Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: compiling (IN_)FAAD... (Read 6395 times) previous topic - next topic

compiling (IN_)FAAD...

i'm (less than a novice) using MSVC++6 to compile the winamp plugin from WinCVS and am getting a DLL between 2-3 times the size of the one someone was so kind as to email me (a month or so ago), not to mention, quite slow (pauses between songs for 2-3 seconds)...

this is compiler-related, right? there shouldn't have been so many changes to the source as to deteriorate performace, should there have been.

now the question is: is there a way to tell VC++ to compile for size/speed like in MSVB? or do you use a CLI compiler? if so which one, and what command line.. er.. commands do you use? (tinkered around with one for a while but only got majorly confused)

compiling (IN_)FAAD...

Reply #1
ID3 editing has been added, this gives quite some extra size to the DLL. The extra time between songs comes from the fact that in_aac needs to run through the whole file for the seeking information.

Menno

compiling (IN_)FAAD...

Reply #2
Perhaps you're compiling in debug mode and not in release mode.

compiling (IN_)FAAD...

Reply #3
The smaller DLL may also have been compressed using, for example, UPX. If you apply UPX to the PsyTEL Math DLL, the size reduces to about 10% with no difference in performance.

compiling (IN_)FAAD...

Reply #4
thx! i just found size and speed compiling options... i'll  try them and/or UPX out...

EDIT
well, i guess it was on Debug. i tried Maximize Speed and Minimize Size, both of which didn't work -- they reported the following:

[span style='font-size:9']
(maximize speed)
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
Command line error D2016 : '/ZI' and '/O2' command-line options are incompatible
Error executing cl.exe.

in_aac.dll - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

(minimize size)
Compiling...
Command line error D2016 : '/ZI' and '/O1' command-line options are incompatible
Error executing cl.exe.

in_aac.dll - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
[/span]

just before i wrote in, i saw another option, Default, that worked (and reported the usual 4 warnings). are there any other options to tweak in the Settings panel? Warning Levels, Preprocessor Definitions, or Project Options?

what all did you use to compile it?

compiling (IN_)FAAD...

Reply #5
Go to Build->Set Active Configuration
and select in_aac - Win32 Release

Menno

compiling (IN_)FAAD...

Reply #6
thanks for all the help! however...

i'm assuming the following warnings are pretty much normal?

[span style='font-size:9']H:vb6faadfaadpluginswinampaacinfo.c(213) : warning C4018: '<' : signed/unsigned mismatch
filestream.c
H:vb6faadfaadpluginswinampfilestream.c(353) : warning C4018: '<' : signed/unsigned mismatch
id3v2tag.c
in_aac.c
H:vb6faadfaadpluginswinampin_aac.c(853) : warning C4018: '>=' : signed/unsigned mismatch
[/span]

however, i've run into this error (both on the ZIP i downloaded from the audiocoding website and from getting the code in WinCVS.. i wanted to make sure the same thing happened at home that did at school)

[span style='font-size:9']LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file "vb6faadfaadlibfaadReleaselibfaad.lib"
Error executing link.exe.

in_aac.dll - 1 error(s), 3 warning(s)
[/span]

anyone else having this problem? anyone have this libfaad.lib file?

oh, and i also wanted to note that it happens both on comiling for Speed and Default settings (thank goodness for preview reply)