Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC run in the backgrn w/other programs or not? (Read 3286 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC run in the backgrn w/other programs or not?

Please correct me if I am wrong...but I would assume that in using EAC, both in ripping tracks from a CD, and encoding them w/LAME I should not even use my computer at all to minimize the chance of any error's happening right?

I am curious if anyone has actually done the above but run programs in the background or surfed the Internet, and if so, what browser they were using.

I would like to hear people's feedback and/or results on this one.

I could not find any info. on this in the FAQs.

Thanks in advance.
5G iPod 60gig, White
Shure E2Cs

Reply #1
I actually am doing this right now. I have a 1Ghz Athlon with 256MB of memory and have been ripping in EAC and encoding MP3s while surfing the web with Firefox PR1.0. Right now I have 58 compression tasks left to do in LAME :-)

I notice my machine slows down while I'm ripping but when it's only encoding I see no slowing at all. When I'm not actively using my PC the CPU utilization jumps to 99 per cent under Windows XP Pro while encoding but it gives it up when I switch to an application/surf the web.

To date I've had no problems doing two things at once. That's not to say, of course, that leaving the machine along while ripping/encoding.

Reply #2
Please correct me if I am wrong...but I would assume that in using EAC, both in ripping tracks from a CD, and encoding them w/LAME I should not even use my computer at all to minimize the chance of any error's happening right?

I am curious if anyone has actually done the above but run programs in the background or surfed the Internet, and if so, what browser they were using.

I would like to hear people's feedback and/or results on this one.

I could not find any info. on this in the FAQs.

Thanks in advance.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=252412"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used to do this all the time.  I actually ripped/encoded on my work PC while doing my job (email/surfing/IM/order entry system/CRM/etc.)  I never noticed any problems with my ripped files.  Obviously, my CPU performance went down but my job didn't require a lot of processing power.

Reply #3
I'm doing it right now. When the FLAC files are encoding, the PC is slightly bogged down, but nothing goes wrong, that I've heard anyway, with the end results.
Firefox, Thunderbird, two desktop shells, Prime95 (testing undervolt), FB2K, EAC, MAREO, FLAC/LAME, all living together quite happily.

Reply #4
Short: no.
Multi-tasking might be an issue with normal burst mode rippers but it is not with EAC in secure mode.

Reply #5
Thanks a lot guys...that's very helpful information!!
5G iPod 60gig, White
Shure E2Cs