Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What band do you miss the most? (Read 40743 times) previous topic - next topic

What band do you miss the most?

They just finished playing "November Rain" on the radio where I live.
And it ocurred to me how much I miss Guns N'Roses.
They used to be my favorite band, back when Bush Sr. was still president!
They were supposed to be making a comeback... almost three years ago!

Another long gone/much missed band is one third of HA's "Holy Trinity", which consists of: EAC, FB2k and Pink Floyd (almost anyone here loves this stuff, I do!)
Does anyone have any idea if they will ever come back?

So, how about you?
Who do you miss, and why?
Please, no dead people here, just bands that may actually come back.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #1
Vlad Tepes

Reply #2
It's like asking an old boxer to make a comeback, but for me, the Pixies or the Smiths. Whilst there've been rumblings of a Pixies return, any such comeback wouldn't probably do either band justice. But (breaking the spirit of your thread) if someone/something ever managed to resurrect Jeff Buckley or Jimi Hendrix...

Reply #3
It's like asking an old boxer to make a comeback, but for me, the Pixies or the Smiths. Whilst there've been rumblings of a Pixies return, any such comeback wouldn't probably do either band justice. But (breaking the spirit of your thread) if someone/something ever managed to resurrect Jeff Buckley or Jimi Hendrix...

Throw in Jeff's dad, Tim.

Reply #4
The Afghan Whigs. They stopped at their zenith while their star still shone bright.
Well since their leadsinger, main songwriter and primus motor, Greg Dulli, still is quite active in his "own" new band, Twilight Singers, the loss is more tolerable.
But I'd still love a reunion.

Prince & The Revolution (add Sheila E. on drums)
He's been floundering lately, and I really like to see what he could stir up with the old band.

Claudia Brücken (of solo and Act/Propaganda fame)
Ever since I heard her solo album in 1991 I've been waiting for a followup or at least a solid collaboration.

I'd like to see what Sly (and the Family) Stone might come up with should he/they ever become active again.I don't miss him, but I'd like to see what he could come up with after such a long hiatus.

Edit: added Prince

Reply #5
I really miss Nirvana.

I always had the impression they had so much more great music "in them". Kurt Cobain was a great singer/songwriter, and it's generally known that he had the strong desire to keep evolving and improving.

"You Know You're Right" shows that there was still so much potential in the band...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #6
Red Snapper, since they splitted up two years ago.

Reply #7
Prince & The Revolution (add Sheila E. on drums)

Definitely. I also miss the Dirty Mind/Controversy era Prince.

Also, pre-The Game Queen.

Rob

Reply #8
I miss the band "Grey Daze"

Reply #9
Another long gone/much missed band is .. Pink Floyd
Does anyone have any idea if they will ever come back?

A remnant "Pink Floyd" still exists, but they aren't planning to do anything new (as a band that is).  What we might see are 5.1 mixes and DVD's from older work.

Personaly, I'm looking forward to the PULSE DVD
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #10
the Smiths
Swing Kids
Unbroken
Negazione
Phil Ochs

and a lot of others
the earth is flat and the bottom is a place we call hell...

Reply #11
the Smiths
Swing Kids
Unbroken
Negazione
Phil Ochs

and a lot of others

Unbroken... I can't say that I actually miss them, since I'm too young, but I'd kill myself to see them live again... :(

Indian Summer, At The Drive-In, Refused.

Damn me for being so young.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #13
Sublime

Reply #14
Don't miss Guns'n'Roses. They'll be soon back ad definately as the other metal bands from the 80s and early 90s. The record stores are currently selling re-released 80s metal. There were re-releases of Guns'n'Roses, Motörhead, Vasp etc in the shelves of the local record store last Saturday. Everything else from the eighties coming back also; Lacoste, Miami Vice (Isn't your local tv-channel showing it? If not it'll be back in two years.), Boss. I'm just waiting for those neon colored clothes to come back.   

Ps. I'm completely seroius with this.

Don't miss the eighties/early nineties they'll be here before you know. The producers are also browsing through their archives. Before you know it the New Kids On The Block will be back!

Reply #15
The Smashing Pumpkins...great music
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #16
The Smiths: Morrissey and Johnny Marr have been taking defferent paths for so long. But maybe that's better this way...
Noir Désir who are from the same city as me, already and sadly (those who know what happened to their singer will easily guess why)...
Love: they played a gig in Paris last year (but not with the original line-up, only Arthur Lee was there with some young musicians) but I couldn't be there. And I doubt that will happen before soon.
The Apartments, my very personal cult band.

Edit: sorry, some dead people that I had to remove.

Reply #17
Leftfield
Genesis (wi' Gabriel)
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #18
The Smiths
Skinny Puppy
Bob Marley
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin

Or is it better that they are gone now and not morphed / degenerated into something different than what we fell in love with them for...?
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #19
Nirvana!

Reply #20
The original Black Sabbath (With Ozzy)

Great muzak.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #21
Metal bands mostly:

Emperor
In The Woods... (the live was so great)
And the most important
Faith No More

Reply #22
Alcohollica.

(Or, should I say, early Metallica?)
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #23
The Marvelous 3.

At least Butch Walker has his solo material now...

Reply #24
Here are a couple I haven't seen mentioned yet... although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. 

Moby Grape: The grape were poised to be "the next big thing" in the mid sixties. They had everything, including five brilliant musicians, all of whom could both sing and write. And what happened? They signed a managerial contract with Matthew Katz, who personally ruined more bands in the early San Franciscan scene than anyone else. Not from a dislike of the bands or their music, but from personal greed - which extended to laying claim to all the band's recordings, and even their name! After many, many prolonged legal battles with Katz, the Grape have finally reclaimed their name... but only time will tell if Katz legal hijinx have truly been laid to rest.

Captain Beefheart: Don/Van Vliet has spent the past decade low on the horizon, painting pretty pictures and dealing with multiple sclerosis. But his early sixties recordings were some of the most incendiary ever to be committed to tape. During the past year, a hodge-podge of the Captain's assorted cronies from various lineups of the Magic Band reassembled to record an album's worth of rehearsals and play some festivals... but Captain Beefheart remains as elusive and enigmatic as ever.

- M.