Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Samples for clipped and declipped material (Read 3655 times) previous topic - next topic

Samples for clipped and declipped material

As shown in this thread, the DeClipper process from iZotope RX could be a good method for declipping distorted digital material. Here I offer you two snippets: the song "Otherside" from Red Hot Chili Peppers and the song "Hollywood" from Madonna. Both contain high amounts of digital clipping.

In everyone of those two archives you´ll find two examples of the same snippet: one processed with the DeClipper, the other one simply reduced in volume by the same amount as the declipped file. So you´ll be able to ABX them and see if this method could be useful until we get remastered releases without loudness war effects. Please note: I did it "quick and dirty", I processed the files in 32 Bit floating point but saved them as 16 Bit without dithering or fading. I didn´t want dithering to colour the sound.

File 1: [attachment=5195:RedHotCh...therside.rar]
File 2: [attachment=5196:Madonna_...ollywood.rar]
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Samples for clipped and declipped material

Reply #1
Here are some samples I dared to remaster myself after I declipped them. Anthony Kiedis still sounds a bit ill - but that was the best I could do in short time. I used iZotope Ozones´ Paragraphic EQ (Hybrid Mode) for it on my upsampled material. I upsampled to 32/96 in order to have more headroom for processing. The processed files are stored as WavPack lossy, that way the archives stayed small. The original, unprocessed tracks are matched in volume and also stored in WavPack lossy. Both are stored with a relatively high bitrate.

This is my configuration for Ozone:

I was aiming to counterbalance the suspected EQing the engineer Mr. Meller had done before maximizing the loudness - and of course to inject with my own personal preference. Since I´m not very experienced with this kind of music it may sound awkward. The overall result is less direct sound with a bit more punch and crisper high frequencies.

[attachment=5202:Otherside.rar]
[attachment=5201:Californication.rar]
[attachment=5203:Right_on_Time.rar]
marlene-d.blogspot.com