Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to add additional sub to my HK Sticks 3  (Read 2837 times) previous topic - next topic

How to add additional sub to my HK Sticks 3

Hi,

I have an HK 3 2.1 system, I love the speakers but the bass is not good enough as my living room is bit large for this system, so I am planning to add an additional active sub woofer (like Yamaha YSTFSW050BL) but I am not sure how to set it up.

The HK3 takes a 3.5 input , so am planning to split the output from my audio source - 1 for HK3 & 1 for sub woofer via 3.5 mm to RCA cable, but I don't know if the sub woofer will work without an amplifier or receiver? If it will not is there any way to make it work? I don't want to spend on amp/receiver as I am planning to get a mid range receiver in future.

I hope someone can understand what I am trying to achieve & clarify. TIA.

Re: How to add additional sub to my HK Sticks 3

Reply #1
You'd need a powered subwoofer. (Also called "active" instead of "powered.")

As for connecting it, you can't just split the source in two. This will halve the output power. You'd need a powered splitter (not even sure this exists).

However, if your source is a PC, then you can enable stereo upmixing to 5.1, and connect the sub to one of the surround 3.5mm jacks. Not sure if every sound chip or sound card supports this though. Mine does (a Xonar D1 in Linux), and I use that function to connect both my speakers as well my headphones at the same time.

Reply #2
Nikaki has it exactly; you may be able to get away with a direct lead from your soundcard if it will drive two stereo outputs simultaneously.

If you're splitting the output you're halving the signal, which is not what you want.

What you could do is put in a line level amplifier then split the signal between the preexisting system and another sub. Frankly it seems like a lot of work for a set of soundsticks, but if you like them that much, go for it.

Personally I'd suggest going with something less pricey than the Yamaha subs. I've personally never been impressed with the value of Yamaha electronics relative to alternatives. The Polk psw10 is well liked at the $~95 price point, and there's probably better deals on better subs if you look around.

Reply #3
I am planning to add an additional active sub woofer

I don't know if the sub woofer will work without an amplifier
"Active" = amplified, no amp needed.
Just split the signal from your source like you planned with a y-cable and you'll be fine.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #4
Just split the signal from your source like you planned with a y-cable and you'll be fine.
Doesn't that result in lower output volume?

Reply #5

I am planning to add an additional active sub woofer

I don't know if the sub woofer will work without an amplifier
"Active" = amplified, no amp needed.
You're aware the poster has these and wants to add a much larger powered sub?

Splitting the line out before the HK soundsticks is going to attenuate the line in signal sent to what is an already underpowered 2.1 computer speaker setup.

Were it housing a reasonably powerful amp rarely being driven near its limits then it seems reasonable to take the trivial max output hit with a cheap splitter.

H/K claims a maximum total input power for the complete 2.1 system is 65W, and mass market  "multimedia speaker" sets are rarely packing particularly high quality amplification.

Since the poster wants more output rather than less, risking kicking the noise floor up and dropping peak power output doesn't seem like a great bet with computer speakers.  It would be eminently inexpensive to try out, however.

Reply #6
Doesn't that result in lower output volume?
That would depend on several factors including the output capability of the soundcard and input impedances/sensitivities of actives.
A y-cable is $3 and reusable in other apps. I read the OPs entire post including present/future desired expenditure.
Try a y-cable.
Loudspeaker manufacturer