Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4.2 released (Read 70482 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #100
Thanks for mentioning it! I just added it to the Wiki.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #101
I updated "Software support" at Wikipedia's WavPack article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavpack
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #102
I updated "Software support" at Wikipedia's WavPack article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavpack
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313133"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just some notes:
- from version 1.53a the WavPack decoding is linked into the exe, so we don't need external DLL
- Mpxplay plays other audio files and containers too: AAC,AC3,APE,AVI,DTS,FLAC,MP2,MP3,MP4/M4A,MPC,OGG,WAV,WMA

thnx anyway
Attila

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #103
That's great news. Thank-you very much, Mr. Padara.

I was wondering, could you possibly provide an OpenWatcom makefile for wavpack and wvunpack? Or maybe some precompiled binaries? I would love to host WavPack for DOS at RareWares.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #104
That's great news. Thank-you very much, Mr. Padara.

I was wondering, could you possibly provide an OpenWatcom makefile for wavpack and wvunpack? Or maybe some precompiled binaries? I would love to host WavPack for DOS at RareWares.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330462"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use the tiny WavPack decoder source (wvfilter) in Mpxplay and it needs some modifications to work with Watcom (and some others to work with Mpxplay: the original decoder is not re-entrant).
I'll also test/check the wvpack and wvunpack and then I'll see what can I do for you. Maybe a makefile is not enough (requires an DPMI extender too), if I have to modify the source then I cannot promise too much...

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #105
I'll also test/check the wvpack and wvunpack and then I'll see what can I do for you. Maybe a makefile is not enough (requires an DPMI extender too), if I have to modify the source then I cannot promise too much...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330481"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's OK. Thank-you very much anyway

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #106
So, no real problems with either Solaris or NetBSD - all user error. I'm going back under my rock for now. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290087"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, please don't.  You can share your knowledge:

OK - Solaris build problems have been fixed. There was a problem in the libtool/automake setup where the libtool .m4 files were not installed into the proper location. wavpack now compiles and runs fine.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290052"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On a completely different setup; RedHat 7.1 Linux 2.4.12 I get the same error:

Code: [Select]
%automake --add-missing
Makefile.am:4: library used but `LIBTOOL' not defined in `configure.in'

How did you fix this? I don't seem to find the right place for aclocal.m4, which is the only .m4 generated by libtoolize --copy on this setup?

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #107
Since then I have tried a different approach. I tried all servers I had access to and compiled the package statically. The HP TestDrive servers had all the libraries needed. I used a dual P3 server, a configure and make followed by:
Code: [Select]
gcc -static -O2 -o wavpack wavpack-wavpack.o -lcurses ./.libs/libwavpack.a -lm
gcc -static -O2 -o wvunpack wvunpack-wvunpack.o -lcurses ./.libs/libwavpack.a -lm
did the trick. The static compiles are only 626kB and 610kB, and they should work on Linuxes of many flavours.

If someone is having similar problems on an old Linux box, with glibc 2.2.x, a static compile on a remote server with glibc 2.3 might help.

Edit: This was accomplished using the 4.3 source.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #108
Sorry for the slow replay!
The earlier version of WavPack encoder didn't want to work at me, but yesterday I've successfully compiled the WV v4.31 source with the OpenWatcom 1.3 for DOS and I've put the result here:

executables: http://www.mpxplay.net/wavpack/WVDOS431.ZIP
the modified source:http://www.mpxplay.net/wavpack/WVSRC431.ZIP
(maybe the author of WavPack can add my modifications to the official source release(s) too)

I haven't tested the exes too much, let me know if something wrong.

Please make a copy to your site, don't use link to these files directly, because maybe later I'll delete them (when I'll make a WV output plugin for Mpxplay)...

regards
Attila

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #109
Sorry for the slow replay!
The earlier version of WavPack encoder didn't want to work at me, but yesterday I've successfully compiled the WV v4.31 source with the OpenWatcom 1.3 for DOS

Shite, I didn't see this post before!

Thank-you very much, Mr. Padar. I'll upload those to RareWares today.

Edit: damn, the files aren't there anymore

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #111
hy.
is there any .dll for using the new version with Easy Cd-Da Extractor?
Thank you

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #113
Seems Quintessential got a plugin. For WavePack, though....

Considering the date that plugin was added (September 2003) I would guess it won't support WavPack4 files. Unless that is the date the entry was created and the author later updated his code...

Did anyone test it?

It got updated this February, this version works with WavPack 4.3 files (APE tags are apparently only supported in the QMP dev builds though).

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #114
Thanks, I already downloaded it and will upload it to RareWares soon. You can delete it now if you want...

I can't seem to locate those packages on RW... did you forget to upload?

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #115
I can't seem to locate those packages on RW... did you forget to upload?

I talked to David recently, and he mentioned he was concerned there would be several issues in a DOS port of WavPack, specially in the high modes.

I didn't have time yet to test them myself either. If I host the binaries, I'll probably put a big warning about them being experimental.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #116
I talked to David recently, and he mentioned he was concerned there would be several issues in a DOS port of WavPack, specially in the high modes.

I didn't have time yet to test them myself either. If I host the binaries, I'll probably put a big warning about them being experimental.

If the decoder works and produce working wavfiles it's hopefully useful and kind of safe. The encoder is probably more of a question and should require extensive testing to be declared "safe".... But hosting them with a "experimental, possibly not safe" tag should be ok, I would think.....

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #117

I just wonder, why do he think this?

I don't think so that DOS causes problems, rather the Watcom compiler.
(ie: the LAME encoder is much slower compiled with Watcom than with MSVC)

btw. now I've made an output plugin for Mpxplay too, and I've made some test encodings with it
in high and extra modes too (encoding, decoding, binary comparing), but I didn't see any bugs
(but it's true that I haven't tested it on thousand of different files)...

Attila

ps. the WavPack DOS encoder (and the output plugin)  is still here:
http://www.freewebtown.com/mpxplay

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #118
I just wonder, why do he think this?

He was afraid the extra modes (and not high modes - my mistake) would run out of memory. He didn't know you were using dos32a.

Now he just has some minor concerns about an issue with wildcards - IIRC - and such. Anyway, he gave me the go-ahead, and I'll see if I can upload it to RW this weekend.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #119
He was afraid the extra modes (and not high modes - my mistake) would run out of memory. He didn't know you were using dos32a.

I see.

Can we (or the author) know what is the memory requirements of the extra modes?
The sent/uploaded Wvpack uses DOS32a with 256mb memory limit (if I remember well).
But the plugin for Mpxplay requires the DOS/4G version of Mpxplay, and the DOS/4G
extender has a 64mb (or 32?) memory limit...

Attila

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #120
The sent/uploaded Wvpack uses DOS32a with 256mb memory limit (if I remember well).
But the plugin for Mpxplay requires the DOS/4G version of Mpxplay, and the DOS/4G

DOS/32a is limited to XMS's limit - 2GB.

The free versions of DOS/4G are limited to 32mb

But that's surely plenty. David was worried about real mode's limitation to 640k - which would be enough for non-extra modes anyway!

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #121

I see.

Attila

As Roberto said, I wasn't originally aware that this was using an extender. The "extra" modes use a lot of memory, but probably no where near even 16 mb, and probably a lot less than that.

I did run into a couple other things when I tried this, however. The first was that it seems to be using the "linux" command-line syntax with the -o option for specifying output name/folder. I'm not sure this was on purpose or just because WIN32 was not defined, but it seems to me that following the Windows syntax makes more sense for a DOS version. This assumes that wildcards are not being expanded by the shell (via the extender) which is why I had to go to a different format for Linux. Also, I had trouble doing wildcard operations in other folders; I suspect this might be pathname differences in utils.c because of the WIN32 not being defined.

A more serious problem I ran into was whenever I got the "Overwrite (yes/no/all)?" message the program would not accept a response and would instead do a crash that required a hard reboot. 

Other than those two things, I was pleasantly surprised with this and really appreciate you taking the time to make it available. Thanks! 

David

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #122
It seems I haven't spent enough time with the testing...
Thnx, I will check and correct these bugs asap.
(and yes, usually I've followed the WIN32 defs, maybe I've missed some of them  )

The older DOS/4GW can handle 32mb only, maybe the newer DOS/4G 2.xx series can handle more.
And I've limited/configured the used DOS32a extender to 256Mb, because else (using 2G limit) it eats too much conventional memory (more than 400k), but maybe it's problem with Mpxplay only (uses conv mem for some funtions).

regards
Attila

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #123
Ok, it's corrected and updated. You can find it on my page (http://www.freewebtown.com/mpxplay)

changelog:
removed: -o option (for Win32 (non-Linux) compatibility)
fixed: -t option
fixed: "overwrite (yes/no/all)" handling
fixed: filenames in subdirs (subdir\*.wav)
fixed: -u option
fixed: native UTF8 encoding (at -w)

btw. these bugs didn't hurt the quality of the encoded WV files, just the functionality of the program was not complete...

A.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #124
Ok, it's corrected and updated. You can find it on my page (http://www.freewebtown.com/mpxplay)

changelog:
removed: -o option (for Win32 (non-Linux) compatibility)
fixed: -t option
fixed: "overwrite (yes/no/all)" handling
fixed: filenames in subdirs (subdir\*.wav)
fixed: -u option
fixed: native UTF8 encoding (at -w)

btw. these bugs didn't hurt the quality of the encoded WV files, just the functionality of the program was not complete...

A.

Hi again, and thanks for working on this again. I've downloaded it and I'll test it out in the next couple days and let you know. Sorry for the delay, I've been a little swamped...