Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to test a used amplifier? (Read 1916 times) previous topic - next topic

How to test a used amplifier?

I am looking to buy a used amplifier and would like advice on what to look for to get a good working amplifier. What things do I look for in sound; what kind of tests are good to do? I could probably get a volt meter or some other equipment if not expensive. There is a used audio shop nearby and I will go to see what they have.

Joe

Re: How to test a used amplifier?

Reply #1
I am looking to buy a used amplifier and would like advice on what to look for to get a good working amplifier. What things do I look for in sound; what kind of tests are good to do? I could probably get a volt meter or some other equipment if not expensive. There is a used audio shop nearby and I will go to see what they have.

Usually simple power and distortion tests with a dummy load will point out most faults in a used amp that you will eventually notice in actual listening or notice immediately.   I've done well by just running RMAA at full power into 8 ohm dummy loads.

Reply #2
Any reputable audio equipment reseller would have already tested
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #3

Usually simple power and distortion tests with a dummy load will point out most faults in a used amp that you will eventually notice in actual listening or notice immediately.  I've done well by just running RMAA at full power into 8 ohm dummy loads.

This is new to me. Do you have a link of a tutorial or information on how to do this?
I read an post on http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/148051-measure-amps.html
where someone talked about the dangers of RMAA to audio equipment.

Also my Pc sound card doesn't work. I am thinking of getting a dac to go to the amp. Will this be OK?