Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: v1.4 grows in memory usage up to 2.5 GB and then crashes on exit (Read 2231 times) previous topic - next topic

v1.4 grows in memory usage up to 2.5 GB and then crashes on exit

Hello, the new v1.4 was looking working better than v1.3 with my large library.
However, today I added 4 albums and Foobar v1.4 crashes again.
Memory usage grows up to approximately 2.5 GB (I am running it on Win7 32bit).

In the past, for v1.3, I got some tips on reducing library idexing, but it looks no more functioning under v1.4.

Any way to reduce the memory usage?

Thanks and regards,
Andrea

Re: v1.4 grows in memory usage up to 2.5 GB and then crashes on exit

Reply #1
Strange, I am on Win 7, 32 bit too. With a 490GB library and running foobar2000 for over 6 hours now, it takes 253.920 K

Reply #2
Are you sure it is not caused by some component?
Try removing all components and then add them one by one until the leak starts again.

Reply #3
Also try with a portable clean install. And knowing more about your library (how many files etc) would be useful too. You might have told us about it in another topic, but not this one.

Reply #4
Hello all, thanks but I know the problem is not in a component, it is the size of my library of live recording I took over a life.
I have over 15TB of music organized in 6000+ directories.
In the past I managed the problem via LargeFieldsConfig.txt, but it looks not anymore working as expected.
I also suggested/asked many times to move to a SQL based library, but... nothing...
Thanks and regards,
Andrea

Reply #5
Hello all, thanks but I know the problem is not in a component, it is the size of my library of live recording I took over a life.
I have over 15TB of music organized in 6000+ directories.

Are you using DUI/basic themes?

I recently did a clean install as I was having memory (DUI/2TB/250K files using over 1.5GB memory) and responsiveness problems. I tried using the same library with CUI themes overtime and it never worked.

In particular, I've been updating the same app install since .9 and frequently tweaking the UI with different scripts and components over they years. I did a fresh portable 1.4, cut WSH and JS panels used for library navigation and went back to Facets/SimPlaylist. My setup is still visually heavy, but it's running smoothly currently at 298mb!

Another option depending on your Library structure and needs could be to run multiple versions of FB?

I use one for music and another for non-musical audio files. It was a difficult choice at first, but has made a lot of sense over time as each have different UI requirements.

Reply #6
To clarify one thing: The disk size of the library is completely irrelevant. Relevant is the number of tracks in the library plus the number of tracks in all playlists multiplied with the size of the tags for each track.

Reply #7
Hello All, I had a lucky-strike and I found-out a solution!

From the file "LargeFieldsConfig.txt" I removed all the entries related to "fieldSpam":

# List of spam meta fields - rarely useful stuff that *never* gets cached
fieldSpam=accurate rip
fieldSpam=aucdtect
fieldSpam=biography
fieldSpam=cuesheet
fieldSpam=eac logfile
fieldSpam=itunes_cddb_1
fieldSpam=itunmovi
fieldSpam=log
fieldSpam=logfile
fieldSpam=lyrics
fieldSpam=unsynced lyrics

Deleting all these, by magic, the memory usage dropped below 1.5GB, so, low enough for avoiding the continuous crashes I had.

I would take this as an opportunity for inviting the developers to give me/us an explanation, because this "behavior" is not really explained anywhere and nobody suggest it as a possible solution.

Kind regards to all
Andrea

Reply #8
It was not suggested because that is the exact opposite of what should happen. Marking a field as spam should keep its contents out of memory and thus reduce memory usage.

Reply #9
Hi Case, I know you are a lot more expert than me, but I can guaranty you that with Foobar v1.4 this is so.
Last year I was one of the first notifying that by v1.3.6 (or so) the LargeFieldsConfig.txt options were not managed correctly.
I see now that in the change-log of the new beta 1.4.1 there is written "Made Media Library respect 'include hidden files & folders' setting in Advanced Preferences", it may be this could be something related. I will try the new 1.4.1 asap.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #10
It could be that LargeFieldsConfig stuff is having the opposite effect: some component does its own info reads in response to the fact that the available cached info is flagged as partial.

It would be most helpful if you could pack your foobar2000 profile folder and send it over to me for analysis. I should be able to help with it then.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #11
Hello Peter, the ZIP file of both Program Files folder and Roaming folder is about 350MB.
I can give a look to reduce its size by removing the library data, but I don't know if you need those.

Please, kindly let me know if need all or if I can remove the library dBase.
And also give me instruction on how to give to you such a kind of big ZIP file.

Thanks and regards,
Andrea

Reply #12
Hello All, ... just to inform you that the new v1.4.1 beta 2 works better than the v1.4 and, with exactly the same last configuration, the memory usage is of only 950MB.
So, resuming, v1.4, changing the LargeFieldsConfig removing the spam fields, I was able to reduce memory usage from 2.5+GB to about 1.3GB, and now, with the 1.4.1 beta 2, it went further down to 950MB.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #13
Glad to hear that it's better now. I could not recreate the memory usage creep with your config - possibly because foobar2000 running on my machine has no access to actual files in your music library.

Large memory usage with such large library is unfortunately to be expected. However, some component might be making things worse by adding its own per-library-track memory usage. If making LargeFieldsConfig stricter causes even more resource usage, some component could be demanding to see the full info and loading the information from the files directly bypassing the cache.

I recommend temporarily disabling the components one by one to see if you can find the culprit - if the bug occurs again.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #14
Thanks, Peter, for the tips. However, having being able so far to reduce the memory usage from over 2.5GB to below 1GB, it is enough for me and I can well use it as-is.
Many thanks again and kind regards,
Andrea

Reply #15
You would help others if you found a component that is reponsible for the behavior. I somehow recall you aren't the only one who has had so high memory usage that things have crashed.

Reply #16
Hello Case, I understand now, OK, I will do.
Please, just help me driving my attention to the right activities of your interest.
Have I to remove one by one the components I have under the "Installed Components" or within the "Active DSPs" chain?
Thanks and regards, Andrea

Reply #17
Under installed components.