Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: question about LAME and commands (Read 6994 times) previous topic - next topic

question about LAME and commands

Hello, I'm using foobar to convert FLAC to mp3, mainly for the use of SoX resampler, but I do have a question about the Y switch, I've read that it's better to use it on V 0, and since my FLACS are HiRes vinyl rips (24/96-192) I do have a question if I'm using this code correctly inside the Custom encoder settings within foobar.

I choose Lame.exe which I downloaded from SourceForge, so, here's the code

-S --preset insane --noreplaygain -V 0 -Y --lowpass -1 - %d

in resampler settings I choose SoX to resample to 44100 kHz

I've been trying various commands and they all give me different sizes, let alone spectograms

I want to get the highest quality possible, without artifacts, can somebody orient me? A 843 MB album gives me a 81.9 MB size with the settings above. Is the -Y switch necessary? I've read this:
"

The Y switch prevents global gain quantization from being decreased solely to accommodate the needs of sfb21.
"

So what settings should I use to maintain the highest quality? Let me note that this mp3 is for playback and portable playback.

Cheers and thank you.

Re: question about LAME and commands

Reply #1
Regarding the -Y switch, preset insane is 320 CBR:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=LAME_Y_switch#The_-Y_switch_and_CBR.2FABR

Also, --lowpass -1 makes no sense to me.

If you want to make use of the VBR algorithm and impose a minimum bitrate of 320 kbits just use:
-V0 -b320 --noreplaygain

Reply #2
Regarding the -Y switch, preset insane is 320 CBR:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=LAME_Y_switch#The_-Y_switch_and_CBR.2FABR

Also, --lowpass -1 makes no sense to me.

thank you for your response, I mainly got my info from here:
sound.stackexchange.com/questions/38109/lame-why-is-a-lowpass-filter-used-with-preset-insane

and regarding the lowpass -1, if I use it, when I right click the file to check encoder settings, I do not see the -lowpass 22.1 activated, contrary to see it when I don't use that command, it displays this with the settings I'm using

"-m j -V 0 -q 0 --vbr-new -b 32", from MediaInfo v0.7.90

If I play with different commands it sometimes show -lowpass 22.1

So what do you recommend me to use?

Reply #3
So what do you recommend me to use?
Unless you can demonstrate that you can tell the difference through ABX testing:
-V2 --noreplaygain