Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA support discussion (Read 45406 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA support discussion

Have you guys dropped WMA support? Don't see it listed on the front page. Just asking, because a lot of my files are in that format I normally use fb2k for ABX tests involving them. Thanks.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

WMA support discussion

Reply #1
Have you guys dropped WMA support? Don't see it listed on the front page. Just asking, because a lot of my files are in that format I normally use fb2k for ABX tests involving them. Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372507"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you have to wait until somebody makes a component. foobar never had native wma support

WMA support discussion

Reply #2

you have to wait until somebody makes a component. foobar never had native wma support
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372509"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It should have imo. WMA is one of the most common music filetypes. More common than other filetypes supported by default anyway, such as SVX,AIF,IFF. Might even be more common than OGG, not sure but it could be.

WMA support discussion

Reply #3
I agree oh Luna Element creator... (god!!)

WMA support discussion

Reply #4

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372509"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It should have imo. WMA is one of the most common music filetypes. More common than other filetypes supported by default anyway, such as SVX,AIF,IFF. Might even be more common than OGG, not sure but it could be.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372533"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unlike all those other formats, WMA is not open.

WMA support discussion

Reply #5
Since it has already been done for ealier version it should'nt be difficult to write one for V.9, or am I dumb ?

WMA support discussion

Reply #6
Sure, but the fb2k 0.9 SDK has only been out just now, so it may take a bit before whoever wrote the old one updates it.

WMA support discussion

Reply #7
Wasn't there a discussion at some point that the developer who wrote foo_wma for 0.8 is no longer developing for Foobar? I know I read that somewhere on these forums.

Writing a WMA input for Foobar is very straight forward, it just seems silly to reinvent the wheel since the source to a working component is out there somewhere.

WMA support discussion

Reply #8
Just FYI, conversion to WMA is possible using "Custom" commandline provided the Windows Media Encoder components are installed on the PC:

Encoder: cscript.exe
Extension: wma
Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input %s -output %d -profile a64

No tags though; any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.

WMA support discussion

Reply #10
I should have the old source code somewhere. Anyone interested can notify me

WMA support discussion

Reply #11
I should have the old source code somewhere. Anyone interested can notify me
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372831"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

send it to me please ( dimzon541 at gmail dot com )

WMA support discussion

Reply #12
I only have a few albums in WMA format but I too look forward to a component for 0.9.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

WMA support discussion

Reply #13
Me too

I have some albums in wma, and i am waiting since beta 7 to hear them again( i always was to lazy to use the old one)

looking forwarft to a port

--Ano

WMA support discussion

Reply #14
I am hoping for the plugin too since I have a few songs are in wma format.
Break The Rules!!!

WMA support discussion

Reply #15
I would like to see this plugin, but with added streaming support if possible (i know the original didnt have that)

WMA support discussion

Reply #16
I echo the sentiments expressed by others on this thread, in fact the lack of a wma plugin is the only thing keeping me from taking the plunge into 0.9.

The funny thing is that I really dislike wma, however my favorite internet radio program is streamed only as wma over mms, and rather than listen with WiMP (which I dislike even more) I record it with Netransport and listen with Foobar 0.8.3.

Lastly a big thank you to Peter & all the plugin developers for making Foobar great.  Looking forward to all the improvements of 0.9 (once we have a wma plugin  )

WMA support discussion

Reply #17
I too would really like to see WMA support.

@dimzon
Did you receive the source code, and do you think you can make the foo_wma component?

WMA support discussion

Reply #18
Why is WMA so less-appreciated?

I have all of my music in WMA. Foobar 0.8.3 was fine, 0.9 is nonsense without WMA support.

Ys,
Rozzo

WMA support discussion

Reply #19
Why is WMA so less-appreciated?

I have all of my music in WMA. Foobar 0.8.3 was fine, 0.9 is nonsense without WMA support.

Ys,
Rozzo
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376226"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

while comparable in size and quality, mp3's are the standard, and everything plays them.

not quite so with the wma's. also the wma's can have drm built into them making them impossible to use.

basicly it's just another example of microsoft not working with the industry...

(at least, that's my take on the subject)

WMA files have also been proven to rank lower than LAME MP3 in ABX blind listening tests.
-foobar2000 + Burrrn + EAC
-HD 80Gb using High QualityVBR MP3s

WMA support discussion

Reply #20
IIRC, other lossy formats also produce better quality than WMA. Also, i've seen some wma files in Shareaza which need a license to play. but that's just a way to install spyware to your comp.

in other words, WMA is crap.

WMA support discussion

Reply #21
Ability to put the files in a container with DRM isn't an arguement against a format.  You could do that with audio format.

However, overall poor performance verses MP3, worse hardware support then MP3 and lack of a reasonably open standard are all very good reasons to avoid WMA lossy.

WMA support discussion

Reply #22
It is unfortunate no one knows the status of those who claimed they may make a plugin. I would be more than happy to take foo_xm (which plays WMAs) and modify it to make a general purpose plugin, but I don't want to get some 15+ hours into the work and find it's not needed any more

WMA support discussion

Reply #24
Peter is already working on a WMA plugin, so this issue should be solved soon.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376631"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks a million!!!
Break The Rules!!!