Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anyone knowledge of a good multichannel encoding filter? (Read 7213 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone knowledge of a good multichannel encoding filter?

Hi, hoping someone can help out here, I am trying to upmix the stereo sound of my Sky Tv satelite box connected to my pc using Graphedit however the filter Aud-X gives a delay of a few seconds. Anyone know of a better encoder to deal with live content such as this?

Reply #1
You can try with ffdshow's mixer feature in graphedit or SRS Audio Sandbox.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #2
You can try with ffdshow's mixer feature in graphedit or SRS Audio Sandbox.

thanks for the repy! SRS worked ok but as many people found it crashed after usage, must be my realtek audio drivers perhaps as others have suggested. As for ffdshows mixer, it seems whichever I use there is a delay, is there certain filters which eliminate this?

Reply #3
A minimal delay is to be expected, depending on your PC's processing power, do to the need to process the sound, but for anything above a P4 or AMD Athlon XP, there should be in the range of miliseconds, instead of very noticeable as you're experiencing.
And as were talking about live line-in feed, the dealy feature in ffdshow won't work (it's only useful for files already on your drive).

I'm sure the Audio Sandbox would work well if not use inside Graphedit, I use it and never had a problem. Is graphedit a requirement or just a way you use to get the upmixing done?
I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS, not onboard audio, so I couldn't tell you if it'll always happen with realtek drivers.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #4
A minimal delay is to be expected, depending on your PC's processing power, do to the need to process the sound, but for anything above a P4 or AMD Athlon XP, there should be in the range of miliseconds, instead of very noticeable as you're experiencing.
And as were talking about live line-in feed, the dealy feature in ffdshow won't work (it's only useful for files already on your drive).

I'm sure the Audio Sandbox would work well if not use inside Graphedit, I use it and never had a problem. Is graphedit a requirement or just a way you use to get the upmixing done?
I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS, not onboard audio, so I couldn't tell you if it'll always happen with realtek drivers.

Yeah I can understand a delay however I'm running intel dual core 3.4ghz each and so processing power shouldn't be an issue. As for graphedit being a requirement, it is so far apart from SRS audio sandbox, the only piece of software that has allowed me to listen to line-in and add a good upmix to the stereo source. Winamp allowed me to listen to it, but had no decent upmix. Foobar was basically the same (using older versions). Seems whichever filter I use I get a delay! hmmm......

Reply #5
Hmm... the delay maybe comes from other source than filter ... meaning from input/output buffers. If your software does not have option for to set I/O buffers (latency) then I suggest to try ASIO drivers with say 2 - 10 ms latency settings (many of those software which SRS supports are ASIO compatible either through DSP output plug-in or natively). For integrated sound chip there is the Asio4All driver which should work in this as well.

There are also similiar upmixing software as VST/DX Plug-In (search from effects) ... by using ASIO/VST compatible software (lets say, Hermann Seib's VSTHost or SAVIHost) for input/output the audio from satellite TV box through ASIO (asio4all) to your hometheater system would be the straightest path for audio data (no additional delay).

Juha