Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ID3v2 tags (Read 13561 times) previous topic - next topic

ID3v2 tags

Can someone explain me why ID3v1 tags would get chosen over ID3v2 tags in the new Foobar?

ID3v2 tags

Reply #1
foobar2000 writes ID3v1 tags if the information you want to store in your files fits in the size limited ID3v1 tag (30 characters for album/title/artist for example and no custom and extended tag fields). If the tag fields won't fit in the ID3v1 tag, foobar2000 writes an ID3v2.4 tag to your files.

You can change tag types via the 'Tagging > MP3 tag types' feature from the context menu.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #2
foobar2000 writes ID3v1 tags if the information you want to store in your files fits in the size limited ID3v1 tag (30 characters for album/title/artist for example and no custom and extended tag fields). If the tag fields won't fit in the ID3v1 tag, foobar2000 writes an ID3v2.4 tag to your files.

You can change tag types via the 'Tagging > MP3 tag types' feature from the context menu.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373761"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was talking about mp3s that are already tagged with ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #3
I was talking about mp3s that are already tagged with ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

foobar2000 0.9 updates both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags if your files already contains these tag types (same for APEv2). (see FAQ)

If the ID3v2 tags are not displayed in other programs you're using, these programs are missing support for ID3v2.4 tags.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #4
If the ID3v2 tags are not displayed in other programs you're using, these programs are missing support for ID3v2.4 tags.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374161"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So just to clarify, the reason my newly tagged MP3s from v0.9 do not all appear in v0.83 is because v0.83 does not support ID3v2.4?

ID3v2 tags

Reply #5
So just to clarify, the reason my newly tagged MP3s from v0.9 do not all appear in v0.83 is because v0.83 does not support ID3v2.4?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375732"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, exactly. But foobar2000 0.8.3 can display the ID3v1 tags (if your file are tagged with ID3v1 too).

ID3v2 tags

Reply #6
im using 0.9

why is it that one album has the "invovled people" tag while all my others do not have it? all have been tagged from the "godfather" tagging program. this tag has been deleted around about when the RC were released.

the tag type for all songs including the one that works is id3v2|id3v1

ID3v2 tags

Reply #7
why is it that one album has the "invovled people" tag while all my others do not have it? all have been tagged from the "godfather" tagging program. this tag has been deleted around about when the RC were released.

foobar2000 0.9 doesn't display the IPLS/TIPL ID3v2 frame (but will keep it on tag updates). If one of your albums has the involved people list displayed in foobar2000, it's probably a user defined tag field (TXXX) named "involved people".

ID3v2 tags

Reply #8
So foobar2000 0.9 shows only tags with frame id TXXX, ommiting during update any other? Did 0.8.3 deleted them (other than TXXX)?

ID3v2 tags

Reply #9
it seems that v0.9 is not displaying the UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag from ID3v2 too 

btw. i think ID3v2.3 tags should be used instead of v2.4 for more compatibility. the best would be an option to select between 2.3 and 2.4

ID3v2 tags

Reply #10
Yeah, why it doesnt show UNSYNCEDLYRICS ? :/

I experimented a little bit and it looks like 0.8.3 deleted tags it didnt displayed (for exapmle images). 0.9 dont touch them, however it dont show UNSYNCEDLYRICS (0.8.3 did).

IMO 0.9 should show all tags (or at least there should be option to delete the ones it dont show). The way it is now, i dont even know if my files are full of s*it or not :/

ID3v2 tags

Reply #11
Couldn't you just do...

Code: [Select]
if ( ! ( ID3v2 == "" )) then
{ DISPLAY ID3v2 TAG }
else
{ DISPLAY ID3v1 TAG }

I should write my own program, I know

ID3v2 tags

Reply #12
So foobar2000 0.9 shows only tags with frame id TXXX, ommiting during update any other? Did 0.8.3 deleted them (other than TXXX)?
foobar2000 0.9 reads other tags too, but the one that is displayed as "INVOLVED PEOPLE" in 0.9 final is probably a TXXX frame with "INVOLVED PEOPLE" as description. Don't know about foobar2000 0.8.3 - it's uninteresting.

You're right and I don't think that there are plans to display this field. If you want clean tags, just strip them from your files and add them by yourself (or use another tagger which displays that field).

Couldn't you just do...

{ DISPLAY ID3v2 TAG }
else
{ DISPLAY ID3v1 TAG }

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376512"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is what foobar2000 does and it's totally unrelated to this post.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #13
So why 0.9 shows all (but i'm not sure about that) apev2 tags, but not the id3v2?

In 0.8.3 stripping unwanted tags was very usefull as i had all the features i wanted in foo. Not foo not only doesnt display them (not allowing me to know about them) but also there is no option to delete them. And vision of using additional software reminds me old times with winamp :/

So what tags arent shown by 0.9 except UNSYNCEDLYRICS?

ID3v2 tags

Reply #14
The difference between APEv2 and ID3v2 here is that in APEv2 all fields are stored in the same format - as a (name, value) pair - and the name is exactly the one you see in the foobar2000 properties window. ID3v2 on the other hand, uses different encodings (not talking about text encodings here) for different tags. It also uses special codes instead of plain text tag names, which probably is the primary problem.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #15
You're right and I don't think that there are plans to display this field. If you want clean tags, just strip them from your files and add them by yourself (or use another tagger which displays that field).

That's a big problem, because almost all of my mp3s have the lyrics stored in the UNSYNCEDLYRICS field and i want to access them during playback.

Maybe some good soul could write a plugin for this ?

ID3v2 tags

Reply #16
also showing the track numbers in <track>/<total> format (eg. 05/15) was much better than showing the totaltracks in a different field, like it is now in 0.9

ID3v2 tags

Reply #17
The difference between APEv2 and ID3v2 here is that in APEv2 all fields are stored in the same format - as a (name, value) pair - and the name is exactly the one you see in the foobar2000 properties window. ID3v2 on the other hand, uses different encodings (not talking about text encodings here) for different tags. It also uses special codes instead of plain text tag names, which probably is the primary problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376651"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure I understood all this but let me try a question.

My collection is made of wavpack and MP3, all of them almost flawlessly tagged with 0.8.3.
I had the APE2+ID3v1 option ON.
The most of the standard tagging was made through the freedb plugin then I added my custom tags.
Now, in 0.9 I see many things different than with 0.8.3.
The question : is there a way to copy the ID3 (v1 or v2)  info into APE2 and then stripe away all the ID3s?
The goal is to see in 0.9 exactly what I already see in 0.8.3 without having to do things manually.
If yes, which tool or app would be the best?

Thanks.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #18
Couldn't you just do...

{ DISPLAY ID3v2 TAG }
else
{ DISPLAY ID3v1 TAG }

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376512"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is what foobar2000 does and it's totally unrelated to this post.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376570"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hm... that was the whole point of my first post actually.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #19

Okay.

foobar2000 0.9 prefers the contents of an ID3v2 tag to the contents of an ID3v1 tag, so it does exactly what you were suggesting.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #20

Okay.

foobar2000 0.9 prefers the contents of an ID3v2 tag to the contents of an ID3v1 tag, so it does exactly what you were suggesting.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=377077"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Alright, good.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #21
My collection is made of wavpack and MP3, all of them almost flawlessly tagged with 0.8.3.
I had the APE2+ID3v1 option ON.
The most of the standard tagging was made through the freedb plugin then I added my custom tags.
Now, in 0.9 I see many things different than with 0.8.3.
The question : is there a way to copy the ID3 (v1 or v2)  info into APE2 and then stripe away all the ID3s?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376802"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure, but couldn't you do this:

If your files all have APE+ID3 already, you would select them all, right-click and go to Tagging > MP3 Tag Types, and then uncheck APEv2 (leaving ID3v1 checked). When they're done updating, you'll be left with a bunch of files that only have ID3v1. Then repeat the process, except this time re-check APEv2. That should copy whatever's in ID3v1 to APE. Then repeat the process one more time, but this time uncheck ID3v1, leaving only the APE tags.

I haven't tested this method and it is kind of a hassle, but it seems logical that it should work that way.
~

ID3v2 tags

Reply #22
To sum up - foobar2000 0.9:
^ dont delete any proper tags (and frames), even those that arent displayed, just rewrites them to its own standards (set in context). Right?
^ deletes the unproper tags. Right?

But the question, i cant find answer to anywhere is, what tags arent supported (or better which are supported)?

ID3v2 tags

Reply #23
today i experienced another strange behaviour with tags. v0.9 was showing tags, that were clearly not in the file (even when i clicked reload info). Most probably it was reading the tags from the database, or something. when i tryied to edit the tags, it corrupted the PUBLISHER and BAND fields.
Finally i tried to select the whole album and used Reload info from all files, then it showed exactly the tags that were in the files.

ID3v2 tags

Reply #24
I have also had some unexpected experiences with using v0.9 to write ID3 tags.  It seems as though F2k preferentially writes to ID3v1, but preferentially reads from ID3v2.  Overall effect was to introduce problems in interoperating with another tagging program. 

More here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=43182