Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Request: Add native support for INITIAL KEY / TKEY field (Read 4042 times) previous topic - next topic

Request: Add native support for INITIAL KEY / TKEY field

Hi,

I am absolutely desperate for this to be included as storing the key results for my tracks is really important to me as an (amateur) DJ.

It's in the v2.3 and v2.4 spec as 'TKEY' but it shows in the playlist as a question mark.

I've tried APE tags and as a work-around it works but APE tags (with album art) aren't supported by Native Instruments Traktor Pro or my mobile phone so using APE tags are not a realistic option for me.

I've been hoping for so long support for it would be added but it never came.  I promise make a £30 donation if this feature can be added as it's the only thing stopping me from using foobar to manage my collection for DJing.

Is it possible support for this field to be added? Please!!

Thanks,
Paul

Reply #1
By definition in the standards that field comes with a predefined sets of values. Therefore that field belong to that group of fields that is not supported by foobar2000. Another example is the TLAN field - foobar2000 stores <LANGUAGE> instead of that in a TXXX-frame.

Reply #2
Therefore that field belong to that group of fields that is not supported by foobar2000.

Did you conclude that only by looking at id3 home page?

Reply #3
No, it was mentioned here. perhaps somebody is able to bring a quote. however, it is a fact that these fields are not supported

Reply #4
By definition in the standards that field comes with a predefined sets of values. Therefore that field belong to that group of fields that is not supported by foobar2000. Another example is the TLAN field - foobar2000 stores <LANGUAGE> instead of that in a TXXX-frame.

Is there any chance of foobar support fields with predefined sets of values do you think?

I have two other apps, Mixed In Key and Traktor Pro.  Mixed In Key scans my files and stores the result in the TKEY field whereas Traktor Pro displays the key result alongside the currently playing tracks so I really could use this functionality being added to foobar.  Traktor's own collection viewer is far inferior to that of foobars which can be completely customized, as we all know, that's why I wanted to use foobar as the management of my tracks.

I guess the only other option would be to have Mixed In Key store the key result in the only other field it exports key results to which is the %comments% field and have Traktor display that instead.  Obviously this brings with it it's own disadvantages in that I will no longer be able to use %comments% to actually store comments in.  Another alternative is for me to use MusicBee instead which allows key results to be displayed.

Reply #5
Add Virtual DJ and the Pioneer Recordbox software to that list.

These programs will also allow use of the Camelot Notation (1A, 1B, 2A, 2B...) in the TKEY (InitialKey) field. Although this is not following standard specs, it seems the whole electronic music community is using this way to tag their files.

This feature, native or via plugin, together with the Waveform Seekbar plugin (which rocks!) would make foobar the ultimate tool for managing electronic music.

Reply #6
It's obvious this facility will never be added to foobar. That's the reason I switched to MusicBee a while ago.

Foobar has been good to me in the past but MusicBee's native support for initial keys + auto-updating playlists = comfortable winner in my eyes.

Reply #7
Is is please possible to support TKEY "Initial Key" in the next release - 1.2.7?

I think it is not really difficult to add a new simple column.

A lot of software supports it in the meantime - as listed above - including:

Tag & Rename
Serato Scratch Live
rekordbox
Keyfinder

THANKS A LOT!

---

KeyFinder is a great tool and also auto-updates it in WAV files! (but be careful, version 1.17 for Windows only writes ID3v2.3 - and would remove ID3v2.4 tags!, when 1.18 is available - 2.4 tags will not removed!).

So run it BEFORE you update all other columns - or run it via file rename and then import it from there.