Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: rating/star system (Read 7078 times) previous topic - next topic

rating/star system

Hi people,

I looked for this option in the search, but I find all things too complicated for me  I often ask friend for music and they give me some few G of music. Often I want to sort them on which I like and those I don't like: a rating system would come very handy.

Do someone have an imported plugin for this?

Much much thankies!

rating/star system

Reply #1
Thanks to flexible tagging, you don't need a plugin for tagging music with rating. Just "Add New Value" named "RATING" to a file. There exist several plugins to facilitate this repeated task of tagging the music like Quick Tagger.

rating/star system

Reply #2
Thanks to flexible tagging, you don't need a plugin for tagging music with rating. Just "Add New Value" named "RATING" to a file. There exist several plugins to facilitate this repeated task of tagging the music like Quick Tagger.

Thanks, but I've download it. Right mouse click and select on free tag and add value from 1 to 5. I can do that, the foobar will put a rate on the selected file.But where in my interface can I enable the colum where I can actually see the rating I gave? I tried in custom colums, but what do I need to insert into the patern?

rating/star system

Reply #3
I tried in custom colums, but what do I need to insert into the patern?

Right place to search. A column can display a track's tags using the so called Title Formatting Syntax (introduction, reference manual). The most easy way to display a tag ist to embrace its name by %, like this:
Code: [Select]
%rating%
This will display "1", "2", ... "5" or "?" if the track has no rating.

To suppress the question mark for a missing tag, you can use the $if function:
$if(%rating%,%rating%,)
This reads like "IF the song has a rating THEN display rating ELSE nothing". An abbreviation for this is to write
[%rating%]
which has the same effect.

If you don't want to simply show the number, but a symbol like a star, use the $repeat function:
$repeat(?,%rating%)
This is to be read like "REPEAT the star symbol %rating% times".

Edit: clarification

rating/star system

Reply #4
Give this a go in custom columns:

$if(%RATING%,
$ifgreater($meta(RATING),4,$rgb(184,250,0)•••••,
$ifgreater($meta(RATING),3,$rgb(255,230,0)••••,
$ifgreater($meta(RATING),2,$rgb(250,174,0)•••,
$ifgreater($meta(RATING),1,$rgb(250,111,0)••,•)
))),)

Replace ••• with stars if you wish. Looks best on dark background.

EDIT: Removed code tags.

rating/star system

Reply #5
Give this a go in custom columns: [use of $rgb function]

remark: $rgb() is currently only possible in the columns user interface (foo_ui_columns).

rating/star system

Reply #6
ojdo & s33m33:

I first tried Ojdo method, but it didn't work, probably too difficult for me  However, I did try s33m33 manners and it's almost perfect. However, when I give value 1 or 2, it only shows 1 star?

These are the values I set in the settings?

This is how I give a track a value from 1 to 5

But it only shows 1 star, eventhough I gave it a 5?

These are the codes I inserted from s33m33.

Where is the fault?

rating/star system

Reply #7
Can not see if you have the full codes inserted for s33m33.

Instead of an image, just copy and paste the code text here.

terry

rating/star system

Reply #8
Can not see if you have the full codes inserted for s33m33.

Instead of an image, just copy and paste the code text here.

terry

Sorry, here is the code that I inserted.

$if(%RATING%,$ifgreater($meta(RATING),4,$rgb(184,250,0)?????,$ifgreater($meta(RATING),3,$rgb(255,230,0)????,$ifgreater($meta(RATING),2,$rgb(250,174,0)???,$ifgreater($meta(RATING),1,$rgb(250,111,0)??,?)))),)

rating/star system

Reply #9

At the moment, you are storing strings like "value5" in your rating fields.

You should use plain numbers instead: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5.

Use plain $repeat(?,%rating%) as your column pattern. Replace ? by $char(9733) if you should not see a star. s33m33's pattern only adds colors which are not supported in the default user interface.

rating/star system

Reply #10

At the moment, you are storing strings like "value5" in your rating fields.

You should use plain numbers instead: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5.

Use plain $repeat(?,%rating%) as your column pattern. Replace ? by $char(9733) if you should not see a star. s33m33's pattern only adds colors which are not supported in the default user interface.

Sorry, I didn't saw your reply. Things are fixed now, thanks a lot.

Would you mind telling me how to get those colours then, if they aren't in default user interface?

rating/star system

Reply #11
Colors are not available in the default user interface.
You would need to switch to Columns user interface.

http://yuo.be/columns.php

terry

rating/star system

Reply #13
Awesome! Thanks a lot, I wonder what you guys use for rating? I get a rectangle with an ? inside, no star 

We use that "rectangle". When you change the font used for the playlist to one that offers unicode symbols (like Lucida Sans Unicode or Arial Unicode MS), the star will become visible.
The setting to change the font can be found in Preferences > Display > Default User Interface > Colors and Fonts.

Edit: I just saw that you switched to Columns UI. The same applies here, but the setting to change fonts for it is located under Preferences > Display > Columns UI > Colours and Fonts.

rating/star system

Reply #14
Awesome! Thanks a lot, I wonder what you guys use for rating? I get a rectangle with an ? inside, no star 

We use that "rectangle". When you change the font used for the playlist to one that offers unicode symbols (like Lucida Sans Unicode or Arial Unicode MS), the star will become visible.
The setting to change the font can be found in Preferences > Display > Default User Interface > Colors and Fonts.

Edit: I just saw that you switched to Columns UI. The same applies here, but the setting to change fonts for it is located under Preferences > Display > Columns UI > Colours and Fonts.

Strange, I tried that Lucida Sans Unicode or Arial Unicode MS in Columns UI. But still the same rectangle with ?

rating/star system

Reply #15
probably the best thread to ask my specific question regarding ratings tags and displaying in foobar

i'm trying to have it display tracks with no rating tag as 5 blank stars

i've tried searching but not sure how i should word the search to get what i want

obviously i'm using columnsui

$puts(r_cl,$rgb(255,234,83))
$puts(r_dl,$rgb())
$if(%RATING%,$ifequal($meta(RATING),5,$get(r_cl)★★★★★ ,
$ifequal($meta(RATING),4,$get(r_cl)★★★★$get(r_dl)☆,
$ifequal($meta(RATING),3,$get(r_cl)★★★$get(r_dl)☆☆,
$ifequal($meta(RATING),2,$get(r_cl)★★$get(r_dl)☆☆☆,
$ifequal($meta(RATING),1,$get(r_cl)★$get(r_dl)☆☆☆☆,
[WHAT DO I PUT HERE]$get(r_dl)☆☆☆☆☆,)))))),)
- sig removed, no code allowed

rating/star system

Reply #16
$rgb(255,234,83)$repeat($char(9733),%rating%)$rgb()$repeat($char(9734),$sub(5,%rating%))

EDIT:
Oh, i see, you only want to display meta rating:
$rgb(255,234,83)$repeat($char(9733),$meta(rating))$rgb()$repeat($char(9734),$sub(5,$meta(rating)))

rating/star system

Reply #17
thank you...
- sig removed, no code allowed

rating/star system

Reply #18
I use a closed rectangle and then I do a negative repeat (ie $repeat(□,$sub(6,%rating%)) - I use a 6 star rating system) and so the column in nicely justified (I believe this was the default with the old quick rating plugin).

So it looks something like:

■□□□□□
■■■□□□
■■□□□□
■■■■□□
■■□□□□
■■■■□□
■■■■■□
■■■■■■
■□□□□□
■■■■□□
■■■■■□
■■■■□□

If I could find a star and hollow star, I would have used that, but the font I am using doesn't seem to have them