Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musical_spectrum - Broken on Windows 11 (Read 893 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_musical_spectrum - Broken on Windows 11

apologies for making an entire thread about this, but apparently i'm not the only one with this issue...

i was just wondering if anybody had a fix for this. ever since i upgraded to Windows 11, the Musical Spectrum component is incredibly choppy and laggy if you have any other components running — sometimes to the point where it's not even synced with the music. it worked perfectly fine on Windows 10 regardless of how busy my layout was.

i know the component is really old so i don't believe we'll ever see a fix from its developer. huge shame, it's undoubtedly the best spectrum visualizer out there.

while i'm here, i may as well share some findings in my effort to fix this problem. hopefully this helps some of you!

fixes that didn't work:
  • compatibility mode (because it's never that simple, right?)
  • changing the channels to just FL FR
  • enabling hardware acceleration for visualizations in foobar preferences (this actually made it worse, i'll elaborate below)
  • enabling hardware acceleration for foobar as a whole in Windows settings
  • tinkering with literally any of the settings
  • switching between Default UI and Columns UI; the issue persists
  • resizing the spectrum, even making it tiny.

temporary fixes:
  • an extremely barebones layout that only uses one lightweight component (such as Facets), or foobar's default playlist/library viewers. this eliminates all lag. hardware acceleration makes it lag no matter what, regardless of how barebones your layout is.
  • if you have components that 'update' with playback of a different song (such as lyricshow3 or coverflow), the component stops lagging after playing the same song a couple times.

Re: foo_musical_spectrum - Broken on Windows 11

Reply #1
Same issue here. I also attempted to troubleshoot following similar patterns of logic, but sadly couldn't find a reliable way to restore a stable framerate.
you should know that
bullets ƒly through you
no more worries
nothing touches you