Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping scratched CDs with EAC (Read 2746 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping scratched CDs with EAC

I almost finished ripping my CD collection with EAC, ensured accurate rips using accuraterip and test/copy, but I'm stuck with a lot of problematic discs.

I have a LiteOn LTR-48246S and a Plextor PX-716AL at my service.

I set error recovery to "High", unset "Drive reads into lead-in/out" and sets the drive speed to 4x. I use Accurate Stream with the "Drive caches audio" ticked. This helps reading these discs alot, but I still have a few trouble discs.

I miss being able to set the error recovery even higher, because most errors fill out the entire field (without failing).

My experience with Paranoid Secure mode, are that most tracks passes, but with different CRC's - But I'm unsure if it was without Caching disabled

1. Are there anything I could do to help reading my discs error-free?
2. Which process will give me a jitter-less rip: Accurate w/C2, Paranoid (with cache enabled to be able to rip the track), or just Sync insecure mode?
3. What are the difference between Read Error and Sync Error?
4. Does DBpoweramp ripper have any advantage prior to EAC to rip these discs?
5. If I'm buying a new drive, which drive(s) are a superior to my drives (and cheaper than Plexter Premium)?

I know that CD's with label-scratches would probably never be ripped correctly and plastic-side scratches can be repaired using a DiscDr, but please keep this thread to suggestions on a hard-/software basis.

Thanks in advance
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P