: Smooth Browser (JScript Panel script). Removed it and everything is now working fine, except relatively high RAM use.

Reply #802
I have Windows 7 (64-bit).

I upgraded Foobar to 2.1 (64-bit) from 1.16.

Foobar cannot load now George Yohng's VST Wrapper.
The error message says: "Failed to load DLL: foo_dsp_vstwrap.dll.  Reason: Not a valid Win32 application."

What should I do? How to make this VST wrapper compatible with the newest version of Foobar? I need this plugin very much as I used it to connect to a VST host program in which I used lots of VST plugins.

Thank you for any advice.

PS: I wish Foobar had a way to connect to VST plugins as one of its standard features to harness the power of a multitude of VST plugins that are out there...

Reply #803
That VST Wrapper is 32-bit, try it on a 32-bit version of foobar2000.
Also try this component: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_vst3
Allows VST effects to be used as DSPs in foobar2000. Supported processor architectures: x86 32-bit, x86 64-bit.

Reply #804
Get the new VST host plugin linked to by Gus, it blows the old Yohng one out of the water.  Written by Peter, can host 32 or 64-bit VST2/3 plugins independent of the player architecture, etc.  Basically uncrashable.

Reply #805
2.0, 2.1 have problems with the support of the tak format, the older tak format cannot be properly decoded with the built-in ffmpeg, but it can be played correctly using the tak decoder plugin (the same is true for other media players that use ffmpeg, such as mpv)

Reply #806
2.0, 2.1 have problems with the support of the tak format, the older tak format cannot be properly decoded with the built-in ffmpeg, but it can be played correctly using the tak decoder plugin (the same is true for other media players that use ffmpeg, such as mpv)
Does it give the proper error message?
(If you want to use TAK, why not convert to new TAK?)

Reply #808
i don't know if this is a bug or intentional but updating to 2.0 64 bit stable appears to leave the old 1.6.x version folders/shortcuts/etc. intact though you can no longer uninstall it from windows' app list. is it safe to delete the old folders or best to just leave them alone? i guess future releases will clear them eventually?

Reply #809
The 64-bit foobar2000 installer intentionally doesn't touch the 32-bit installation. Though shortcut icons obviously get overwritten by the latest installation.

It would be best to uninstall the 32-bit version before installing the 64-bit player. But you can still do it later. Unfortunately I learned too late that the modern side "Apps and Features" doesn't list both bitness variants, but the "Programs and Features" option in Control Panel can do it just fine.
Alternatively you can enter the old directory under Program Files and manually launch the uninstall.exe from there.
Do not just delete the directory, otherwise the registry will be left with unwanted and invalid entries.

Reply #810
The 64-bit foobar2000 installer intentionally doesn't touch the 32-bit installation. Though shortcut icons obviously get overwritten by the latest installation.

It would be best to uninstall the 32-bit version before installing the 64-bit player. But you can still do it later. Unfortunately I learned too late that the modern side "Apps and Features" doesn't list both bitness variants, but the "Programs and Features" option in Control Panel can do it just fine.
Alternatively you can enter the old directory under Program Files and manually launch the uninstall.exe from there.
Do not just delete the directory, otherwise the registry will be left with unwanted and invalid entries.
ah, that's why. i forgot the original control panel shows a more complete list. I can confirm this works, 1.6 is removed and the 64-bit 2.0 version is unaffected. I also realized the separate installs would help some people with 32-bit only plugins, not realizing the 64-bit version don't work with them, and can promptly revert versions. I installed the 64-bit version even while the old version was still installed because it was recommended to do so by the official wiki and the change log implied it didn't really matter. and also it would save time by being able to import settings, keyboard shortcuts and playlists. just glad i don't have to wrangle regedit and figure out how to clean things there again

thanks a lot

Reply #811

hmm.. I use a portable style install for easier backups...
if Peter can get the few Kode54 components I use up to speed for 64bit I will upgrade to it.
he did so for foo_gep renaming it to

I intend to install right over the 32bit version if possible,
to keep all my playlists and components intact but for components I will have to do that reinstall and hope it takes the 64bit versions this time...

Reply #812
"Toggle Full-Screen Mode" - does not return the visualization window size.

Reply #813
Unable to display cover normally after opening .cue in UTF-8.
Given a .cue file and a .flac with embedded cover, if I play .flac directly or play .cue in UTF-8 with BOM, the cover is displayed normally. However, I play .cue in UTF-8 without BOM, the cover won't be displayed, and it will hint "no image".

Reply #815
Issue with streaming DSF AND WAV files over ftp servers
  - Providing a network stream ftp://, a .DSF will play with distorted sound
  - Providing a network stream http:// or https://, a .DSF will play fine
  - DFF files will stream fine over ftp and http/s
  - Providing a network stream ftp://, a .WAV will play as static sound
  - Providing a network stream http:// or https://, a .WAV will play fine
  - FLAC files will stream over ftp or http/s and play fine
There are likely more codecs that have this issue, these are just the ones I have come across and compared.
I can provide examples for clarification...

Reply #816
FB2K 2.0 is missing the option to specify push or event for exclusive mode.
File > Preferences > Advanced > Playback > enable 'Exclusive output overrides' > disable 'Use event'. = Push

Thank you for the tip!

@Tortie

not a bug.

foobar2000 change log
https://www.foobar2000.org/changelog

foobar2000 v1.6(2020-09-02)
> Default output mode is now WASAPI shared.

Output: default

foobar2000 v1.6.7 (2021-05-20)
> Built-in WASAPI exclusive output.

Output: device [exclusive]
------
Different people have different tastes in UI.
I have been using Default UI.
It's been a text editor style UI for a long time.
I like Windows 11 + foobar2000 v2.0 32bit 64bit.

Understood. In 1.1.16 and earlier versions Foobar provided more granular control of the WASAPI output type in File > Preferences >  Playback > Output > Devices as the below screenshot shows. I was thrown for a loop when those push/event options disappeared in version 2.0.

X

Reply #818
I installed 2.0 (Windows 10) over the previous version. Unlike prior updates, 2.0 did not install over the older version. Instead, I ended up with two separate installations of foobar2000, and 2.0 didn't retain preferences and settings from the prior version, including the ASIO driver and SACD settings.   How about warning users in advance when an update is going to cause this situation?

Reply #820
^ Also... no thanks. Zero Width Space is useful for tagging same named artists/albums so they get differentiated in the library and get their own Playback Statistics.

Happens with some streams ...

(Perhaps contact the streamer and ask them to fix their stream? Rather than a foobar fix...)

Reply #821
Please make sure that $char(65279) ZERO-WIDTH SPACE can NOT end up in tags (like %artist%).
Kinda ... why? What is so special about that one that you call it a bug?

You don't consider a zero-width space character an illegal character in tags? (You cannot even see it's there).
Same as Character Right-To-Left Override and Character Left-To-Right Override.

IMO it should be stripped on the lowest level (foobar itself), so it does not have to be done in all (third party) plugins and your own code.

Reply #822
Just because a particular user (like yourself) don't see the need for a particular character (like zero-width space), does not make it anything close to "illegal". Stop whining bug about something that isn't.

Reply #823
Just because a particular user (like yourself) don't see the need for a particular character (like zero-width space), does not make it anything close to "illegal". Stop whining bug about something that isn't.

Whatever :-) Let's just say we disagree

Reply #824
From what I've been able to test, the problem is not related to foo_discogger.
It happens even with a clean foobar2000.
I've written down my tests below to make it more clear.

1. Run a completely clean foobar2000 (%APPDATA%foobar2000-v2 folder doesn't exist)
2. Close foobar2000 (%APPDATA%foobar2000-v2 folder created)

3. Unpack and copy the attached library-v2.0.7z file to %APPDATA%foobar2000-v2 folder
https://www.mediafire.com/file/s8aewprg8xjn4h4/library-v2.0.7z/file

4. Once again, run foobar2000
5. Library - Album List, Right-click on "All Music" and click "Create Autoplaylist"

Up to this point, everything is fine.

6. Playback - Order - Shuffle (albums) or Shuffle (folders)

View - Console, The "database is locked" message is repeating.
Code: [Select]
could not compile SQL:
SELECT info, infoBrowse, size, lastModified, infoBrowseTime, created, attribs, attribsValid FROM metadb WHERE name = ?
database is locked

bump

The bug is still there.
I reduced about 100,000 songs from the media library.
I also cleaned up a lot of tags in the files (deleted lyrics, cue data, etc.)
I deleted the existing files. Below are the newly created metadb and playlist files.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/bzqd2osxm3p4xcb/foobar2000-v2.7z/file

There seems to be something that the foobar2000 v2 DB can't handle and is causing errors.
file name too long?
some unicode it can't handle?
I have my suspicions, but there's nothing more I can do in the real world.

Code: [Select]
Components loaded in: 0:00.006330
Configuration read in: 0:00.000473
foobar2000 v2.1 preview 2023-07-27 x64 [standard]
Playlist #0 loaded in 0:00.108934
User Interface initialized in: 0:00.225828
Loading foo_discogger
foo_discogger: a previous foo_discogger.cfg.db file version was found
foo_discogger: http_client service ready
FFmpeg version: 6.0
Startup time : 0:00.270997
Watching: D:\Music
could not compile SQL:
SELECT info, infoBrowse, size, lastModified, infoBrowseTime, created, attribs, attribsValid FROM metadb WHERE name = ?
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
Library initialized after 0:00.718363
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked
could not compile SQL:
database is locked