Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 'alt-preset fast standard' and lowpass (Read 2983 times) previous topic - next topic

'alt-preset fast standard' and lowpass

I determined by ABXing that for me it is imposible to recognize a song lowpassed at 18000Hz (even though I can hear a sweep up to ~19500Hz), So I was thinking about using 18KHz as the lowpass filter when encoding my APEs to MP3s for my portable.

But I'm unsure if it was safe to change the lowpass filter in the alt-presets since  many are told to leave the presets without any command line modifications.

I'm using Lame 3.90.2.

PS. I lowpassed the wavs using CEP2 @ 32bit,  and dithered the results using a triangular 0.54-bit dither. then used WinAbx to compare ( Are there any errors in this approach for determinig my lowpass cut-off )

Sorry for my English.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #1
By changing the lowpass with APS yes, you will get reduced quality. At least that's what i got when i tried it with some songs. It's probably always best to leave the alt presets as they are, so they'll work best.
(don't be sorry about your english, it didn't offend me that much  .. {edit: -I- like your sig })

Reply #2
Well, I guess I'll leave then alone. A lowpass at 18KHz is doesn't represent a 'great' bit-rate reduction anyway.

Thanks for you answer.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #3
Have you tried APE -Y? IIRC, APS -Y applies a lowpass at 16 kHz most of the time, only encoding higher frequencies if there's much energy. For some types of music it decreases bitrate noticably. The -Y switch is considered to be safe for APS, but I'm not sure about API. Maybe someone else can tell?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello