Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Music CRC - Corrupted !?!?!! (Read 3661 times) previous topic - next topic

Music CRC - Corrupted !?!?!!

recently. i've downloaded full albums encoded with lame 3.91 ( verified with Encspot 2 ). when i check the lame tag. it says that the music crc is corrupted. i wonder what's wrong with the mp3s, since encspot says that there are no bad last frames ??? ???

the screenshot is at ---> http://www.geocities.com/lzy1235/index.html

Reply #1
Maybe mp3gain has been used on them?

Reply #2
thanks.

hmmm......one thing to add. the mp3 with the "corrupted" crc is softer than another of the same song that's encoded to 256cbr with lame 3.91

i am wondering if i should delete the 256kb/s cbr version

Reply #3
CRC is a checksum of the whole file. It doesn't necessarily mean that the last frame is broken if it is corrupt. There can also be wrong bits at the beginning or in the middle of the file.

When it sounds softer, it could be something with mp3gain. Otherwise it shouldnt alter the sound (when compared to the same encoder with the same settings of course).

Reply #4
hey ! ErikS, you're right!  i went to ask the guy and he said he did use mp3gain on the files. Now, the last thing i want to know is.........will the mp3 quailty be compromised with the use of mp3gain ? ( i want to make sure ) Thanks in advance!

Reply #5
No.
mp3gain is used to avoid clipping and can therefore be better.
The volume might have been lowered a little though.

Reply #6
Originally posted by geckolizard
hey ! ErikS, you're right!  i went to ask the guy and he said he did use mp3gain on the files. Now, the last thing i want to know is.........will the mp3 quailty be compromised with the use of mp3gain ? ( i want to make sure ) Thanks in advance! 

No, but the use of crc may. So tell your friend to stop using it.

Ok, I never heard any difference myself, but theoretically crc lower the quality since it is totally useless and leaves less bitrate for the real content.

Reply #7
( heaves a sigh of relief ) thanks! man...you people are fast to respond;)

Reply #8
I hope you understood it this way:

yes to using mp3gain
no to using CRC-check

not the other way around (I just thought it might looked confusing in this thread).