Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Increase in LAME performance? (Read 4159 times) previous topic - next topic

Increase in LAME performance?

I was reading a few articles about the new Intel die shrink and core revision and something caught my eye.
Today Intel disclosed that Penryn will feature a 4-bit per cycle divider, that the company claims will offer 4X the performance of current processors for square root operations...
From this article.

Now if I remember correctly, isn't the bottleneck in current versions of LAME the sqrt() function? I was just curious what some of the more technical minded members of HA and/or developers thought this might mean for performance, if anything at all.

Reply #1
mhh that would suck... then i do not even have to wait any more for a song to be encoded since it would be so fast

Reply #2
Penryn-based processors also have a much better divider unit, roughly doubling the divider speed using a faster divide technique called Radix 16. Also, the shuffle engine has been improved. Intel's "Super Shuffle Engine" is a 128-bit, single-pass shuffle unit that can perform full-width shuffles in a single cycle, improving performance for SSE2, SSE3 and SSE4 instructions that have shuffle-like operations such as pack, unpack and wider packed shifts.
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy