Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Equalizing headphones, with binaural microphones? (Read 1536 times) previous topic - next topic

Equalizing headphones, with binaural microphones?

About 3 weeks ago I started experimenting with binaural microphones that are placed at the ear canal. Of course, these are meant to create binaural recordings to play back on headphones, however I found a second use for them. I posted what I did here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/829549/equalizing-headphones-to-your-ears-with-in-ear-binaural-microphones

Essentially, I took measurements of my headphones in order to get their frequency response using Room EQ Wizard. Then, I equalized their response to match a typical speaker target curve.

So, my question, is my little experiment here an effective way of EQing properly? The frequency response the microphones are picking up are right at the entrance of the ear canal, and I know many measurement dummy heads have microphones inside of the ear canal where the eardrum would be. What I'm hearing sounds pretty good with the headphones I have, but I would like feedback anyway.

Re: Equalizing headphones, with binaural microphones?

Reply #1
That's reasonable if the microphones are accurate and calibrated.    But, headphone measurements are a bit tricky and if the headphones are reasonably good I'd start with the assumption are about as good as the microphones.

So, my question, is my little experiment here an effective way of EQing properly?
I wouldn't EQ headphones unless you're not happy with the sound.   If you feel there's "something wrong", or if you just have a preference for more bass or more highs, etc., adjust by ear.

Then, I equalized their response to match a typical speaker target curve.
If you're not shooting for flatness/accuracy, why not just adjust to your taste?

What I'm hearing sounds pretty good with the headphones I have
If you're happy with the results that's the important thing.     I wouldn't worry too much about "accuracy" unless you are mixing/mastering binaural recordings.   And in that case, it's probably safer to just get a good pair of headphones for your "standard".    (And if you're mixing/mastering regular recordings, headphones shouldn't be your primary monitors anyway.)