Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC to MP3 (Read 6733 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC to MP3

As my question in the previous thread didn't get answered I'll ask here instead and try to keep the topic in the other thread.
Sometime ago I heard that MPC to MP3 isn't that bad transcoding because of the MPC format.
Can anyone tell me if this is true?
And would it be possible to make good transparant MP3's from Insane MPC?
And would it be at the same LAME preset as when ripping from CD?

MPC to MP3

Reply #1
Any transcoding is bad no matter what formats were chosen. Of course the quality after the transcoding depends on the formats (their quality) and there is a high possiblity you will get a transparent result from what you are about to do.
But there is no replacement for ripping from CD.
portable: 128 kbps cbr AAC
local: -7 FLAC

MPC to MP3

Reply #2
Sometime ago I heard that MPC to MP3 isn't that bad transcoding because of the MPC format.
Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Because of the Musepack's technical nature, it's initially more suited for transcoding at -insane and up. So yes, in some way this is true. However, would that be good enough for you, is up to you to decide. Sometimes I use to transcode -braindead mpc's to MP3 and there's no difference for me between the transcoded and the originally encoded mp3's.

And would it be possible to make good transparant MP3's from Insane MPC?

Maybe so, it depends virtually on everything. Just try.

And would it be at the same LAME preset as when ripping from CD?

I'd rather take one step higher from usual to be safe.

Anyway, do everything you want, just try not to spread the transcoded MP3s.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

MPC to MP3

Reply #3
years ago, when klemm was still around gracing our presence, i was unable to abx a few lossless>mpc>mp3 transcodes versus lossless>mp3 encodes.

mpc >= extreme
mp3 = cbr 128

try it out