Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wvgain.exe -- Will it complete on a corrupt WavPack file? (Read 5242 times) previous topic - next topic

wvgain.exe -- Will it complete on a corrupt WavPack file?

I currently run all three WavPack binaries during encoding and am wondering if maybe the third one isn't needed, perhaps?  Here is what I process for my encodes (in this order):
    [/li][li]wavpack.exe (encode)[/li][li]wvgain.exe (calculate and insert Replay Gain values in the tags)[/li][li]wvunpack.exe -v (to verify integrity)[/li][/list]
    I guess this is probably the most complete and thorough way to ensure my Wavpack file(s) are in good shape, but I wonder if wvgain.exe will not complete successfully on a file that is (for some reason) corrupt.  If so, technically, it is validating that the file can be read/decoded properly.  If that is the case, I can save a few moments of encoding each time by eliminating the third step and my files should be fine as long as the wvgain.exe process finished without error.

Does anyone have any experience here?

Thanks,
    Scott

Reply #1
    Hi Scott! 

I checked the code for wvgain and it will definitely return an error code if it encounters any error in decoding (including crc errors). In album mode it will terminate after the file with an error (and not write any ReplayGain info); otherwise it will process the rest of the files, but still return an error at the end of the batch.

In case you'd like to experiment with this, I am attaching a WavPack file that contains 4 errors that I use for my testing.

David

Reply #2
    I checked the code for wvgain and it will definitely return an error code if it encounters any error in decoding (including crc errors). In album mode it will terminate after the file with an error (and not write any ReplayGain info); otherwise it will process the rest of the files, but still return an error at the end of the batch.

Excellent - I figured this may be the case.  Thanks for checking and getting back to me so quickly!

In case you'd like to experiment with this, I am attaching a WavPack file that contains 4 errors that I use for my testing.

This will be useful - I will try it out and save it for future testing as well.

Thanks for the help, David.  You are always great to work with!

Scott