Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: cd's same track eac and different data (Read 3207 times) previous topic - next topic

cd's same track eac and different data

Hey guys,

I am ripping some cd's from a friend and happen to have one of them.  I ripped both cd's with eac in secure mode (no c2 and with caching on for both to be sure) and am getting when i do a bit compare with the wav files of two of the same tracks from these cds about 22905297 samples different...

Is this from scratches ??

I didn't think eac would rip without errors with this kind of difference...

Reply #1
ok i just used the compare utility in eac and i get when i compare the first two tracks of the cd 328 repeated samples at 0:00:00.061 and when i compare the 7th tracks of the cd i get 328 missing samples at 0:00:00.000

this just means the cd's were written starting at slightly different spots right?  or that i am using two different drives right with different offsets?? (which i am) 

but does it mean i am loosing any data??  thanks

Reply #2
Different pressings can result in different offsets as can different drives that aren't calibrated.

With the information you have provided there is absolutely no way to tell if it is one, the other, or both.

You asked if you are losing data.  Does the rip indicate that there were errors???

Reply #3
"or that i am using two different drives right with different offsets?? (which i am)"

From what you have said, this seems the most likely explanation to me, assuming you ripped each CD with a different drive.

Reply #4
eac does not indeed say there are any errors.  So if there is a big fat scratch on a cd thta destroys the data, when eac reads that it will get the same result everytime right?  so that would or wouldn't result in an error?

this is good news though =)

Reply #5
With some scratches, etc., EAC will indeed read the same data with every attempt. It may not necessarily be the (100%) "right" data but it'll probably be the best you can get!

If you want to test for yourself, do a few rips and compare them. If you're consistently getting the same results, I think you can be happy with how your drive handles the CD.