Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about different audio players. (Read 4409 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about different audio players.

Hi,
You probably have heard this before but it was new to me.
I use a pc w/XP Home. Everything is up to date.
Silly Old Man just bought me Tony Bennett's Duets. I ripped it to iTunes 7.01 in wav format. When I played the songs I didn't like the music sounded-rather harsh or shrill.
Ripped the same cd into WMP11/Urge. Again, lossless. Sounded decidedly better.
On both iTunes and WMP11 I had the equalizer set flat.
Does it make sense that the player could make a noticeable difference?

Another question is this-when I listen to my pc music through my main stereo system, 2 channel, does it make a difference what brand my sound card is? I'm just running a mini plug and cable to the rear of my stereo.
The stereo is a Panasonic digital a few years old.
Should the stereo treble and bass controls be flat too? Where is the real control coming from?
Hope somebody has some info. I'd like to learn.
Thanks,
Diana

Reply #1
By any chance was this CD made in the early '80s? Some CDs of that period had pre-emphasis, but not all rippers handle this correctly. The result would be overemphasized high prequencies if the ripper does not de-emphasize the data correctly.

Reply #2
If he ripped to WAV, it must sound the same as the original CD.

Reply #3
How does it sound when you play the iTunes wav files in WMP? There might be some other settings influencing the sound. Sound check or something like that.
--
Eric

Reply #4
Hi,
You probably have heard this before but it was new to me.
I use a pc w/XP Home. Everything is up to date.
Silly Old Man just bought me Tony Bennett's Duets. I ripped it to iTunes 7.01 in wav format. When I played the songs I didn't like the music sounded-rather harsh or shrill.
Ripped the same cd into WMP11/Urge. Again, lossless. Sounded decidedly better.
On both iTunes and WMP11 I had the equalizer set flat.
Does it make sense that the player could make a noticeable difference?

I used to notice the same thing with WMP vs. other audio players. It has to do with audio processing enhancements built in to WMP. Just ensure that they're all OFF (SRS, Equalizer, etc.), and not just flat. For iTunes, turn the equalizer off also, and also any other sound enhancements therein (I'm not that familiar with iTunes' settings there). The track should sound the same in both players when you play it then.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #5
Thanks for your replies.
The CD was just released. It sounds better in WMP11 than in iTunes.
The settings are the same. Both equalizers set to flat.
No boost or wow in WMP.
That's why I'm curious.
Does it make sense that on the same pc with the same CD there is a noticeable difference in the way the music sounds?
I haven't noticed this before, However, I've just recently started using iTunes.

And when I listen to music from the pc on my stereo, who rules? The sound card in the pc or the home stereo?
Thanks,
Diana

Reply #6
Is it a HDCD?

Reply #7
Hi,
No. It's just a regular stereo cd.
Sounds fine in WMP11 and on an old Bose radio/cd player.
I don't have a clue what's up.
Diana

Reply #8
Most probably placebo effect

Reply #9
A better question would be why in the world are you using iTunes or WMP in the first place?

And an even better question---why WAV? If you really really have to have lossless (you could be a professional studio worker for all we know), then at least put it in FLAC or APE, you'll save yourself a few hundred megabytes.