Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cold & harsh audio decay using HDMI - need solution (Read 2813 times) previous topic - next topic

Cold & harsh audio decay using HDMI - need solution

Theres probably nothing I can do about this and my amplifier is at fault with its DAC being low quality but the issue is the decay on every sound using hdmi on the STR DA2400es (very good amp for analog multi channel in), it just sounds unnatural and harsh.. like for a window smashing it just sounds nasty.

What i'm thinking is for my s/pdif output Windows has a "enhancement" called loudness equalization which definitely affected the decay of the audio, so i'm hoping there is a plugin for foobar or even using equalizer apo for windows to get a similar editable sound effect to adjust the decay. Seems to me like loudeness equalization reduces or lengthens the decay of sounds. Please, if you can, take a listen to it and adjust it - hope everyone else comes up with the same thoughts i have about it  ::)

This is all just interim until my AE-9 gets returned to me but the sound is horrible imo.. when you notice it you just cannot get it out of your head  :D , pretty sure its all down to the internal DAC of the 2400es, as I say when using the AE-9 to pass analog to the 2400 it sounds supreme.. I can't really pick many errors, it does sound warmer and less cold to my ears. Of course, i'm open to suggestions and advice, i'm probably overlooking something obvious but main purpose of this post is to find a similar audio "effect" to loudness equalization that windows has for every output but my hdmi output.

Re: Cold & harsh audio decay using HDMI - need solution

Reply #1
You should blind test it.

(Is there a problem on less than full volume? If not, then you have likely driven it into digital clipping.)

Reply #2
Didn't realise digital could clip, thought it was meant to be set at 100% volume and left.. for the ae-9 it's best to sit around 40% volume but i'm going to test it, it could also be the DAC is old by now as well, had it for about 3 years and 2nd hand. I'm expecting to have to pay around a 1,000 for a decent amp that does the same which i'd rather not do if i can help it...

Reply #3
yea listened to "you'll never walk alone" at 40% volume and I know exactly how that sounds through the ae-9, i'm a singer regardless of how good i am so i listen for vocals mainly and its definitely cold, harsh and lifeless. Maybe not lifeless, might be a long shot but when the decay is bad, it just sounds bad. Sounds electronic, rather than natural.

Reply #5
@L1Qu1D666 is probably a troll.  He's only made 3 posts and all of them are in this topic.

Reply #6
Just wondering if you brought this amp new or second hand?

Could it have already been calibrated?

The amp has 4 calibration settings
FULL FLAT Makes the measurement of frequency from each speaker flat.
ENGINEER Sets the frequency characteristics to a set that matches that of the Sony listening room standard.
FRONT REF Adjusts the characteristics of all the speakers to match the characteristics of the front speaker.
OFF Set the Auto Calibration EQ to off.

Check out the manual page 113 - 114.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #7
@Porcus i'll do that but can definitely hear the difference, i've also had an MAudio Air 192 4 in the past and that did sound really awesome in a different way to the ae-9, M Audio having a very pure and luscious sound but the ae-9 having a more natural and relaxed presentation. I'll get an ifi hipdac soon.

@Chibisteven thanks for the thoughts but i made this account to ask about this. I've spent a lot on my wires for the analog 5.1 and i'm surprised you don't think it would sound different and theirs a chance the DAC could be fked on the amp. The end of the day, the speakers are analog so the HDMI signal needs converted before it hits the speakers.

@A_Man_Eating_Duck yes, i bought the calibration mic for it and it does not affect what i'm talking about afaik the calibration adjusts speakers for the room but this is definitely errors in the chain somewhere but yep calibrated it before and haven't switched the position of the speakers, i like the front ref.

Reply #9
I'm talking about something subjective, i'm not trying to prove anything. Its my system and it does not sound how it did before and it don't matter if i listen to it every day or not because i have an idea of what it needs and thats what I outlined in the first post but of course i'm open to advice. It doesn't mean the information i give on my system is accurate to your ears.

Either way, i accepted your suggestion and said I will buy a DAC soon to do a blind listening test.

Reply #10
No, test this claim:
pretty sure its all down to the internal DAC of the 2400es, as I say when using the AE-9 to pass analog to the 2400 it sounds supreme..

Level match them and have someone do a blind test. You might be surprised.

Reply #11
@Chibisteven thanks for the thoughts but i made this account to ask about this. I've spent a lot on my wires for the analog 5.1 and i'm surprised you don't think it would sound different and theirs a chance the DAC could be fked on the amp. The end of the day, the speakers are analog so the HDMI signal needs converted before it hits the speakers.

It's possible for the DAC itself to go bad but other parts of the chain such as op amps, capacitors, and resistors can also go bad especially some electrolyte capacitors.  I've seen devices that are 30 years in age where the DACs, op amps, resistors and such where all fine but the electrolyte capacitors needed replacement.  DAC chips themselves rarely ever need replacement because they rarely go bad.

What you're posting is subjective and I'm being objective here.

How much did you spend on the wires for your setup?  A good wire should never ever cost both arms, legs, and all internal organs.